November 20, 2014

Miss Guided: Homecoming (series permiere)

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 19th 2008 9:22AM

Judy Greer(S01E01) I'm not quite sure what to make of this show. It's hard to decide what I like and don't like considering that the show is really not that unique. For example, I've always been a fan of Chris Parnell but his work on Miss Guided pales in comparison to the stuff he does on 30 Rock. The same goes for Brooke Burns but if I had to choose, I'd rather see her in those jeans she wore on Dog Eat Dog.

Judy Greer is super funny. Her guest spot on Two and a half Men was brilliant in my opinion. So when she got her own show, I was interested to say the least.

The flashback gag showing us what a loser Becky was in high school got old real fast. In fact it got old so fast that it actually happened in the early 90's when The Simpsons started doing it. Besides weren't most of us lame in high school, for one reason or another?

One gag I enjoyed was the random interview-style lines that some characters had. It gives the writers an easy way to put in some very funny dialogue, especially the one with the janitor and the hard drive. My worry, however, is that it will eventually wander into Family Guy territory and become random and unfunny.

Usually, I dislike shows that take place in high school and have a bunch of hot teachers on staff. My high school only had one hot teacher and she quit after two years to sell real estate. However, since this show is trying very hard to be a wacky comedy, they should go even farther with the hot teachers. Brooke Burns should be breathtaking in every scene. I did see in the previews that Ashton Kutcher (who is one of the show's executive producers) is going to guest as a hot substitute, so maybe that will be a funny situation. If so, it will be the first time Kutcher has been funny since he left That 70's Show.

I thought for sure that this show took place in California but I guess it actually takes place in a very sunny part of New England. How else can you explain the appearance of April Nardini, Luke's daughter from Gilmore Girls? Seeing her on this show made me feel the same way I feel when I see Scott Patterson on Aliens in America. Wasn't there something better they could have done?

I really don't know what else to say about the show. The comedy was pretty predictable. The characters were two-dimensional and the premise is really overdone. That being said, I'll watch it again to see if it gets any better. Honestly, there is such a dearth of decent sitcoms on TV these days, I really hope it improves.

Should Ashton Kutcher stick to producing reality shows?
yes47 (38.2%)
no76 (61.8%)

Joe

You call THIS a comedy?

Comedies are supposed to be taped before a live studio audience, not some single camera/unfunny lame joke setup!!

March 20 2008 at 8:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

My girlfriend and I couldn't make it through the whole thing...it just wasn't very entertaining (although I agree about the one-off interviews however). She said it was better when Drew Barrymore did it in that movie a long time ago :-) Plus, I just didn't find much to like in the lead character. She was annoying, clueless, and not worth watching for a full hour. Oh well, we gave it a chance...

March 20 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

The show is well crafted, had some good jokes - but still I rooted for the hot chick and not for the geek. Why should I? She's totally nerdy and overall just plain helpless.

Anyway - serious glitch in the Matrix at the end of the show - the student with the backpack outside the window of the teacher's lounge puts on his backpack and walks in a half circle in front of Mrs. Guidance-Counselor's white VW two times within ten seconds. Actually made me a little bit sick watching it and checking whether I was right about that. Plays tricks with your mind...

March 19 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kip

TV Geek:
Nice overview. This was a decent first episode. I am going to give it a chance to get some legs.

It was also nice to see the spy kids son on the show as well.

March 19 2008 at 8:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

I kept racking my brain and finally figured out who Judy Greer looks just like... Cynthia Watros, formerly Libby on Lost.

I meant to watch this premiere but forgot it was coming on. Need to see if it's gonna repeat.

Kthnxbye.

March 19 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tool

The show definitely has potential. Judy Greer is terrific.

March 19 2008 at 2:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tess Capra

I think it would be a better show if Greer were more self-aware of how her current situation mirrored high school, but was sort of helpless to escape it. More *Never Been Kissed* and less *Romy and Michelle.* Greer, imo, is funnier when she's sharp and caustic than clueless and flakey.

March 19 2008 at 1:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bayportbob

well...... it was the first show, one has to suppose that this is what they sold the network on as well as ashton making a (some) guest appearances. at best it was just ok. don't know if it will be worth me watching another episode in the future.

March 19 2008 at 11:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gig

I thought it was funny and preety well written. It beats the hell out of any reality show.

Only two hot female facilty members really isn't that many considering it seems like a pretty large school. And they certainly showed some Ugos.

March 19 2008 at 11:35 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply