August 27, 2014

The Daily Show: March 19, 2008 - VIDEO

by Annie Wu, posted Mar 20th 2008 8:09AM
Jon StewartJon still hasn't mentioned it on the show yet, but Comedy Central has started running ads for the second Night of Too Many Stars: An Overbooked Benefit for Autism Education. Jon will be hosting once again, and the list of appearances is looking pretty sweet. Will Arnett, Steve Carell and Conan O'Brien alone are enough to drag me in. The special will be airing on Comedy Central (duh) at 8:00PM EST on April 13, which happens to be the night before the Colbert Report's big Philly adventure kick-off. Sounds like it's going to be a couple of very busy days for Mr. Colbert.

"The Govs Must Be Horny": I have no idea why, but I was actually a little worried that this wouldn't become a recurring piece. Maybe I'm secretly obsessed with details of gubernatorial perversion, regardless of how completely and utterly fake they are. Maybe. Anyway, it doesn't get much better than "He's fond of banana pudding... when it's served on the breasts of a Thai she-male". 48 more to go!

And after all that whore-y talk, it's on to the economy. No one, including President Bush, seems to know if we're really in a recession. No one, that is, but Resident Expert John Hodgman. Seriously, this man just can't fail, even when he's carting around a dead canary and a metal time-traveling helmet. My favorite quote: "When you tell people that their 'homes' are being 'foreclosed', they're typically very sad. But if you tell them that they're going camping... forever..." I also liked the Moneybeak ringtone on his iPhone. Oh, oh! And he's been cast in the new Ricky Gervais/Steve Merchant movie, This Side of the Truth. Fun fact.

"Indecision 2008": Barack Obama's speech from the 18th has been making its rounds on the Internet and the 24-hour news outlets can't get enough of it, worrying about whether or not they're still allowed to play that tape of Jeremiah Wright. Man, Jon did beautifully in this segment. Even Jason Jones and John Oliver donning funny old-time moustaches to cover the Gettysburg Address couldn't top it. In other news, Sean Hannity needs to shut his face.

The night's guest was Senator Arlen Specter, promoting his book Never Give In: Battling Cancer in the Senate. Most of the conversation centered around the topic of the book, Specter's battle with cancer. He seemed like a fun guest, managing to throw in a few jokes here and there and not totally falling victim to the "Aww, it's an old guy" vibe in the room.

Jon/Stephen: No toss! Again! Exclamation mark! I miss the Jon/Stephen love. Moment of Zen: Did Barack Obama's speech scare all the white voters?

Do you miss the Jon/Stephen toss?
Yes! I need my fix.63 (81.8%)
No.8 (10.4%)
Haha, "toss"...6 (7.8%)

BillS

In case anyone noticed Hodgman's iPhone being upside down:

March 21 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
muscles

Changing the subject slightly sorry, but i watched a program a few weeks back called being human. on BBC.
I just wondered if anyone knows if there going to do a series of this or if it was a one off thanks.

March 21 2008 at 6:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

Jim -- I really don't care about anybody's sex life... Arnold's or yours... but thank you for the constructive critique

JRL -- moi??? nasty??? I simply interjected the Junior Senator form Illinois's own words with what his mentor and pastor of 20 years has said from the pulpit. I guess Obama was wrong... words Don't have meaning! :)

Besides... Annie didn't seem to take offense... but if I offended her...

Annie... I appologize

March 20 2008 at 5:46 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Patrick

RE: In other news, Sean Hannity needs to shut his face.

Very typical of you Annie... when somebody gives you or other Liberals an opposing view your answer is to shut them up. How very progressive of you.

White people injected aids into the black man.
YES WE CAN!

Five days after 9-11...
The chickens are coming home to roost.
YES WE CAN!

Osama Bin Ladin = Harry Truman
CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN!

US of KKK-A
YES WE CAN!

I say God Daaaaamn America.
YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!
YES WE CAN!

Keep drinking the Kool-aid

March 20 2008 at 2:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
4 replies to Patrick's comment
Thomas

I tried submitting the news about John Hodgman, Tina Fey, and others a few days ago but all I got was a load of automated replies saying nobody was there or that people no longer worked for you. I didn't expect an article or mention or anything but seems a bit odd that people should receive so many pointless replies when they try to submit stories.

Anyway, correct, Hodgman can't fail.

March 20 2008 at 9:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zachary

Is that third answer in the poll a reference to Stephen's role in Harvey Birdman? I hope so.

Ha Ha... cookies on dowels.

March 20 2008 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply