July 28, 2014

Jericho: Oversight

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 5th 2008 8:02AM

RIP(S02E04) Well now things are just getting ridiculous. There must be a way that the residents of Jericho can take a stand against the occupation in their town. Are we to believe that Jake, Eric, Dale and a few others are the only people who have a problem with the new government? Considering how well they were doing on their own, I find it hard to believe they would stand around and be bullied by Ravenwood.

As for Stanley, he talks like he won't come around until the government literally comes and takes everything he holds dear, including Mimi. With that in mind, I have to say that this review was difficult for me to write considering the way it ended.

I think it's hilarious how Mimi and her freakish accounting abilities are the only thing that poses a threat to Goetz. I suppose the only person qualified to take down an oppressive government agent acting outside the law is someone who has experience doing the same exact thing, i.e. an IRS agent.

Did I miss the scene where the Hawkins kids went to live somewhere else. I understand that they aren't very convenient to the story right now, but that's no reason to give them the Chuck Cunningham.

I'm very curious to find out whether or not John Smith is someone we've already met. Could it actually be Mayor Douchebag working from the inside or is it one of Jonah's men? Either way, I kind of need some closure on this bomb thing. I mean, someone's got to find it eventually, right?

The only thing better than Hawkins' plan to make Beck see what he wanted him to see was the reassurance that Beck is smarter than anyone gives him credit for. Now if only he would come around and help expose Valente and the rest of the conspirators.

My favorite scene in the show had to be Heather's search and destroy mission in Beck's office. Sprague Grayden's acting along with the dramatic camera angles made for a very tense part of the show. It makes me wonder why Grayden has been so underused this season.

At the risk of sounding naive, wouldn't it be easier to expose the conspiracy if Ravenwood and the military were gone? It's really frustrating watching the entire population of the town turn into mindless sheep when only a few weeks ago they were all banding together to defend themselves from an attack. Jake and the rest need to say "Nuts" to the Cheyenne government, make their own flag and declare themselves a sovereign government.

At the end of the day, it appears the only one with balls enough to do what needed to be done was the helpless little deaf girl. As sad as I am to see Bonnie go, I can't imagine any character who would make a better martyr.

Will Stanley eventually take out Goetz?
yes439 (89.8%)
no50 (10.2%)

BlueSkye

TeresaMac, the bombs went off months ago. I'm guessing that the producers have only got so much time to work with right now. I'd hope to see more about the radiation effects in SEASON 3. :-) :-) :-)

March 12 2008 at 6:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Insert Name

Thanks for the spoiler.

March 07 2008 at 10:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Insert Name

Sylvester Stallone should use Shoshannah Stern in his next movie and call it 'Bonniebo'.

March 07 2008 at 10:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

I've been continually impressed with this show, from about halfway through the first season. I was expecting a lot less from this handful of shows in the second season. I really like how Beck is a good man, unknowingly working for a corrupt "government". And for a show with such a reduced budget, I appreciate that they've managed to bring back nearly all the characters at one point or another, except for the mother, unfortunately.

And the parallels to Blackwater, Halliburton, and all the other attempts of the current administration to turn this country fascist (definition: government controlled by corporations) are very well done. I'd imagine they're quite upsetting to a lot of the red-state fan base that worked so hard to get this show back.

One point: a number of you mentioned "3 episodes until the season finale". That is NOT the case. There are 3 shows LEFT. Period. Including the season finale. Hence the big "FINAL THREE" logo they were showing in the previews.

March 07 2008 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Scott's comment
Earl

That's not the definition of fascism. It is a political theory that advocates an authoritarian, hierarchal government. More specifically, it advocates a dictatorship that enforces strict socioeconomic controls, suppression of opposition through fear and censorship, and nationalism. While the current government has no doubt done disproportionately stupid stuff, they have not tried to disband congress or remove the states' rights. They also have not shot Obama or Clinton.

March 09 2008 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

I really enjoy this show, and I like some subtleties in the scripting that definitely mirror how the US is today. I also enjoy your recaps / reviews of Jericho, but you missed some key things on this episode.

- Best part of the episode for me wasn't even talked about here: Hawkins' double-bluff on Beck. Beck is smart, and was able to sort of figure out what Hawkins was doing, but Hawkins looked him straight in the eye, and called him on it "what was on that hard drive? You found something, didn't you?" Hawkins is already a great TV character, and has a lot of potential for more development.

- You (and many of the commenters) question in this review and others about how its dumb that people are blind, or don't see this, or fall for that, or are sheep, or why is the Cheyenne govt paying for what is essentially marketing materials (President's stump speech, etc, new history books.

There's some oftentimes sad realities about typical US life:

- Many (not all) Americans typically ***are*** sheep. They will buy into whatever the "authority" says.

- America is a land driven by symbolism and visuals. It makes perfect sense to me that this new Cheyenne govt would capitalize on that wherever they can. Symbolism, for good or bad, is crucial to gaining support for your cause in the US.

- Stanley, worried about risking his farm (ie, his own livelyhood) was a perfect example of the common "me first" mentality that exists in the US. The writers were using the scriptline to show perhaps how the bulk of Jerichoans (lol! Jerichoites?) were probably feeling about the Corporation / Cheyenne takeover. As long as they were doing better themselves, why shake the boat.

I am enjoying the storyline this season - again, there's a lot of subtleties (and not so subtle stuff) that really mirrors where the US is today (except, of course, there hasn't been 25 nuclear detonations in various cities).

March 07 2008 at 6:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Toby OB

I think the J&R goon squad would have killed them anyway even if she gave them the ledger....

March 07 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dondo

It was a pump 12 gauge Jerich-HO, not a double barelled shotgun. From the closeup of it looks like it was capable of holding 5 shells in the magazine tube and one in the chamber so she easily could have killed the 3 or 4 ravenwood guys that she did. Additionally, since she was deaf she would have had to stay relatively exposed so she could see her enemies coming.

March 07 2008 at 12:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

I absolutely think J&R Blondie is going to be the key to taking them down. She will end up helping Jake and Stanley because of what Goetz did.

March 07 2008 at 12:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dorv

Ok, so I might have missed it, but did Goetz survive the shootout? I kinda remember two different guns going off when the camera was on Mimi...?

March 06 2008 at 11:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dorv's comment
Toby OB

Goetz showed up at the hospital in the previews demanding access to Mimi, so he definitely survived. I don't know if he got away with the ledger though.

March 07 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Deadly Friend

How could Bonnie have been so stupid? or rather the writers who made her die like that. Lets see: "Double barrelled shotgun against a squad of well armed mercenaries with automatic weapons" What could possibly go wrong! Why didnt Mimi say, "Ill give them the journal - its not worth dying over." Did Mimi and Bonnie steal some of Stanleys "Aw Shucks, Im just a naive country boy" pills? Jericho jumped the shark with that episode. Or maybe they watched too many Terminator movies at the Richmond farm. Didnt Stanley say "I'll be back" in a voice like Arnold in Terminator 2 last Season?

March 06 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Deadly Friend's comment
Karen

So, Bonnie knows these guys shot up an entire ward of sick people in Rogue River and knows they ran over the town of New Bern, so, when they start walking at her house, knowing they know there is proof that they are skimming (for an unknown amount of time and places) money from J&R and will haul people of to Guan...er Loomer ridge with no accounting, you think she was dumb to pull out a shotgun? Like these guys weren't going to hunt her down and plug her?

March 10 2008 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply