August 31, 2014

Is Alicia Silverstone the mystery girl on How I Met Your Mother?

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 7th 2008 9:02AM
Alicia SilverstoneMichael Ausiello at TVGuide.com has been playing with his calculator, or maybe it was an abacus. Anyway, Mike has used some oh-so-creative math to add two and two together to get a major revelation on a CBS sitcom. Okay, here's the scoop. Mr. Ausiello has gotten an exclusive casting tidbit from How I Met Your Mother.

Alicia Silverstone, star of Clueless on the big screen, Miss Match on the small, has been signed for a series of episodes, a mini-arc.

She is going to play a doctor, a new girl who gets involved with Ted. They're involved -- romantically it seems -- for a few shows, so that could mean a relationship. Could this be the relationship? Could this be the woman under the yellow umbrella, the one in this season's premiere episode that was "revealed" to be Mother, as in How I Met Your...?

Just to add some potential substance to his speculation, Michael points out that since CBS hasn't renewed How I Met Your Mother yet, and the producers have said that before the show winds up they will present viewers with the lady in the title, this could be their end-game in case they're not renewed. On the other hand, if CBS does call them back for a fourth season, Alicia could become part of the cast.

I don't know what Coffee-Mate flavor Michael's putting in his coffee, but I love the way he thinks.

Will

I have a (most-likely) far-fetched theory about 'the Mother', we've already met her, it's Ashley Williams, who played to the girl who owned the bakery that Ted tracked down after their 'date' of sorts at that wedding. I always thought those two had way more chemistry that Ted & Robin and I was suprised when they wrote her out of the show. I used to watch "Good Morning Miami", which was a God-awful show, just to see Williams. And even I was glad when they cancelled that show!

March 08 2008 at 4:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Silverstone's casting serves two purposes: She could be the mother if the show isn't renewed, and it will bring some people to the show. It has been all over the tv press today, a little over a week before the March 17th premiere. It certainly doesn't hurt.

As far as Robin goes, Future Ted established that Aunt Robin went on to live in many different parts of the world. I'd hate for that to happen much on the series since it would mean Cobie Smulders wouldn't be around. But
they already did the Argentina thing, which was the first country Future Ted listed. I think it's no big deal to have Robin around. In fact. she probably central to the plot. I think she has to play an important role in Ted meeting the mother, otherwise why would they start the series with Ted and Robin?

March 07 2008 at 6:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Donna

I can't see how they will ever get Ted in a relationship with the "Mother" if he keeps hanging out with Robin the way he does. The way they're going, I can't even begin to imaging HOW Robin eventually simply became "Aunt Robin." I can't imagine how Robin and the Ted's future wife would ever stand to have each other sharing Ted in their lives.

I think "Aunt Robin" needs to move very far away first, before the "Mother" shows up for real.

March 07 2008 at 4:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Curt

mother= wendy the waitress.

March 07 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Doc

I highly highly doubt she is the mother. If you remember a few episodes back (though it has been a few months now), Ted was going on and on about the Laser Tattoo removal doctor and how he went on a "date" with her. Despite the fact that she tells him he can't date her right now due to regulations, he also implies that this isn't the last time he sees her and will eventually date her some. If Ms. Silverstone is playing a doctor, this is likely that person.

March 07 2008 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ashley Boyd

Yeah I agree with others. I could see the mother being someone we don't really know. Maybe he could be dating someone right up until the end, break up with her and then bump into the mother and say "And that kids, is how I met your mother"

I still say they're divorced in the future.

March 07 2008 at 1:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

The end of the series has always seemed to be that moment when Ted and the Mother get married. They have showed the scene several times now. This seems to be the big debate going on as to whether they should show Ted and the Mom's relationship leading up to their marriage, or just show her then it's over. I think it would be much more interesting if they did the former. The latter would be the equivalent of Ross meeting Rachel and then poof, show's over. I agree with some though that Bay and Thomas need to start planning an ending every single season just in case the show gets cancelled. With what just happened to Las Vegas over at NBC, and the dismal numbers Jericho is putting out, they need to have some semblance of finality to the show so the fans don't get burned by CBS.

March 07 2008 at 1:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kevjohn

Boy am I glad I haven't been watching THAT show!

March 07 2008 at 12:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

The shows name is "How I Met Your Mother" not "When Your Mother and I Were First Dating."

The best thing they can do is keep writing a funny show and on the last episode just stick a shot of Ted having a "lightning bolt" moment with any actress be she a name actress or someone that just looks the part.

With this method they can put it in the can and have it ready if the get canceled when they aren't i production.

March 07 2008 at 12:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

I think that whenever the "mother" is finally revealed that it will be in the last 30 seconds of the last show of the series.

Until then it is all just advancing the plot and giving us lots of laughs.

March 07 2008 at 11:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tool's comment
Jennifer

I agree with you completely. No way is this anything lasting for Ted at this point, even if the show is likely to get canceled.

March 07 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply