September 20, 2014

David Simon says thanks to fans of The Wire

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Mar 11th 2008 2:00PM

David Simon with some cast members of The Wire.Here's another reason to love The Wire. David Simon, the show's executive producer and creator, actually took the time to pen a heartfelt thank you note to all the fans of the recently departed HBO series. The Wire's final episode aired this past Sunday night.

In the lengthy letter, Simon expresses his gratitude to fans for giving such a complicated and layered show a shot, especially considering the way it changed from season to season. He goes on to issue a challenge to all those fans. If there was one thing to be learned from The Wire, it's that there are far too many important issues flying under the radar. Simon writes, "The Wire is about the America we pay for and tolerate. Perhaps it is possible to pay for, and demand, something more." I couldn't agree more.

Despite the cult following the show developed, it never really captured the masses in terms of ratings. If a letter like that doesn't convince you to go back and take a look at The Wire, I'm not sure what will.

Fran Rowe

Thanks, David,
I have been considering cancelling my HBO subscription since none of their new shows can touch what was previously done....(sex in the city, six feet under, the sopranos, and at the top, the wire), will try and hang on for your new series. I am in doubt, however, that anything can come close to "The Wire."

March 12 2008 at 4:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Evorgleb

Me and the other writers over at Highbrid Nation loved The Wire. Actually, one of our guys just did a post today talking about how important The Wire was to viewers as well as the cast.

I think The Wire is one of those shows that most people won't truly get until years from now. 20 years from now people will look back on the Wire as one of the greatest shows ever created.

March 12 2008 at 11:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anna

As SJ said, thank YOU, David Simon and colleagues for making something so rich and thought-provoking. I've already started watching it all again, back from the beginning and was struck by a statement of McNulty's in S01Ep03: 'I just can't take this shit no more.' This seems to be the core of it all. Nothing will change as long as we are prepared, individually, to put up with corrupt shit in our working lives and little will change with only a few brave souls prepared to stand firm against it. I've walked away from my career as a teacher because of all the counter-productive, stats-based bullshit I was obliged to do, but what comes next?

March 12 2008 at 8:24 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
lee

A great ending to a PHENOMENAL TV show!

If you havent seen this show, you are truly missing something special...i cant wait to pass my huge 5 season box set around once its released.

I cant wait to see what simon and the crew have lined up next.

March 12 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bdgbill

Euh...I have sworn off cop shows. No matter how gritty and realistic they begin they always seem to turn into soap operas.

The slow painful death spiral of ER made me sear off medical shows too but then "House" came along.

March 11 2008 at 5:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Borat

No, thank YOU David Simon.

Ever since it ended I have been really sad. There has been talk of a movie (the actors already secured the financing) but I don't really want to see that since you can't have a movie.

HBO is going to debut "Generation Kill" in the summer though, which Simon and Burns helmed. That would be interesting. He is also working on a pilot for a show based in New Orleans.

March 11 2008 at 2:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Borat's comment
MIke

You are absolutely right. I will not write a long, exhausting, elaborate letter to describe the pure greatness of the wire. I will sum it up with two statements: 1) The Wire is the most significant show ever created; 2) The Wire has reached the pinnacle of the television medium never to be challenged.

March 11 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply