July 29, 2014

Stump the King - Space: A&B

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 17th 2008 9:42AM

James Wong & Glen MorganThis week, I got a very nice letter from a fan named Adam...

"In the mid '90s a show aired that lasted about half a season. It was a space show where the main characters were cadets who flew fighters. One of the main characters was a test tube baby with a navel on the back of his neck. I was wondering what that show was called (if I recall... it got pulled because it cost too much to make, not because it had poor ratings)."

I'm sure most of you recognize the show as Space: Above & Beyond.

The show was created by Glen Morgan and James Wong who were still reaping the benefits of their success as writers on The X-Files. As Adam mentioned the show was quickly cancelled and they eventually went to work on Millennium.

Now if all this geek TV talk wasn't too much for you, here is this week's question...

Which Space: A&B cast member has played a Deity, multiple aliens and a lawman named for another lawman?

WTG, hessian. Tucker Smallwood is the correct answer. He also played a sheriff named Andy Taylor on The X Files.

gonnabechef

Got three words for you: Chiggy Von Richtofen.

Great show. Too bad it ended on that cliffhanger. And yeah -- the idea that the military would spend all that time and money training these guys to fly only to have them spend 3/4 of their time as infantry... that never made much sense.

March 17 2008 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Arc|Angel

My favorite show of all time.. that, Nowhere Man, Enterprise, and Harsh Realm are my saddest losses of all time

March 17 2008 at 9:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

The one thing that always bugged me about that show was that you had these hotshot Marine Aviators (never call them pilots) and most of the time they were serving as ground-pounding infantry grunts.

March 17 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quack

Chesty ... what the reply.

March 17 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kel

This would have made for a great companion to BSG on the Sci Fi Channel. I miss that show.

March 17 2008 at 12:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
PB

I loved Space: A&B! It was really terrific. I think my favorite episode is when one of the cadets was on a mission on a Chig planet and he and whoever else he was with (can't recall if it was another cadet or an alien or what) had to be silent the entire episode. The only dialog for the entire hour was at the beginning and at the end (if I remember correctly!). It was so well done. Really suspenseful.

March 17 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Boomstick

CHIGS!!!!!

March 17 2008 at 11:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

Oh yea ... to the person who submitted the question ... the show is available on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/Space-Above-Beyond-Enríquez-Alcalá/dp/B000BCCAEQ/

March 17 2008 at 11:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

This show suffered the curse of being on FOX ... the ADD network who has zero patience, which thinks that if a show doesn't have 89% marketshare before the first episode airs, that it is a failure.

March 17 2008 at 11:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

I really wish someone would revive that show, it was riveting. I remember one of the last episodes had them capturing one of the alien enemies. They had to build a glass/clear box to put him in because the aliens breathed a different atmosphere. As they were interrogating the alien to find out why they were always trying to kill humans, it came out that the aliens had actually evolved on Earth waaaay before the humans ever came close to coming into existence. That was a monkey wrench in the works that made a compelling storyline even better and then the show was gone! I still want to know more about that, damnit!!!

March 17 2008 at 10:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply