August 21, 2014

What shows are on the bubble for next season?

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 13th 2008 2:22PM
reaperThe Hollywood Reporter has an article today that both breaks my heart and makes me ecstatic for the next television season. The article, citing lots of anonymous sources, lists shows that are "on the bubble" for next season -- meaning renewal is not certain--and predicts their likelihood of renewal.

Interestingly (and tragically), The CW's Reaper appears to be on the chopping block. Tonight's ratings for Reaper could tip the balance, as a new episode goes up against a new episode of Lost. While many critics think Reaper has lost its way since the pilot, I think it's been pretty much on track. We even got a new story line during the last episode where Sam meets a new love interest, aka the devil's daughter. The dialogue is clever, the lead actor is lovable, and his sidekicks are, well, a kick. Although, if I didn't have a way to record both shows, I would probably choose Lost over Reaper tonight.

A list of "on the bubble" shows and their possible future is after the jump:

Likely to be canceled: Reaper, Jericho, Cashmere Mafia

Likely to be renewed: How I Met Your Mother, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Scrubs (probably on ABC), Knight Rider (a series spawned from that crap movie), Friday Night Lights, Moonlight, Law & Order, Prison Break, According to Jim, 'Til Death, Back to You.

Kandyegirl

Moonlight "likely to be renewed!" I like the sound of that. Of course, one thing would sound even better..... :)

XO ~
Kandye

My Moonlight Fan Blog

March 27 2008 at 5:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Alicia

"Scrubs (probably on ABC)"

Once again... NBC doesn't know what it has. This show is one of the BEST on television.... it has no support from the network.

I bet though they ordered up new episodes of My Dad is Better than Your Dad.

HIMYM.... *banging head into wall* I am afraid that this (again, a GREAT show) has little support from the network. It's a funny funny show... Granted I think that they need to move the story along a bit, but I'll reserve my opinions for the HIMYM blog entries.

March 14 2008 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

once again, TV Squad refuses to acknowledge the very existence of Aliens in America. the specific article that you link to indicates that it's unlikely to be renewed while talking about CW shows.

Aliens in America is a fun show that matches well with Everybody Hates Chris -- it's not like CW (or UPN or WB) has ever had much luck with sitcoms. I can't imagine they have anything much in the queue that can surpass the consistent level of this show.

March 13 2008 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

I don't get the foolishness of putting a show like Reaper up against Lost and expecting an audience. Sure, I'm going to tape it, but I would have much rather have watched it last night (Wednesday) when there wasn't any fast-paced style show on. Granted, it's not as dumb as Fox's move putting the 2nd episode of New Amsterdam in that slot last week, since (IMO) the Lost audience is the one you be wanting to attract to that kind of a show, not one to keep from watching your NEW show.
As for Jericho, I would like to that that the majority of their viewers also watch Lost, since they both use a mystery/conspiracy theme. If Lost is not going to be back on the air until January (unless that changes), it would be foolish to not have it back on the air in September. By the time Fall rolls around, I know I'll be begging for at least one of the shows to be back (I hope)

March 13 2008 at 7:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

Here is the latest SCRUBS info if anyone is interested:

"Scrubs Heads Back into Production"

March 13 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Okay, I was a Jericho viewer and still am. But I am definitely not surprised it will be canceled. Frankly, I agree with critics that the pacing of the early part of the show was off. Also, I was never really convinced it was a series that would sustain stellar ratings. It was probably more suitable as a mini series. I like the show, and I am happy it will get a conclusion. But it just doesn't fit on CBS. If someone like Sci-fi were to pick it up and give it a more manageable and concise episode order of 12-13 episodes it would work much better. I hate that the Networks cancel series before they are given a proper ending. Even shows like Las Vegas, on for 5 years, get the axe without an ending. But sometimes shows just really shouldn't be that long.

March 13 2008 at 5:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jake's comment
Alicia

Sci-Fi would be the PERFECT place for Jericho. They are already running the other episodes.

They took Stargate SG-1 from Showtime when they cancelled it and looked what happened...

March 14 2008 at 9:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ganesh

Has Journeyman been canceled?

March 13 2008 at 4:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
5 replies to Ganesh's comment
khamel

not to support renewing according to jim, but the reason they did it has nothing to do with quality but ALL to do with repeats and syndication. there is some rule that the affiliates have to syndicate according to jim for some amount of time if it lasts this long. the show could literally be a belushi smelling himself for 30 minutes and they would air it. its all about the $$$

and i also am wondering about MIT. i really hope it gets another shot, possibly at a consistent timeslot with a consistent string of episodes.

March 13 2008 at 4:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to khamel's comment
Jennifer

Given how they've treated MIT, I am surprised they haven't canceled it already. They already didn't bother to air the second half of the first season for most of a year, then in a STRIKE SEASON decided to TAKE IT OFF THE AIR, then they air it at 10 p.m. when there is nothing else to watch in prime time. Yeah, that's getting canceled and we're just lucky to get any episodes they are burning off.

I hear October Road is pretty well doomed.

March 13 2008 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve

What about October Road?

Its a great show, but I dont think it has the viewership.

March 13 2008 at 4:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Reaper's ratings are not being helped by the fact that a lot of Supernatural fans are actively boycotting the show because of the time slot The CW put it in. If the PTB from the network was hoping to grab some of that audience, no such luck.

March 13 2008 at 3:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Christine's comment
Frank

Ok, well then Supernatural fans aren't too bright (for the record, I watch Supernatural AND Reaper). Supernatural has already been renewed, why would you boycott?

March 13 2008 at 5:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christine

Supernatural fans are just showing their displeasure at having their show, in repeats or not, be yanked entirely out of the schedule. That particular scheduling decision came before the renewal and originally Supernatural was going to be removed from CW's schedule until new episodes came back at the end of April. Plenty of time for the casual viewer to forget the show exists and potentially hurt the ratings when the show returns. Reaper fans should be pissed their show got put up against Lost.

March 13 2008 at 6:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply