November 26, 2014

Jericho: Termination for Cause

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 12th 2008 8:44AM

Lennie James(S02E05) "I think we have a problem." - Goetz, master of understatement

Well, I guess if anyone had doubts about the evilness of Goetz, those doubts should be erased as of this episode. I actually got chills thinking about Mimi recovering and telling the truth about what happened at the farm.

Goetz already lost four men and taking a hospital full of deputies is considerably more difficult than taking out one little girl with a shotgun. Goetz either really wants Mimi dead, has some Hawkins-sized stones or both.

I was really afraid that something like this would happen. By going after the residents of Jericho, Goetz clearly crossed a line. The only way the rangers can respond now is by pushing back. Even if they can hold off Goetz until Beck returns, it won't change anything. When a show reaches this point in the story, I often feel frustrated because violence has become the only answer. It's not that I have a problem with violence, I just can't wait to see some, especially when it's so well-deserved.

The mystery voice has gotten a little tedious, in my opinion. Up until this episode, he hasn't given any information that we all hadn't already guessed and he isn't offering any real solutions either. Only a take charge guy like Hawkins could make him contribute like he did tonight.

It seems that many of you were right about Trish (AKA J&R Blondie). Now the question is will she actually join the town when they go up against Jennings & Rall and the Cheyenne government?

Ever since this show began, people have made the mistake of underestimating Hawkins. I don't know which I loved more; seeing the Ravenwood guys pay for being so cocky and stupid or watching Hawkins snap another neck. While watching that scene, I realized that Jericho works on a very visceral level and has from the beginning. The images of war, violence, death and the occasional glimmer of hope touch the viewer in a place that very few shows do nowadays. With that in mind, I didn't know if I should be angry at Fred the mole or feel bad for what was clearly going to happen to him when Hawkins found out what he was doing.

I really feel bad for poor Heather. All she wanted was to build a bridge of fellowship between Jericho and New Bern and now there's a bounty on her head. It was nice to see her friends stopping by to give her a heads up, though. I guess there's still some humanity left in New Bern after all.

Quite frankly, what happened in New Bern is exactly what's going to happen in Jericho. Military might can only prevail for so long. Major Beck can stand and shake his head all he wants but the image of Goetz's dead body is exactly what New Bern needs to break free from his grip.

The scene with Stanley and Bonnie really tore me up. I don't know what else to say except that I will really miss her.

Who will be the next visitor to Jericho?
Valente110 (22.2%)
Constantino215 (43.3%)
The man on the phone171 (34.5%)

Janice

The "voice on the phone" was not giving Hawkins his own e-mail address , but the address for Goetz's boss. I kept wondering why why they would give away the "voice on the phone"'s identity so easily, so I backed up my DVR and heard him say that the e-mail was for the director of operations ar Ravenwood. In other words, the "voice on the phone" - who is with Jennings and Rail (or used to be) told Goetz's supervisor to fire him.

March 18 2008 at 10:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mary Lou

I absolutely loved this episode. This has been one of the best ones yet.

I love this show and i can't believe it's going to be cancelled. After all the people fought to bring it back now they're going to go and cancel it.

Doesn't CBS know a good thing when they have it???

March 16 2008 at 12:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Pat Shelley

This show has always gotten to me. I love the characters. I think if this happened really I would love to have Hawkins and Jake on my side! It shows the strong characters and the weak ones, and why they are the way they are. How would we react if this happened to us!
I loved how Stanley signed to his sister and thanked her for what she did to save Mimi. This 2nd season has been so amazing! The first season was great too and got me thinking if this really happened, especially with all the stuff going on since 9/11.
With Goetz getting what he deserved, it was sad Stanley had to do that, but I think he will be okay. He has lots of people around him that care. I don't want to see this show end yet! There is too much to do, and too many things to solve to finish in 2 episodes. PLEASE bring it back for one more season!

March 15 2008 at 2:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chica

Since the FANS love Jericho enough to get it renewed for a 2nd season, why is the show now on the bubble for another season? Clearly this show has a fan base that stands up for themselves.
One of my favorite shows on TV!

March 13 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A Different Scott

Leave it on, it is the best show of its type, if there is anything else on like it in anyway. My wife and I can't wait for the next season to start. It was taken off once and the fans wouldn't hear of it, and I for one still won't. Fox should leave it alone and let it stay for it many loyal fans.

March 13 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

If Goetz was still working for Ravenswood I can understand the problem both towns would have in killing someone of authority put in place by the reigning government, but he was fired for embezzling. Wouldn't Beck just treat this as a murder of a criminal? While illegal, I can't imagine the Allied States gov't spending too many resources pursuing this, outside a standard murder investigation.

BTW, no way is it the President feeding the info to Hawkins. It is probably what it is, a J&R high level employee who has guilt of conscience trying to end this. Of course it is possible he is playing Hawkins to get the location of the bomb, but in either event, no way would the president expose himself to this when a lackey could do it for him.

March 13 2008 at 3:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

First when did Stanley kill Anyone? I thought It ended with the JR folks getting fired then Jake giving the word to rush them, after the trucks had departed. second can no one see that this is a war? America was bombed, they have a coccupation army there and small resistant groups. The news has been blacked out. THIS should be the very begining. Heather has been asked to take a page out of a report that would have shown where the evidence is. The girl from J&R has twice worked against J&R or atleast Goetz. They need to share some info. with the other towns like themselves. They can do that word of mouth, since the reporter died before he could be of help. Love this show, it lights up the imagination.I sit and say, they should be doing this now. or that next. or whatever. and how would we handle it?

March 13 2008 at 3:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Judy's comment
LC

"First when did Stanley kill Anyone? I thought It ended with the JR folks getting fired then Jake giving the word to rush them, after the trucks had departed."

Either your PVR cut it off or you stopped watching too soon. After they rushed, New Bern folks were coming at them from the other side. There was a standoff between the two over custody when Stanly drove up, pulled out a gun and after a few seconds of hesitation, shot Goetz in the head.

New Bern took the body and strung it up at the entrance of the town, Where Major Beck saw it hanging. That is where it ended.

March 13 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

Such a great show...I'm going to be so frustrated if they don't renew it. The depth and feeling of this show go so far beyond most shows it's incredible. Everyone has mentioned the "bigger hole", which made me laugh, Mimi's crying, which was very tough to watch, Stanley signing goodbye to Bonnie, which did make me choke up a bit, but the thing that caught me the most was right after Stanley blew Goetz away. I loved that he did it...a lot of shows would've had him showing restraint, sucking it up, and all that. Stanley hesitated at first, and then pulled the trigger. And then he vomited over the stress and realization of what he did. I can't recall another instance where a character experienced that very real reaction to a death. I tried to save the life of someone who drowned in my condo pool, and when the paramedics stopped doing CPR I almost hurled. I can't imagine what you'd feel upon actually TAKING someone's life. It just shows the skill and depth of the writing on this show, and if ever a show was worth renewing, it's this one.

March 13 2008 at 2:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

My guess on the voice is it is either Mr. Jennings or Mr. Rall.

March 13 2008 at 1:43 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dragulf

The Voice on the phone sounds like Grey Anderson, the mayor, to me. Good episode. If they had had more like this and not the drawn out boring ones the first season Jericho would have 15 million viewers now.

March 12 2008 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Dragulf's comment
Rodney

It doesn't sound anything like Gray to me.

And I believe that the voice provided the e-mail, but that doesn't mean that the e-mail was his.

And by the way, Cathy, unless you're 1) psychic or 2) a writer on the show, how can you say "wrong" to somebody else's opinion?

March 13 2008 at 12:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply