September 1, 2014

Slurm: It's highly addictive! And ... real?

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 6th 2008 8:34PM
SlurmAccording to Trademork.com, Twentieth Century Fox has trademarked the word "Slurm". For those who are unaware, Slurm is the highly addictive beverage used in Futurama that comes out of a giant worm's butt.

The exact trademark relates to "carbonated and non-carbonated soft drinks; fruit drinks; fruit juices; mineral and aerated water; bottled drinking water; energy drinks; syrups and powders for making soft drinks and other beverages, namely soft drinks, fruit drinks and tea; coffee-flavored soft drinks; Ramune (Japanese soda pops); powders used in the preparation of isotonic sports drinks and sports beverages".

I can see the use of doing this. When The Simpsons Movie was released, there was all kinds of merchandising. 7-Eleven even renamed their Slurpees into Squishees to promote it (and carried many other Simpsons merchandise, including Homer-style donuts). I suspect if Futurama ever got similar treatment, we'd see Slurm all over the place (right alongside "Bachelor Chow").

Actually, why wait for a movie? I want some Slurm now. Give me some Slurm. I need the stuff, man. I must have Slurm!

[via PopCandy]

Cody

You guys might both be losers, but I just made out with that radiator woman from the radiator planet.

March 10 2008 at 2:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Forget Slurm. DEATH THROUGH SNUSNU!

March 07 2008 at 11:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
dan

By the way, where can I get 50lb bags of Bachelor Chow?

March 07 2008 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

I can totally understand how Fry was addicted to Slurm. I was the same way with Pepsi Blue.

March 07 2008 at 9:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doron

soylent cola

March 06 2008 at 10:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Beanie

This isn't the only Fox property that was whored out, they just sold the rights to "Brawndo" sports drink from the movie Idiocracy.

Its got electrolytes!

March 06 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Beanie's comment
superbagman

It's what plants crave!

March 07 2008 at 1:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

So Fox screws Futurama some more by stealing their ideas?

And what is the name of the soda on Futurama made from humans and "varies from person to person".

March 06 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4ham

No hope of Lightspeed Underwear?

March 06 2008 at 9:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply