April 17, 2014

Jericho: Sedition

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 19th 2008 8:23AM

Lennie James and Skeet Ulrich(S02E06) "When do we leave?" - Jake Green

Is it just me or was it kind of funny that each of the wanted men had their addresses under their name? Are they really that hard to find? I couldn't help imagining the soldiers busting down the wrong door. "Hey guys, this is 92 Washington LANE. Jake lives at 92 Washington DRIVE." Although I am a fan of random trivia and now we know the address of many of the characters. By the way, while Jericho, may be a real city, 66812 is not an actual zip code.

We also found out that Goetz's first name is actually John. Now I'm hoping that the man on the phone is named Stathis Borans.

I had a feeling that Beck was going to go all military eventually. Even though he seems like an honorable person, he is clearly not to be trifled with. I'm curious, however, what he plans on doing with Stanley. Unless he plans to make an example of him, what would be the point of prosecuting him?

I was pleased to see the Hawkins family reunion; too bad it seems short lived. I seriously doubt that Hawkins has a fake ID for every member of the family.

What a brilliant idea to have Grandpa Green return to chat with Jake during his torture. David Huddleston has played that kind of role as far back as I can remember and he is a master. Compare these scenes to the light-heartedness of his scenes last season and you'll see that even though the stakes are extremely different, the acting style is almost exactly the same.

It was nice to see Pamela Reed finally return as well. I thought she had permanently taken up residence in San Francisco to be Eli Stone's mom. It's as if the Jericho writers finally realized, "Oh crap, we forgot that these people have families."

I wasn't too surprised by the military crackdown. Anyone could see that's where the town was headed anyway. I didn't expect Beck to be so lame and tell Jake that he was responsible for it, though. You'd think he'd at least have the balls to take responsibility the same way he took the town.

One thing that bothered me is how Mimi got from the hospital to the hideout without anyone following her. Surely Beck would have thought to have someone watch her just in case she tried to contact Stanley and the rest. Am I to believe that she slipped out unnoticed?

I know I am not the only one enjoying the comedy antics of Jimmy and Bill. Maybe when CBS brings down the ax a second time, these two wacky deputies will get their own spinoff. It'll be like post-apocalyptic CHiPs.

I lost a little faith in Hawkins after the phone call. He had to know that the phone guy would give him up, so why didn't he alter his plan? He didn't really think he could drive all the way to Texas without being stopped did he? In any event, the conversation he had with the man on the phone was chilling. Even though it ended with Hawkins all alone in the middle of nowhere with no way to get back home, I still felt sorry for the phone guy. It also reminded me that just when you think things are black and white on the show, you get faced with a big wall of gray.

Do you really think CBS will renew Jericho?
Yes260 (48.0%)
No282 (52.0%)

R P

I love Jericho and am sorry to see it go. But this episode had so many plot-holes it was almost funny.

We've all noticed how quick Mom got back to Jake without..supposedly the whole army not noticing. And HOW did she get in to Jakes guarded room and then the army doesn't follow her?

AND maybe I'm remembering it wrong but didn't Hawkins turn up at the hide-out in the last scene after supposedly being miles away and without a vehicle with enemies right on his trail? Does Hawkins have lots of secret tunnels hidden everywhere? Because he is always doing that.

I know there were more like that but it was almost impossible to keep track of the plot goof-ups.

Bzuh?

March 24 2008 at 4:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

I LOVE Jericho & I have since the beginning. I've taped (I' still clinging to my old VCR) every epsiode but willl probably buy the dvd's too. That being said, last night's ep wasn't as good as last week's, but it had to be a little letdown because last week's was a killer. I agree that getting Mimi to Stanley-and in fact the seemingly endless parade of people getting there without any trouble at all- bothered me a little, but I guess I can forgive that, seeing as they need to do so much in very little time. I've thought the same thing about the cabin that Hawkins has been hiding out in, it justs seems to me that it would be a lot harder to keep all these actions hidden from Beck,given his large number of troops at his disposal. And Hawkins stealing the J&R car, how the heck did he pull that off?

As for the voice on the phone, I really thought we would eventually find out wh it is & that that person was really one of the good guys. I kind of wish they had written it that way, because the way it is now- with just one episode left- I don't see how we are going to get a satisfactory ending. Unless, of course, CBS brings it back or lets Sci-fi or some channel, ANY CHANNEL, continue the story. Man on man, I sure hope that don't ax it again. I already lost Journeyman & I can't take another loss of a favorite!

I agree with what Bella said, although my "edge-of-my seat" was more last week than this, but I told my friend last week, I had to remind myself at the commercial breaks (yes, CBS, I DO watch the ads) that this wasn't really happening. I just keep thinking how awful the situation is for the people of Jericho, just one day everything we take for granted in this country-electricity, access to food, freedom in general- is just taken away. How hard that would be.

So, yeah, I'm really praying that somehow we get to keep the show on the air. It's a truly enjoyable way to spend an hour each week.

March 20 2008 at 4:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RevJonathan

This is such a great show but I don't see why it was made for network TV. It clearly doesn't fit the norm, but any other cable network would kill for this. The cast is great, but obviously not expensive. They don't need incredible effects.

This is not a high budget show. I don't see why it wasn't made for cable. Still, the fact that it is low budget, may mean that it can get saved. It doesn't need to get as many viewers if its cheaper to make. Sadly, I doubt that is the case, and CBS will end quite an enjoyable 42 minutes of torrented TV..... I mean ad-filled hour that I watch entirely.

March 19 2008 at 8:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RevJonathan's comment
iamhoff

Great observation! Maybe FX could pick it up, and find a slot for it. If CBS has enough brains, they'll renew it. If they've not quite got that much, but still have some brains, they'll at least shop it to another channel/network.

March 20 2008 at 3:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jennifer

I agree that having Mrs. Green last night was awesome. It's an unfortunate fact that as a result of the shortened cost-cutting experimental season they were given (yay for nuts!) that they were instructed to pare down the cast to just the cooler more marketable young people. This is why we haven't seen Mama Green, why the mayor disappeared for 6 weeks, and why we didn't see the Hawkins kids until tonight. I'd say while sad, these are acceptable sacrifices to receive a season at all! Plus, Pamela Reed is probably way safer in San Francisco with Eli anyway. :)

March 19 2008 at 3:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I loved the scenes of Jake and his grandfather. They reminded me of Yoda and Luke Skywalker.

March 19 2008 at 3:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I love this show as well.

Mimi getting to Stanley bugged me too.

But if the bomb had a tracking device, how come it wasn't located before now. Also, Hawkins couldn't get his laptop out of the truck. So is he basically cut off from everything now?

Beck telling Jake it was HIS fault that they had the military crack down really ticked me off. It made me want to rebel right along with the rest of the city!

March 19 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ann

I LOVE JERICHO and I PRAY that CBS renews it.
It's different, exciting and has 'heart', all at the same time.
I wasn't crazy about last night's episode. It had a lot of holes in it. But even so, the hour went by like 10 minutes.
Beck is on my very last nerve. Poor Jake. :(
I have a feeling that next week is gonna be really good.
I hope and pray it's not the last episode we see because I will be broken-hearted.

CBS PLEASE RENEW JERICHO!!!!!

JOHNSTON GREEN R.I.P.
BONNIE RICHMOND R.I.P.
GEOTZ R.I.H.

March 19 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

I just emailed a friend telling her not to get her hopes up about it being renewed. She was all excited because last night's episode ending with them saying, "SEASON" finale next week instead of "series" (at least that's how it ended in the central and western time zones). I told her CBS will probably still cancel it (it really hasn't pulled in the numbers the executive producer said it would need in order for renewal). I think they just said "season" instead of "series" so we don't start sending nuts again. *Or* even better, start sending them wads of spit like Jake did Beck. ;D

I'm going to miss it. [Sigh] :(

March 19 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

LOL - "It'll be like post-apocalyptic CHiPs."

... But I think it's even funnier that you actually tagged this post with "CHiPs"

* Damn you for getting the CHiPs theme song stuck in my head!

March 19 2008 at 12:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C1rodz

Gosh talk about being on the edge of your seat. We need more serials out there like this. This is such a great quality show. Why can't the TV moguls get a clue. Jericho has been the only show to touch me and affect me profoundly. I love this action and human quality of the characters. Please bring it back for a 3rd season!!

March 19 2008 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply