October 30, 2014

How I Met Your Mother: No Tomorrow

by Joel Keller, posted Mar 17th 2008 10:12PM
How I Met Your Mother: No Tomorrow
(S03E12)
How I Met Your Mother has been making a lot of news lately, with its timeslot change, its constant bubble status, the hiring of Alicia Silverstone, the subsequent hiring of a certain young woman named Britney, and the resulting departure of Silverstone and arrival of Sarah Chalke.

But what we haven't seen were actual episodes, thanks to the writers' strike. Thankfully, the strike is over and Bays and Thomas managed to be one of the first to get new episodes on the air, just in time for St. Patrick's Day. And, while HIMYM's returned with only a slightly-above-average episode, we inched ever so closer to finding out the solution to the show's main mystery. That's the least the guys could do after three months off.

You knew that St. Paddy's Day would bring out the best in ol' Barney. Green pimp suit ("Hello, NBA player rehabbing an injury," is how Ted greets him), entreaties to Ted to leave the old folks -- Marshall and Lily -- at home, and deep belly buttons meant that he was in his element. His whole "no tomorrow" thread didn't quite ring right to me, mainly because everyone knew that he wasn't serious about the end of the world. Yet, at least in the way Ted remembered the night, he managed to convince Ted to act as if there was no tomorrow. Maybe Carter and Craig realized that Wild Ted wasn't quite as wild as we thought he'd be, and were giving him this reverse karma night in order to get the wildness out of the way.

Thank God for pocket dialing. I thought that went away with the advent of clamshell-shaped phones. But I guess you can pocket dial BlackBerries and iPhones; Ted apparently never locks his keypad. Just as well; it was a convenient way for Marshall to show Ted just how silly he sounded all night. He still managed to order Dom and put it on Gredo's tab, and he still managed to convince a married Vanessa Minnillo to sleep with him, he just didn't do it as suavely as he thought.

What he did do was lose his cell phone. And then he grabbed the yellow umbrella. Yes, that yellow umbrella; the one belonging to (dum da dummmm!) the mother. More on that later.

Now we know why a) M&L spend all that money on their stinky Dowisetrepla condo and b) how they get to stay living with Ted for a while longer. It's that old sitcom saw: the crooked apartment! "It's like the last 20 minutes of Titanic in here," cracks Robin. Actually, the angle used to shoot the apartment scenes reminded me of how every villain's lair was shot during the old 1960s Batman series. Anyway, the ghost story Marshall made up about the Confederate general was funny, but the entire crooked apartment plot was a bit on the thin side (except for Robin... her flat line reading about the ghost going through her... asking "How is a racist ghost better than 'crooked'?"... Scherbatsky was a font of comedy tonight).

Other stuff:

• The Best Barneyism: a tie between "Bropocalypse Now" and his recitation on personality types sorted by area code. "She may think she's a 212 or a 718, but she's definitely a 516." Though I think he vaguely insulted the 973 area code. Sigh. Par for the course on this show, I guess.
  • In one of the party scenes, Ted and a young woman briefly encounter each other and say "excuse me." Wonder if that's the infamous mother...?
  • It was very clever how the yellow umbrella was on line for the party, but by the time we got back from the break, the rain had stopped and we had no idea who was who. That's why some extraneous encounter at the party would make me think that's the mother. Why put it in if it didn't mean anything?
  • Having Lily keep winning at Hungry Hungry Hippos was a funny way to demonstrate the slant in the apartment.
  • So wonderful of Robin to create Apartment Roller Luge just to help Lily feel better. Such a friend. Wonder what they did after the floor was fixed.
  • Oh, and I can't wait to hear what kind of a money pit M&L have gotten themselves into.

So the guys were a little rusty, and next week we get what I'm sure will be an extremely overhyped guest spot from Brit Brit. Jeez. Hopefully, we'll get classic HIMYM back by episode 14. Maybe by then the show will actually be renewed for season four. Yeah, right.

Do you think the woman Ted ran into at the party is the mother?
Sure, why not?461 (44.5%)
Nah. It's just a red herring thrown in by Bays and Thomas.576 (55.5%)

Kelly

A lot of people have been saying that Ted just bumps into the girl at the bar. He ends up making out with her on the couch and she is married. It wasn't just a bump, she had about 3 minutes of screen time.

May 26 2008 at 4:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tom

the woman he bumped into isnt the mother its just to highlight the fact that when he does bad things, good things happen. it is bad for him to have walked into her and usually she would have stopped and made a scene of it but she didnt, which is good.

March 27 2008 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sammusbi

the mother and excuse me girl were wearing the same color jeans . . . more evidence?

March 25 2008 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PJ

I think it is her. At the end of each episode the voiceover usually says, "and that kids is how I met your mother." THIS time he said," and that kids,is how you turn a no into a yes."

March 25 2008 at 10:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dean

The yellow umbrella was used in another episode in the fall, but I can't remember which one. Since they used it twice, it probably has some meaning.

March 23 2008 at 12:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Its great to have the show back!

I'm just wondering why everyone is moaning about the show being on the bubble and nobody is doing anyting about it. I remember a recent peanut campaign that had a HUGE impact...

March 20 2008 at 12:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
spg28

Even though I don't think this show has been nearly as funny this season as it was last season, I find that I still root for it every week. Even when I know the episode wasn't that funny, I still defend it to anyone else- I think that's the definition of true tv love!

I will say that despite the fact that NJ gets made fun of a lot, the reference to West Orange (my hometown) in the episode with the two Jersey girls and the 973 area code tonight makes me love this show even more. It's like Carter and Craig are talking to me directly!!! SAVE HIMYM!!! It's Brotastic!

March 19 2008 at 11:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brendan

I was thinking the exact same thing about the 'excuse me' women. she was put there for a reason, and he didnt meet her, he just accidently bumped into her. We will find out soon, however, do you think that this St. Patricks was meant to be on later, and was just put on as the first episode back as it fell on st patricks day?

March 18 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
iamhoff

So freaking happy that HIMYM is back! I loved the episode, but the episode seemed to move really quickly and really touch on a lot of different story arcs. The return of Dowisetrepla, the yellow umbrella, how come M&L will keep living with Ted, etc. To me, it seemed as though Carter & Bays are concerned with all the bubble talk and are attempting to tie up the loose ends so that they can bring the series to a close if they're not renewed. Which would be a freaking crime to not renew it, but that's the impression I got last night.

March 18 2008 at 6:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Good news is that HIMYM went up 1 million viewers to season 1 levels with the time slot switch! Platinum Rule averaged 8.3 million and last night's episode averaged 9.73 million! Britney will surely bring some more viewers in next week! Hope they stay around.

March 18 2008 at 4:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply