July 28, 2014

Lifetime nixes ABC's October Road and Men in Trees

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 20th 2008 10:23AM
Men in treesThis is disheartening. ABC has been looking to Lifetime as a new home for Men in Trees and October Road. Both dramatic series have not as yet been picked up for next year, and now this report makes it clear they are both skating on thin ice. The powers that be at Lifetime were given copies of both shows to review and chose not to pick up either of them. They basically threw the ball back to ABC, forcing the network to decide the fate of these two shows.

The ratings have sucked for October Road and Men in Trees, in part because ABC has bounced them all over the schedule. You would need a compass, GPS and a gypsy fortuneteller to know how to find them if you care enough to watch.

Of the two show, Trees has a better chance of getting some kind of reorder from ABC because the show -- supposedly -- enjoys "solid support at the network." I'd like to think that's true, but I haven't seen it.

Fans of both shows have been urged to follow the Jericho model by organizing a Keep the Show On the Air campaign. At the message boards on ABC.com, an efforts been made by Men in Trees supporters to plant tree for families in third world countries. After substantial amount has been accrued, ABC president Steve McPherson will receive a certificate attesting to how many fans were motivated to do this to prove their love for Men in Trees. Very creative, and likely more helpful to the world than peanuts.

On the other hand, October Road's Bryan Greenberg and Geoff Stults were on Yo on E! and when asked about how fans could persuade the network to pick up the series, Bryan facetiously (I think) urged them to rake up leaves, bag them and ship to ABC. Geoff had another idea: "Send me cash." Hmm...didn't that once get Soupy Sales into trouble? (You do remember Soupy Sales, don't you?)

Lovirea

I feel completely opposite about these two shows. I never really enjoyed Men in Trees all that much. The plot was not all that great, but I watched it because there was nothing better on TV. Now, it's gotten so boring I completely stopped watching it. Bye Bye. October Road on the other hand has never lost my attention. I look forward to it every Monday night. I hope and pray it comes back for a third Season. I also might add that I HATE soap operas and October Road does not have a soap opera feel to it by any means. Why do people dislike shows about "real" people in "real" situations? When will we get tired of the same old reality crap? I never much liked it to begin with.

April 07 2008 at 1:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
janis

October Road is a drama. People who like dramas will love it. Unfortunately most people prefer to see shows about crime. Maybe some of the characters should murder a few others and a few characters could be kidnapped and found dead! That might boost the ratings. Obviously, I feel exasperated by the fact my favourite dramas are constantly cancelled.

March 31 2008 at 8:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heinlein

I don't care for October Roead, but the first season of Men In Trees was really funny and light-hearted. The second season has been OK, but there has been a bit too much of serious issues and less light subjects, especially Patrick's memory loss, Jack lost at sea and Cash's sickness. Still it is better than most other shows and I would like to see it renewed (and oout on DVD). I can't believe ABC held back the new episodes during the strike when most other channels had nothing interesting to show. Why not take advantage of a large episode stockpile and almost no competition. Stupid!

March 29 2008 at 7:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lissie

I am a huge fan of October Road, and I sincerely hope it will be picked up for another season. I have seen every episode but I have not been counted in the ratings. The lines are memorable, the characters are endearing and human, the plot has roped me in, and it is on a cliffhanger! Please give this show another chance.

March 24 2008 at 4:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Carrie

I have not gotten into October Road but I love Men In Tress and look forward to watching it every week. I even dvr the show and always watch it again. Please don't get rid of this show.

March 23 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Erica

I hope OR does get cancelled so Bryan Greenberg can come back to One Tree Hill

March 21 2008 at 12:00 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Coronaboy

I'm a fan of October Road, I'm hoping CW will pick it up (since two former actors from the network are in it). The reason for the bad ratings is the fault of ABC, and the time slot they put it in... that's my opinion anyhow.

March 20 2008 at 10:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Coronaboy's comment
hiheenah

Me too! I watched all episodes of October Road in about two weeks and only realized it was in danger of not coming back after I was wayyyy hooked. I am shocked that some people think "they ran out of material." I feel like it was just gettng warmed up. I think this would be a great CW show (forget ABC). Great replacement for Gilmore Girls. I don't care where it goes though as long as it comes back somewhere - here's hoping!!

April 17 2008 at 10:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
an4rew

I think October Road is a great show, i watch it with my girlfriend and we spend some quality time together. Isn't that what its all about.

March 20 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric Cotton

I was a big fan of Men In Trees until this season. The Patrick-loses-memory story line is just silly (and not in a good way), and never-ending. And the Marin-and-Jack-make-house drama was about as cliched as you can get. Sadly, I'm done with it.

March 20 2008 at 4:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric Cotton's comment
Brenda Kimberlin

I agree -- Men in Trees is a mess. It just feels like the writers, or maybe it's the producers, have gotten lazy ... and crazy. It's become boring, predictable ... if it weren't for some of the actors, like the woman who plays Celia (I think her name is Cynthia Bilhartz) ... it would be a total loss. The last 3 straws for me:

1) when Patrick got amnesia ... seriously, amnesia?? Is that the best they can do???

2) that scene where Marin suddenly found herself surrounded by wild wolves ... how ridiculous

3) when they showed Jack and Julia "stranded at sea" and the "sea" looked like a YMCA pool with all the lights turned off and a lot of wave action, it was so second-rate
I felt like I was watching Guiding Light.

I used to look forward to this show every week, and I would watch and re-watch each episode (in the first season, at least.) Now, I can leave it on my TiVo for days and not care when I watch it.

April 27 2008 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Love Men in Trees! Hate networks that cancel practically every show that I like. Sick of the ratings game. Sick of game shows, talent contests, and reality television. Sick of giving new shows a chance only to have them yanked! Must develop other hobbies!

March 20 2008 at 4:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply