September 16, 2014

Chef Irvine gets axed

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 4th 2008 8:03AM
Chef Robert IrvineRemember when you were young and your parents told you things like "cheaters never prosper"? Well, it's true. (All right, not all the time, but at least this time!) As TV Squad reported recently, Chef Robert Irvine, star of Food Network's Dinner: Impossible, has been hoist on his own petard. Now that the truth is out -- that he lied and padded his resume -- the network has dumped him. His fire has been extinguished. Dinner: Impossible will go on, but not with Chef Irvine as chief cook and chef extraordinaire.

Food Network president Brooke Johnson said in a statement, "We appreciate Robert's remorse about his actions, and we can revisit this decision at the end of the production cycle, but for now we will be looking for a replacement host."

DI episodes with Robert will continue to air. No word on whether they'll be pulling the plug on the Season Four episodes he's currently filming. Also up in the air is that March episode of Chefography. That's FN's biography series. It would be a wee bit awkward to air an hour bio about the guy when it turns out that he's more fiction than fact.

Looking at the current crop of Food Network chefs, who could continue with the Dinner: Impossible franchise and pull it off? Bobby Flay is already doing a similar show, Throwdown with Bobby Flay, and it's not really a Paula Deen kind of property. My choice would be Alton Brown, but AB is probably more interested in doing his own thing (which is why he's good at what he does!) How about Tyler Florence?

Lynn

I have never been a fan of Irvine! I could not put my finger on it, but every time I would watch Restaurant Impossible I was continually annoyed by this man. I am a big fan of Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen NIghtmares, and although many individuals find Gordan arrogant and rude, if you watch the show, you find he is a genuinely caring, talented, and stand up chef!

I began watching Restaurant Impossible because of my love of Kitchen Nightmares and my love of the restaurant industry! I do know the restaurant industry and good food having lived in it my entire life. In my opinion, not only did Irvine present himself as arrogant, a know it all, and showing little to no appreciate for his own team, he was not that talented of a chef. Irvine constantly displayed the same tired ideas and his only advice to the kitchen staff was use fresh product and season with salt and pepper - any chef worth his salt (no pun intended) can spout this advice. Irvine's approach lacked flare, innovation, and anything unique. I am sure the food was dramatically improved, but any dish is a step up from microwaved frozen product. His dishes were nothing compared to Gordon's innovation and simplicity.

After reading the current scandal with Irvine, I am not surprised in the least and I am almost relieved/happy my suspicions have been corroborated. I am also quite disappointed with the Food Network as they did not check into these very ostentatious claims! The only positive is that Irvine has saved several struggling/failing restaurants. I applaud him for this accomplishment and would actually be a fan if he was not a liar and displayed a little humility and compassion while aiding these restaurants. Luckily, Gordon Ramsay is doing just this and I will continue to be a loyal fan of Kitchen Nightmares.

March 15 2012 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
djinjuice

Stupid move Food Network, Robert Irvine is the only reason I even watch that show. Who cares if he padded his resume? You should fire the dumb ass that didn't do a thorough back ground check.

June 09 2011 at 6:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
firstmate1122

I cannot believe the sheer STUPIDITY of the Food Network's decision to can Robert Irvine. NOT disregarding the potential for resume embellishment - and how many of US haven't committed the same sin at one time or another? But consider the show's premise - throw the man into the fire with no advance warning of place or game rules, and the man SUCEEDED, while providing both entertaining and informative ideas for both food combinations, presentation strategies and ROCKED the participants with great food and a winning attitude. Quit sitting on your heads and bring him BACK - Symond was JOKE and only lasted about 3 episodes - so go back to your PROVEN winner - and let him continue!

June 09 2011 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

I am on the Food Channel all the time. I really had begun to really like the whole show DI , the premise , the mission impossible episodes. I even liked looked at and trying some of the recipes. It is creative, lots of fun and different. But this is the 2nd time this has happened to the Food Channel. It was impossible that they picked that guy over Amy for the finals but FC did and I won't say why I think they did. Well they got egg on their face big time and you would have thought they could not let this happen to a "prominent " chef. Will the CH now look at everyone's resume , their grades etc etc.?

May 16 2008 at 11:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gretchen Snider

My whole day just got ruined. I knew nothing about Robert being fired. I never miss DI, and think he's wonderful. This is just a TV show--he's not running for office. And for me, the worst part is replacing him with Symond. I can't stand his giggle, so will now stop watching DI completely. I suspect that a lot of other people dislike him, since he has had only one Iron Chef challenge, and his challenger was chosen for him.

May 15 2008 at 4:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
charles

Oh please look at the Morons on the food network like Emeril , Bobby Flay, Guy fierie, Anthony Bourdan. Get rid of those idoits.Dont get rid of someone with personality and talent, like Robert Irvine.

March 26 2008 at 1:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
JJ

Obviously the man can cook. Not only can he cook he is able to satisfy large groups of people in a very short amount of time. So what if he carried the trays for the wedding cake for the prince and princess? He had a part in it didn't he? Granted, it was not an integral part but a part nonetheless. I love how the masses instantly turn on someone like this. Save your venomous tongues for the druggies and rapist otherwise known as politicians.

March 23 2008 at 2:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
GG

This is not the government. If it were, Robert Irvine would be just fine. I would be sorry to see DI go. It is entertaining. That is the point. The Food Network is entertainment. When I want to really learn fine culinary techniques I turn to PBS. Julia, Lidia, et al are still the best teachers around. They will never get stale. Bobby and Alton are keepers. I love Ina, but its time to revamp, and I have learned to appreciate Giada ( Someone has to pull in the reins at FTV. Time to take stock of their mission, I think it was more than selling knives, books, CD's and aprons.

March 19 2008 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C. Rojas

Politicians lie all the time thats a known fact, what makes this any different, he knows how to cook, does it really matter what it said on his resume - the man can cook and that is all that matters.......

March 12 2008 at 3:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
clare stevenson

I am really sick of the food networks banal "chefs" that they repeat over and over again. Chef Irvine was a breath of fresh air on their program as opossed to Sandraaa, Inaaaa, and Rachealllllllllevoooooooooo! (Oh, and not to mention Giada's painfully overly ennunciated Italian words--ouch.) I could care less about his credentials, padded or not--He cooks with flair and expertise and is the model for what real cooks do. They rise to the occasion, do their job with whatever resources they have and make the mundane ingredients they have on hand elegant.

Mario Batali is probably way too busy to do this anymore.

AB is a scientist

Emeril is a clumsy-handed buffoon

and why can't we get professionals to do these shows--like real chefs!

It's like the elections, they always dig up dirt on worthy canidates.

March 11 2008 at 12:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply