September 19, 2014

WB coming back on the web

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 10th 2008 3:24PM
Gilmore Girls - dinerThe coffee at Luke's Diner is perking again. Well, sort of. The WB television network is being resurrected it as a new web site. The WB, tentatively called wb.com, will offer free streaming episodes of Gilmore Girls, Everwood and What I Like About You, to start.

Those are all shows that were WB-produced during 1995-2006, before the WB merged with UPN to become the CW. It has yet to be determined if other series, including Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, Felicity and Dawson's Creek are slated for the wb.com stream. Like other online streaming venues that allow people to watch for free, the shows will be paid for by ads. In addition to the shows, the site is also going to create new, short (approximately five minute) vignettes targeting the old WB audience, primarily women 12-34.

Gallery: Gilmore Girls

Alexis BledelGilmore Girls castGilmore Girls + parentsLauren Graham on Gilmore GirlsRory and Paris in Gilmore GirlsGilmore GirlsScott Patterson in Gilmore GirlsRory + Jess in Gilmore GirlsGilmore Girls duo

For fans who've been missing the Everwood, What I Like About You and especially Gilmore Girls, this is great news. Even though the episodes are available on DVD, there's something comforting about being able to click onto a site where you can reconnect with the Gilmores at any time of the day or night. And if The Return of Jezebel James, creator Amy Sherman-Palladino's new Fox series, fails to connect the way her former success did, we may need a shot of Lorelai and Rory now and then.

rtms

I'm hoping Birds of Prey eventually makes it online since they still refuse to make a DVD set of the series.

March 11 2008 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

Everwood shouldn't have ever been canceled. I'm not a fan of the show but even I knew that. Maybe I should run The CW, I couldn't get any lower ratings.

March 11 2008 at 1:03 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
joanne

I'm SO excited for Everwood. I'm really glad the WB is trying this.

Side note: Hulu.com has the first season of Buffy available online.

March 10 2008 at 7:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Everwood?? Really?!?!? What fantastic news!

I wonder if, should the Everwood hit counts be high enough, that will affect the studio's decision to release the post-S1 seasons on DVD?

March 10 2008 at 7:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Yeah it's the same with DC which IS available on DVD but with different music. The high costs for the music rights is what's preventing them from releasing Everwood's Seasons 2 to 4.

DC on DVD is especially lacking because of the mission theme song and several other songs that were so popular during the time the show was produced and which you can not connect to again with the DVDs because of the diffent songs which are still contemporary but not the highlights they were able to use on TV.

I hope they use the original material AND let us folks from Europe watch those episodes too.

March 10 2008 at 4:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kara

The thing about Everwood is that it's NOT available on DVD, except Season 1. Seasons 2-4 were never released on DVD, and there are currently no plans to ever release them. That's what makes this news so exciting.

March 10 2008 at 3:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Flack

I'm pretty sure this will probably be limited to shows actually produced by Warners, therefore preventing Buffy (Fox), Dawson (Sony), and Felicity (Disney).

March 10 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply