July 23, 2014

Yes, Bionic Woman is really, really canceled (really!)

by Bob Sassone, posted Mar 20th 2008 2:02PM

Michelle RyanWe've been discussing this a lot lately, the fate of NBC's Bionic Woman. There were rumors flying around during the writers strike that it had been canceled, then I heard from someone on the show that it had indeed been canceled, and then Joel reported that it was probably canceled. but there was never any "official" word from the network about whether it was coming back or not.

There still isn't.

However, I think we can take the word of the show's executive producer David Eick, who says that the show is gone. He tells Wired.com that even though he though Michelle Ryan was wonderful (*cough cough*), he thought "the process was frustrating" and they "just didn't bring it all together like we did with Battlestar." He even makes a point of saying that "some" of the writing was good, which means he knows that some of the writing was bad too.

From the sounds of it, Eick just wants to move on to the next thing, whatever that might be. As I said in my reviews of the show, it had potential but never really went anywhere, and some of it was just too bad to push aside. Katee Sackhoff was good though.

The picture above is Ryan calling her agent asking, "what the hell?"

sitruc

I wasn't disappointed by the show being canceled, but I still believe they could have reworked it to make it a decent/good show.

March 21 2008 at 3:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

Why do you say in the headline that its really really cancelled -- when you say that there is no official word? I did see it came out on dvd -- I wish more shows were available like that.

But really right from the start, I was bored and never had an interest to look back. I know there was a planned reboot but because of the writers strike -- no deal.

March 20 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Hollie

So why is the show is out on DVD now...was this negotiated before it even aired? And what happens if it sells well?

March 20 2008 at 4:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joe

*Still praying for some major rethinking in regards to Journeyman...*

Journeyman was by far the best new show this season...besides Jericho that is...

March 20 2008 at 3:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Joe's comment
Dorv

Except of course that Jericho wasn't a new show this season...

March 20 2008 at 3:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

I really hope Ron Moore is going to be in total control of Caprica; last report I heard (which was over a year ago) is that David Eick would be the headliner for that production, but since BSG is coming to an end perhaps Ron will be able to keep it under his guidance? I think David Eick has some good qualities in running a show, but I don't think he should be a show runner.

March 20 2008 at 3:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
R-Bro

Let's face it: They picked the wrong actress for the lead role.

March 20 2008 at 3:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to R-Bro's comment
Eugene

Meh, I blame the writing more than the actor.

March 20 2008 at 3:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
LC

I agree Eugene. Even if Sackoff had the lead role, it still would have sucked with that writing.

March 20 2008 at 3:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I agree that Journeyman was way better than this show. It's a shame that it got axed before it found a bigger audience. I still say that Journeyman would have done much better if paired with a show like Medium.

March 20 2008 at 3:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

my fear: studio execs will see the failure of Bionic Woman as a sign that the TV going audience doesn't like sci-fi... and not that the TV going audience doesn't like BAD sci-fi.

March 20 2008 at 2:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eugene's comment
Nhex

I wouldn't worry about that. It's just the last few years have given rise to lots of lame sci-fi revivals (Kolchak?!) and shows trying to imitate Lost and Heroes. Sadly even when they turn out to be good (Journeyman) they often get ignored anyway.

But as long as there's that breakout hit every so often, they'll keep trying. If that Star Trek movie does well, you can bet your ass there'll be a new series.

March 20 2008 at 2:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Stewart

I'm glad the show is cancelled, it wasn't really going anywhere. I couldn't take her seriously as a field agent at all, it was like Sydney Bristow meets Clueless. =P

March 20 2008 at 2:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply