September 16, 2014

Lipstick Jungle: Chapter Seven: Carpe Threesome (season finale)

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Mar 21st 2008 10:38AM
Lipstick Jungle
(S01E07) "When fortune knocks, offer a chair." - Lorraine, the writer

NBC advertised this week's episode of Lipstick Jungle as the "season finale." Yet, about a month ago, they ordered six more episodes of the series saying that season one would get 13 episodes. NBC probably doesn't want LJ to face shows like Lost; so the network probably decided to air those six episodes next season in a less threatening timeslot. Let's face it, the series, even if it definitely got better over time, is not the best out there. It benefited a lot from the strike since it aired without much of competition.

Even if the season finale could have been more rocking, it was a satisfying episode that left viewers with a few questions such as: Was Charles really cheating?, Did Nico take the right decision?, Did Joe have a one-night stand or was this woman a "regular"?, Will Victory forgive Joe since, technically, he didn't cheat?, etc.

Even though Nico made the decision to save her marriage, I doubt we've seen the last of Kirby. I wouldn't be surprised to see Megan, the student, drop by the hospital a few more times I can already see in my mind a scene where Megan arrives in Charles' hospital room while Nico is getting coffee, kisses him, tells him that she needs/wants him while he tells her she has to go before Nico comes back. No matter if this scene happens or not; Nico and Charles will eventually have to come clean if they want to save their marriage. Does Charles want to save his marriage? Is it too late? I'm not even sure Nico would have broken things off with Kirby if she didn't suspect Charles to also have an affair. Until she found the love note, Nico thought her marriage was safe even though she was sleeping with Kirby. Seeing that note was a wake up call for her. What about Charles' heart attack? Where was he when it happened? Maybe in Megan's arms? We will know the answers only if and when NBC airs more episodes.

Not surprisingly, Victory and Joe are still in business together. However, Victory decided that their relationship would strictly be all work and no play. I wasn't that surprised to see that Joe slept with another woman since Victory made it clear they were no longer a couple. However, I was surprised to see Victory accept the threesome offer. Did she accept because she didn't want the Parks to break up the "fashion" deal or because it was a way to forget about Joe for a short while? I'm pretty sure that down the road Joe and Victory will patch things up and not only do business together but also be a couple. The question is, how long will it take for them to come back to one another? Will it take as long as it took for Ross and Rachel on Friends? Remember that Ross had a one-night stand while he and Rachel were on a break. This storyline is not unlike what is happening with Victory and Joe; they love one another but can't seem to make things work perfectly right now.

Wendy's storyline was the weakest in the finale since it didn't make her character grow much. It was pretty much the C-story, the time filler. But this storyline could create shock waves in the future episodes. Wendy didn't read the end of the script; what if it sucks? The writer said she never claimed that one of her scripts was good yet, from what we gathered in the episode, they are. So what does it mean when she said that this script was a good one? Could it turn out to be a catastrophe? Wendy put a lot on the line to get this movie going so it could backfire in her face in a major way!

Looking back at LJ's first season, I can say it's a little series that could. It started on shaky ground but found its niche as it went along. If the series does return to the small screen, I may tune in for more of Wendy, Nico, and Victory's adventures. Of course, the main factor in me deciding if I'll watch the series or not will be what other shows air at the same time. If it wasn't for the strike, I would have never watched the series.

How did you like the series? Will you return to it when it comes back? Vote in our poll and comment below!

Out of 5 (being the highest), how would you rate Lipstick Jungle's first season?
5420 (57.2%)
4185 (25.2%)
392 (12.5%)
217 (2.3%)
111 (1.5%)
Never watched9 (1.2%)

Samantha

I enjoyed this season. I agree that if there wasn't a strike I probably would not have started watching it. I was also a bigger fan of Cashmere Mafia and I was a little disappointed when it ended....

LJ grew on me though. The season finale was definitely not what I would have liked.... I wouldn't have known it was the season finale if I hadn't looked up why there was no episode this week...... They should have continued it longer... I felt like there weren't enough episodes....

April 11 2008 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul Pincus

This is show was so much better than I expected...it kept getting better and stronger as the season progressed. Kim Raver is so brilliant! 'Kirby' is destined for superstardom. 'Wendy' and 'Victory' balance the show. I can't wait till next season!!!! lOVE LJ

April 07 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
paula

I love this show.Lipstick jungle is a very awsome show I hope it comes back in the fall it would be a shame not to give it a good chance, it has a great chance at being a really great show, plus Andrew McCarthy is still hot after all these years. Hope to see it back in the fall.

March 27 2008 at 9:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Terri

This is a great show. I love the characters and I definately hope they come back and keep Kirby!!!! Dont mess with Brooks marriage. It is nice to see a happy marriage between smart, powerful people. I stopped watching the mafia show when the great marriage was a sham in the first episode. What a waste. Show hot sex between married couples for a change. it does happen!!

March 25 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mandy

Love the show. It has promise to last. Can't wait to see more. I agree Wendy's character is the weakest, but balances everyone out.

March 23 2008 at 9:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

I really liked this show and hope it gets another season. Really good actresses.... MORE NBC MORE !!!

March 23 2008 at 8:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mia

I have thoroughly enjoyed the episodes of Lipstick Jungle. I think the three leads are beautiful women, wonderful actresses, and they seem to mesh really well together. Brooke Shields' character appears to be the strongest and most stable of the three. And I'm envious of their unbreakable friendship bond. The third episode was unbeatable! It left me stunned and wanting to see so much more. I enjoyed the rivalry between Brooke's character and that woman that was out to destroy her. When Brooke wrote the "B" word on the woman's beautiful white coat, I was totally shocked and delighted at the same time. I was cheering her on. I definitely hope this show returns soon, and I'm anxious to see these characters develop further. And Kirby . . . I hope we'll being seeing much more of him! I was so mad at him when he filed sexual harassment, but between those gorgeous eyes and that sexy smile . . . well, I couldn't help myself . . . I had to forgive him!!! Please NBC, Keep Lipstick Jungle!!!

March 22 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
pokermuse

I liked this show and will be glad to see it return. I thought it was much better than Cashmere Mafia. I actually care about these characters. Kirby better NOT be gone...he's yummy.

March 22 2008 at 9:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

"If it wasn't for the strike, I would have never watched the series.".............what would you haved watched, Re-runs of "According to Jim"?

Nice review but u basically blew it with that line. The uptick in the ratings for the finale should give NBC a stronger Atem to bring back the series in the Fall.

Love LJ!

March 21 2008 at 10:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
KATHRYN Y BLIZZARD

THIS SHOW IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN "LOST" , I FOR ONE AM SICK AND TIRED OF THOSE PEOPLE ON THAT ISLAND, I DON'T CARE IF THEIR EVER FOUND.

March 21 2008 at 10:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply