December 22, 2014

NBC renews Friday Night Lights with the help of DirecTV

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 6th 2008 10:19AM
Friday Night LightsFans of the perpetually unwatched but much-loved NBC show Friday Night Lights have a reason to rejoice this morning: the show has been renewed for a third season, according to Nikki Finke.

NBC executives had been looking for a way to renew their low-rated show, mostly through cost-sharing deals with other networks. They finally found a partner: DirecTV. No details of the deal were given; all we know right now is that the satellite company and the Peacock folks will share the costs of producing the show and will both air the show across multiple platforms.

Give the NBC brass some credit: They knew how good FNL was and they went to great lengths to keep the show going. It'll probably never get stellar ratings, but it's doing well enough in the 18-to-34 and 18-to-49 demos to not be a total loss for the network.

Finke speculates in the article that the execs may have picked up FNL to counteract "airing crap like that remake of Knight Rider," but I'm not so sure. Since when do network executives sacrifice money for the sake of quality?

JudyJudy

I think TV is a wasteland and avoid it religiously, with the exception of Friday Night Lights. I bought the DVD of the first season and swore I would sell my TV if the show was cancelled. I don't think I could bear not knowing what happens to every one of the characters - it's that real!

April 10 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The executive producer doesn't seem so sure of its status as of 3/19.

March 20 2008 at 11:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
susan bartlett

We're so excited to hear this news! We have been grief-stricken that a show of this quality could be taken off the air. The characters are so human--so real, so touching, amazing actors--We CARE about them! I miss them when they're gone. It's impossible to imagine that it's not being watched. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Susan Bartlett, friends and family

March 09 2008 at 10:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

I think FNL is great. Love the actors, great age range so all can enjoy. thanx for keeping it.

March 09 2008 at 11:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
anna baldwin

yes iam so glad its coming back i make sure i am home every nite its on i love that show it has also had a impact on my kids to see what can happen if you dont watch what you do and just how things can go on in high school and it makes my daughter thinknow before she gos out cant wait till it comes on

March 09 2008 at 7:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jeff P

awesome news!

hated that i can't watch it "live" anymore being on fridays, but i always make sure to catch it, usually saturday morning. really great to see that the writers will be able to write out the rest of the season and see how it goes. and how it transitions to the following season with smash and riggins graduated, and saracen? i forget if he's a senior or not.

season 2 started off pretty badly, but really has taken a turn for the better.

March 07 2008 at 2:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
IloveFNL

may i ask why you spend the time or effort to post such ugly comments? i don't understand, if you don't like or watch the show, move on. don't insult others with your rudeness.

March 06 2008 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jonny Rice

huzzah!

March 06 2008 at 8:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

I watched one episode of FNL and thought it was a very well written and acted show. One of the few that shows a realistic high school setting. Now if only they could move it to a night I'm home to watch TV I'd see more of it.

March 06 2008 at 3:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to ac's comment
YouFaceTheTick

Tivo? Watch it on NBC.com?

March 06 2008 at 6:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Great news on a rainy Thursday :-)

March 06 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply