July 31, 2014

Martha Byrne dishes about leaving As the World Turns

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 20th 2008 4:22PM
Martha ByrneFor the past two decades, give or take a year here and there, actress Martha Byrne has played the character of Lily Snyder on As the World Turns. That all ends next month. According the executive producer Christopher Goutman, "We made Martha an incredibly generous offer in hopes that she would remain. Unfortunately, Martha has decided to leave despite our best efforts to keep her." That's the show's side of the story. Michael Logan spoke with Martha Byrne to hear her side of the story.

It turns out that contrary to Mr. Goutman's statement, their offer to Martha -- a two-time Daytime Emmy award winning actress -- was lame. In 2007, when asked to take a pay cut, she signed a one-year deal. For 2008, her only request before re-signing was a guarantee on the number of days she would work. "I thought it was only fair - and I wanted it on paper - that I would work the same amount of days," she told Logan. Instead of negotiating, ATWT refused her request and sent out a notice to re-cast the role.

"After that, things went from bad to worse. I can't get into those details but it solidified my decision to leave the show. I never intended to speak about this, but I now feel I must. ...I feel the fans deserve the truth."

Speaking truthfully, this is a real blow to As the World Turns watchers. Martha has grown up on the show. Her character has gone from being a teenager who fell in love with the stable boy to the mother of a young man who has realized he's gay. She's played Lily through every kind of emotional trauma. She's left the show of her own accord a couple of times, but always came back because nobody else ever was the real Lily -- she was. And with Jon Hensley, who plays Holden, she's been half of one of the soap world's best love stories. Her leaving the show under these circumstances really stinks.

Unlike other actors who are let go or treated shabbily by management when they are no long popular or in front-burner stories, Martha's is still very popular and has had lots of action this past year. "I've spent 21 years of my life at ATWT and have loved every minute of it, and that's what's so hard about this," she admitted to Logan.

I hear you, Martha, and I hope you get a new gig on another soap -- or primetime -- very soon. You're good enough, you're smart enough, and doggone, people like you!

Barbara

I have watched ATWT since the 1950's and there are some of the actors/actresses who are so much a part of the show that they just can't be replaced. The role of Lily is one of them. I always missed Martha when she was gone. So far as I am concerned there is no Lily without Martha playing the role and never will be.

June 01 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
daMomma

I really do not care for the new Lily...Martha, we miss you!

May 28 2008 at 8:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KNS

I grew up watching ATWT. My mom always watched it when I was a kid and now I even have my husband watching it! I grew up with Lily and Holden. I remember when there was another lily and I never liked her. I was so happy when the "real" Lily came back. I just can't believe she's gone. I told my husband the other day, I don't care anymore if Holden and Lily split up because that's not Lily anymore! Byrne and Hensley have been together FOREVER. It just seems a shame to seperate them.

May 21 2008 at 7:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lee

The powers that be at CBS have made a terrible mistake and should reconsider this decision immediately! I have watched Martha since she first came on the show and she is one of my very favorite actresses on daytime. Not only is she talented and beautiful, but she also possesses that "IT" factor with her warm, sparkling charisma. PLEASE BRING HER BACK, ASAP!!!

May 20 2008 at 5:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
christine

You should be boycotting Proctor and Gamble products regardless. P&G refuses to stop testing its products on animals, despite the fact that these tests are not required by any law, and despite the fact that more reliable and humane alternatives do exist. http://www.pandgkills.com/main.html

May 09 2008 at 12:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky Blair

I was shocked when I saw someone else playing Lily. I did not know about her leaving. It is really upsetting because Lily and Holden are my favorite couple besides Bob and Kim, and I was hoping that they would grow old together on the show. I've been watching them since they started on the show. My husband even watches it. He just loves Martha Byrne. It's just not going to be the same without her. When you have someone as popular as Martha why would you let her go? It will definitely hurt your ratings.

May 08 2008 at 6:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
omcindy

I say we all boycott Proctor and Gamble products. I think CBS could have fought harder for her, but if it was really P&G then we should just not buy any of their products and maybe they'll get the message. The role of Lily belongs to Martha, and no one else can take her place.

May 08 2008 at 2:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TERRY

SHAME ON YOU , HIRE LILY BACK, SHE IS THE ONLY LILY I CAN ACCEPT.I'VE BEEN WATCHING AS THE WORLD TURNS SINCE CHRIS AND NANCY HUGHES, HIRE HER BACK OR I'M GONE.

May 05 2008 at 3:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NIKKI

WOW!!!- I CAN'T BELIEVE SHE IS GONE, I STARTED WATCHING THIS SHOW WHEN I WAS 13 I'M NOW 36, LILLY & HOLDEN, ARE THE REASON I TUNE IN AND HAVE SUCKED IN OTHER COWORKS INTO THIS SHOW. PLEASE BRING HER BACK, I STOPPED WATCHING YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS 5 YRS AGO ( I WATCHED THAT SINCE AGE 13) DUE TO ALL THE RECASTING. NOONE WILL EVER BE ABLE TO PORTRAY LILLY IN THE MINDS OF LONGTIME FANS....THEY ARE DESTROYING THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 29 2008 at 2:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy Bernardoni

I have been watching ATWT since I was 12 and I am 63 years old now. I have watched them come and go. I do not understand why some of these shows take off the really good and put someone else in there place. Especially someone like Lily (Martha Bryne) Stupid. ATWT has done this alot. Management should ask the fans what they think. We are the ones that keep the shows going. I love Martha as Lily I have watched her grow up and she is a great actress and has turned into a wonderful Human Being. Beautiful as well

April 25 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply