America ranks the Top 12 (after they performed)

by Jason Hughes, posted Mar 12th 2008 2:40PM
American Idol Top 12What a difference a day makes. After the surprising performances on last night's Top 12 performance show, AOL's American Idol poll has shown some significant shifts. While David Archuleta has been a strong favorite across most polls, I don't think anyone can argue that last night he had a pretty dramatic misstep, forgetting lyrics and generally turning in a pretty bad performance.

The question is, will the David A. faithful continue to flock behind their golden boy, or is one bad performance enough to knock him off the top perch. And what about Chikezie, who turned in his strongest performance of the competition so far. Was it enough to bring him up in America's hearts? I've got two sets of poll results for you. The first from the week prior to last night's show, and the second after last night's performance.

First, we'll take a look at the results of AOL's poll going into last night's performances, followed by the results since that episode ended. While there are some expected changes based on some impressive performances last night, there are a few changes (and non-changes that are just as startling).

PRE-PERFORMANCE POLL
1 - David A. (23%)
2 - Jason (12%)
3 - David H. (12%)
4 - David C. (11%)
5 - Brooke (8%)
6 - Ramiele (8%)
7 - Michael (8%)
8 - Carly (6%)
9 - Amanda (5%)
10 - Kristy (3%)
11 - Syesha (3%)
12 - Chikezie (2%)
* - for percentages that are statistically identical, they are ranked in the right order according to raw votes

POST-PERFORMANCE POLL
1 - David A. (19%)
2 - Carly (14%)
3 - David C. (14%)
4 - Brooke (14%)
5 - Jason (7%)
6 - Michael (7%)
7 - Amanda (6%)
8 - Chikezie (5%)
9 - David H. (4%)
10 - Ramiele (4%)
11 - Kristy (4%)
12 - Syesha (3%)

Need more American Idol? Get an inside look at Season 7's contestants and think back to these scathing (and hilarious) Simon Cowell quotes.
Also: Don't forget to choose your favorite Idol!
Carly certainly improved her standings, as did Chikezie, pulling himself out of the elimination spot. Surprisingly, no matter what she does, Syesha can't get more votes than Kristy Lee Cook. This despite a disastrous performance last night by Kristy. But perhaps even more shocking is that number one ranking hanging in there for David Archuleta.

I agree that he may not be the worst singer (*cough* Kristy *cough*) left in the competition, but there is no way he should still be number one. My only consolation is that the gap between him and the other contestants is narrowing considerably. I'm not going to say David A. should or shouldn't be the next American Idol; it's just too early to call. But I will say that I want a competition, so I'm glad to see him falter in the rankings.

Other significant movers are the dramatic rise of Carly Smithson and steep declines for Ramiele and David H. Those two need to right their respective trains immediately if they want to stay in it. I don't think David H. has a realistic shot at the title, but Ramiele is an early favorite that everyone seems to agree still has a great voice. She just hasn't had a great performance yet (for most people).

The real question is, does this poll reflect how you voted? If so, Kristy will live to butcher another song next week and Syesha will say be the one to say goodbye.

gus

Kristy Lee Cook will win...

March 20 2008 at 7:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ms Lucie

And I'm glad I have a DVR. The more I review the show, the more I like Chikezie's performance. David A is a front runner because he is young and talented. He had a bad week but they all do. He'll shine again.

March 17 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Holly

People vote for or against personalities as well as talent and appearance. Being hot looking is not the key. How else do you explain Taylor over Kat and other winners.
I think Syesha's low standing is due to her annoying self-promotion (I'm an actress) and her cardboard pageant personality. Her voice is good and I think she has always been one of the best-looking contestants. Her singing too is cliche and overly styled.

While I agree that her talent is weak, the main reason Kristi is still in is likeability (Kelly Pickler come to mind?) Better looking contestants have gone home, but K is the girl next door not scary pretty. I think her vote base is probably made up of a lot of young tween girls - she is exactly their type role model (think Miley Cyrus and young Britney).

David A is going to wear thin as the competition heats up and he becomes more internally aware that he is not the only game in town. The other guys are getting stronger and have the maturity to build their performance style. D.A. may be too controlled by mama and papa. Think fade from the pack.

I think it is useful to look at who gets voted off and consider where their fan base is likely to go. David H.'s will probably be distributed evenly, esp. for guys because he really wasn't a niche performer as say Amanda is - who will go soon because she is becoming tiresome and is too narrow to attract new voters. I voted for her early on just to keep things interesting, but don't bother to now.

March 13 2008 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jk

Carly is a Hate/Love relationship with the audience. Either you really hate her and would love to see her tossed. Or you like her a lot and want her to win. No other contestant has this relationship with the crowd.

Personally, I don't see her getting very far. There are so many people that just don't connect with her and want her gone.

March 13 2008 at 3:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Susan

I'm writing this after the results were in, and I'm heartbroken that my David H. is gone. This is definitely a season where the strength is with the guys, and a girl should have been the first to go. However, l like Kristy, Syesha and Ramiele, too; this is one tough season! But the performance of the night, hands down, was Chikezie!! I was having a fit every week he made the cut, because he seemed very weak, but WOW!! His problem now is, what can he do for an encore? He can't beat last night's performance, but I'm glad he was still around to surprise everyone (except Paula, apparently.)

March 12 2008 at 11:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
maureen bloom

I really would like to see Kristy Lee go home. She does not belong in the top 12. I am a big beatles fan and she totally destroyed Eight Days a Week. It was one of the worst performances I have ever seen on this show in 7 years.

March 12 2008 at 7:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
a.

David A. isn't the front runner because AI is a popularity contest. His first 2 performances were stunningly good - far & away better than the others. Whereas some have never had it, he has it, but is getting nervous - no surprise with the pressure on him.

And is the music industry really all about talent anymore? No way. Corporate music execs aren't looking for the next Mama Cass or Janis Joplin - these days you have to have ab muscles and plastic surgery to be considered, or young enough not to need them (yet). The music industry is more shallow than AI!! Sad, but true. AI has promoted people that the music industry wouldn't take a 2nd look at.

March 12 2008 at 6:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartalek

on second thought simon might have been prophetic about kristy, she'll prob. end up as 10th b/c by then ppl will stop feeling sorry for her and acknowledge that compared to the others she does deserve the boot (well i guess that's really lucky for her)

March 12 2008 at 6:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
smartalek

brooke was the best last night and syesha wasn't all that bad either, not at all surprised that chikezie made a comeback, not bad at all for him! david A. cannot afford another misstep like that and Kristy lee cook should go home this week

March 12 2008 at 6:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jon

I like David C. a lot but he sang the verse in the wrong key and it was awful. The chorus was much better but finishing a song well does not a good performance make.

I was surprised when Carly said she was going to add a twist and then sang the full on kareoke version of Come Together. Maybe she added a bit of a rock anthem twist but I'm not sure that's an improvement. Yeah, she sang it well but it wasn't earth shattering.

Brook is growing on me. Even when she misses the note it still sounds right and I like that about her.

March 12 2008 at 4:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply