September 2, 2014

FX to debut Shield's final season in September

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 5th 2008 2:01PM

Michael Chiklis and Walton GogginsWell it's about time. According to Ausiello over at TV Guide, FX plans to air the final 13 episodes of The Shield starting in September. Originally set to air starting in April, the final season was completed before the writer's strike hit. However, it still affected the show.

The strike cut short the most recent seasons of Nip/Tuck, Dirt, and The Riches. Nip/Tuck's finale aired a few weeks ago, Dirt just premiered this past Sunday, and The Riches returns next Tuesday, March 18th. Because of the truncated seasons for Dirt and The Riches (each finished only seven installments), they moved up in the schedule to March/April, displacing The Shield.

Additionally, FX's standard of airing Rescue Me during the summer was also put on hold. Ausiello reports that its 22 episode fifth season won't return until March of 2009. That's probably a good thing since it would have been competing with The Olympics -- another reason The Shield is being held until September. The TV Guide gossip guru went on to say that the first of Damages' two new seasons would also return in early '09.

[Thanks to Brandon for the tip!]

Anthony

It's gonna be a long wait 'till September. The Shield is by far the BEST drama on TV. Best storylines, best acting, best character development, etc. I know I'll feel a huge void when that last episode is over. But I'd prefer that to seeing a great show drag on beyond it's time. Shawn Ryan has the right idea ending this show after the 7th season. He actually wanted to end it after the 5th but FX convinced him to keep going. All good things come to an end, what goes up must come down, etc...Besides, how many narrow escapes from jail and/or death can Vic Mackey realistically pull off

April 22 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Justin

I've known since around Sept. of last year that The Shield was making season 7 its last season! I agree with everyone on here that that f*$kin sucks major ass! Though you have to think of it logically, no show (with the exception of The Simpsons, or Law and Order) lasts forever, and eventually the actors, directors, producers etc. want to move on to pursue other ventures! I like everyone else will def. miss this phenomenal show, but would you rather see this show go out with a huge Bang like it started, or would you rather see it dragged out to the point that it starts to not make sense and people get tired of seeing the same storylines, because Shawn Ryan, or the others associated with the writing of this show fails to see the point in putting anymore effort into it?
Plus not to mention, that Shawn Ryan has stated in some interviews that he wants to put more effort into his other creation, which is "The Unit" as well as "The Oaks" which he wants to get those 2 shows the notoriety as The Shield has!

April 11 2008 at 6:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xraydusa

Yikes. What a frikin' bummer. WHERE'S MY SHIELD? September...fuck that, what if I die between now and then? I want it NOW. The Shield is the craziest, greatest show I've ever seen- It's April, spring has sprung the grass has riz, I wonder where Mackie is. Sitting on a shelf in Hollywood?
Bollocks.

April 10 2008 at 1:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennnnnnnnnn

NNNNNNOooooooooo!!!

YOU CANNOT CANCEL THE SHIELD>>> It's the only show we have BEEN WAITING FOR and will always wait for year after year......

(BTW..can you at least show a few episodes before the summer?????!!!)

One season left... WTF! Get a grip FX...

It would be nice if you would be loyal to The SHield followers...keep it until the actors want to move on.. (like NYPD blue!!!

I would be down with that!

April 02 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ladybrendarebel

my husband has been waiting for the shield to come back out all year he is going to be very upset to know that this is the last season for the show i taped the shield for him every week because he works out of town and i'm not looking forward to telling him his favorite show is going off the air after this september it just plain sucks the shield will surely be missed fx is going to lose alot of supporters and that includes me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will delete fox channel from my dvr after the shields last season is finished

April 01 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cindy Lee O\'Hara

I can't believe that this is the last season for the Shield! The Shield is the only reason I watch FX. I have been waiting and waiting to find out when it was going to be back on. I've been watching all of the past seasons so I can be ready for the new season. What I just do not nderstand is why FX is calling it quits with the Shield after this season? Evedently they don't know a good thing even if it slaps them in the face. All of the actors, of course , Micheal is my favorite, do such an awesome job. I do wish though Lem wouldn't have died. I know that when the show is over, I'll no longer be watching FX. I think they must be related to A&E when they took The Dog of the air.

March 26 2008 at 2:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
loren

fuck that shit! the shield is what put FX on the map as a serious contender in original programing. thats so fucking lame they are bumping it for they that awful show about the paparazzi. why is that even a show? we don't get enough of it already with all the entertainment shows, magazines, and internet sites/blogs??

bad form, fx. way to treat a show that MADE you who you are today. the shield deserves more then that.

March 05 2008 at 11:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kronos

It's good to know 'The Shield' was able to get it's last season completed before the writers strike began. Sucks that 'The Riches' only got 8 finished though. I couldn't get into Nip/Tuck this season at all - and truth be told, even last season was having trouble keeping me interested. 'Dirt' I've never cared for at all. And hopefully 'Rescue Me' will be a little better this upcoming season compared to this last one.

I completely agree with Chip - I do enjoy the year 'round treatment of shows. As one finishes a season, another starts up elsewhere. Between F/X, USA ('Burn Notice' was a fun surprise), and now AMC ('Breaking Bad' continues to impress week after week) there's just great programming abound.

Network TV, I hardly watch, and it amazes me how well all the cookie-cutter crime/detective/doctor are doing. How many CSI type shows can we crank out? (Though, truth be told, I do enjoy NCIS.) How many missing people shows can we put together?

Not to mention the programs that get axed for showing even a little bit of promise ('American Gothic', 'Profit', 'Freaks and Geeks' anyone?) I mostly just avoid network TV altogether.

Which reminds me, does anyone know how well 'Dexter' is doing on network TV? I watched and enjoyed both seasons on Showtime, but haven't wanted to watch an edited version of the series.

March 05 2008 at 11:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Diego M

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

i like the riches and i love rescue me and The Shield. man i'm gonna have to wait till september there's nothing good.

The only Mackey fix i can get is Stewie's Detective Scrotes...

March 05 2008 at 10:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

PORQUE!!!

why do you people applaud a show coming out late? its done (as far as i know) and i want it NOW!

im going to cancel my F/X subscription ...

i need me some mackey!

March 05 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to khamel's comment
Oreo

Ok, maybe they won't give the show an ending at all? Would that be better?

March 05 2008 at 4:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
khamel

that wasn't an option. thats like saying "oh you dont like the fact that 24 isn't coming back this year, you should be happy its coming back ever!"

that specious logic dont work on me. the options were this spring or fall, not fall or never.

March 05 2008 at 4:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply