April 18, 2014

What the Tuck? Carlson's show yanked

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 10th 2008 7:23PM
Tucker CarlsonArch, conservative, preppie guy Tucker Carlson has been ousted from his MSNBC show. Carlson's one-hour talk show, called Tucker, has been canceled. NBC News correspondent David Gregory will take over the hour slot, 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, which will be called Race for the White House. This week will be Carlson's last. Gregory starts on Monday, March 17.

MSNBC is reportedly making a series of changes, amping up the political chatter. Considering how much politicking is going on now, including Tucker, it's hard to fathom how switching Carlson for Gregory is going to increase the discourse.

Carlson has known for a while that his show was on thin ice. The ratings have been poor and last November, fans of the program launched a campaign to save Tucker. They failed. But sing no sad songs for Tucker. He will remain with the network as MSNBC Senior Campaign Correspondent and will appear regularly throughout MSNBC's program lineup.

Carlson has been at MSNBC for nearly three years. Prior to the Tucker show, Carlson was at CNN, where he was the youngest anchor in that network's history. In 2004, Carlson -- a right-wing hardline conservative -- had an infamous run in with Jon Stewart on Crossfire.

In addition to the Tucker shake up, MSNBC announced that correspondent Andrea Mitchell will anchor an hour each afternoon and Keith Olbermann's Countdown will rerun every night at 10. That's not all. Commencing March 17, Live with Dan Abrams re-launches as Verdict with Dan Abrams, an hour-long look at the day's news from a legal perspective, and expands to five nights a week.

tvnut

if anyone needs to fired from this second rate network it is that pompous ass olbermann,special comment,like any gives a rat's ass what he thinks.the only thing special is when he is pre-empted!

June 07 2008 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peter Polkadot

We'll miss Tucker. He gave a little bit of balance to the heavy left leaning of the network. David Gregory is about as Left as you can get and doesn't hide it. I'll be looking elsewhere for political comment.

March 23 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Richie

Franklin obviously has much, much too much time on his hands. Do you ever stop and think how sad your life is when you're spending your time coming up with long essays on how liberals are ruining the world, without stopping and thinking that maybe people who exist solely to divide others on simple political differences are the one ruining it.

That's all.

March 17 2008 at 5:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

I am sickened by this. I loathe David Gregory. You may as well hire Howard Dean to read the "news." You just lost lots of viewers. God, you people are so stupid.

March 14 2008 at 6:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cheryl

It was about time MSNBC is well above the type of reporting and sleazy comments that were made by Tucker on a nightly basis. Especially regarding President Clinton! It is one thing to disagree with those whom had been leaders of this Country, but it is quite another to desicrate their name each and every night. President Clinton was a great President with some very poor "personal" judgement. And I underscore the word "personal." This Country was in 100 times BETTER shape during his eight years in office. Those who are so pompous and judgmental to "hate"someone for something they did to basically themselves for one thing are not Christians and secondly would NEVER be leadership material themselves. None of us are perfect people and although I certainly do not condone what he did I feel no need nor place to JUDGE him! And I have not met anyone on this earth that has that right!. Back to Tucker, it is ashamed that someone as young and I would hope educated did not do more with a career than spread hatred and fuel an already troubled society. People like Tucker are the VERY reason WE are not respected by other Countries. They look at us as just a bunch of winers at the least and hate mongers at best. I personally think MSNBC would be so much better of to get him off of any show that they endorse. I will watch much more now that he is gone.

March 13 2008 at 8:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

I see, Franklin...as evidenced by your reply, you got all worked up because you thought someone was attacking a fellow nutj...I mean, conservative.

So, people were not going to get away with posting that they disliked Carlson and were happy that he was leaving without incurring the wrath of Franklin. OK.

On the one hand, your tiresome and endless retort in quite a few of your posts that those who don't agree with you must be the product of some "No Child Left Behind" educational system, it must be gratifying to those who are subjected to you in either a familial or business way that you have some little tirade that keeps you busy and out of their hair for awhile.

March 12 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Dawn50's comment
bsgfan2003

Do you think poorly of all conservatives?

March 12 2008 at 4:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

She doesn't think poorly of all conservatives, she just thinks poorly!

Don't worry, Dawn. I'll be around for a long time just to call you liberal, socialist, hypocrites on everything. I'm glad you think I got all worked up because this is just idle fun as far as I'm concerned. There's no reason to get worked up over anti-American morons like you, but teasing...well, that's just, plain fun!

March 12 2008 at 8:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

Franklin, um...it's obvious you have been referring to liberals as socialists. All one has to do is read your feverishly ranting posts to realize the only thing you lack is a soapbox on a corner.

I have to wonder why you chose a forum where people were posting in a fairly innocuous way regarding someone who, in the great scheme of things, barely registered in the minds of most.

The answer, I believe, is that you specialize in elevating trivia into some sort of principle, as your strange, long-winded posts suggest.

Who really gives a crap, Franklin? Tucker's gone, a lot of people are happy, some aren't, and some see this is an insidious move by "socialist liberals."

Don't forget to look under the bed for the enemy before going to bed, Franklin.

March 12 2008 at 8:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dawn50's comment
Franklin

Good post, Dawn. You got someone to explain it to you *after* you wrote that I'm "...calling those who don't like Tucker Carlson socialists...". Apparently plain English wasn't obvious to you, but I forget you're a product of "no idiot left behind". My condolences.

And of course you'd think bashing a conservative is "fairly innocuous". You tree-huggers are always preaching tolerance as long as it's tolerance of your way, but never miss a chance to berate the opposition.

Let me add "hypocrite" to the list of things the socialists encompass.

March 12 2008 at 10:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dawn50

Franklin, you seem to be working very hard to convince...who? As for calling those who don't like Tucker Carlson socialists...What's next? Commie Pinko?

Its nice to see Archie Bunker is alive and well and still threatened by those whose viewpoints go against his own very slanted take on the world.

Go back to watching FOX News and sucking your thumb while the tears dry on your face.

March 11 2008 at 5:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Dawn50's comment
Gordy

Tucker seems like a level headed commentator, but, I've never watched his show. My brain works fine, so I have no need for MSNBC. Brit Hume FTW!

March 11 2008 at 12:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I'm not upset at all, but I understand how you would think that. I'm quite happy indeed. In fact, watching the continued flogging of the equine carcass by the we're-too-scared-to-be-self-reliant bunch is mindless entertainment at its best.

Regarding the body slamming; have you ever tried to speak with a socialist in a calm, logical manner? They don't understand, they just pull out the picket signs and start chanting slogans. Body slams are more to their liking, so I speak their language.

March 11 2008 at 9:10 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply