October 25, 2014

Reasons I miss Psych, even though it is a little hokey

by Debra McDuffee, posted Mar 21st 2008 6:02PM
psych One thing that gets me about the USA Network's "seasons" is that they barely begin, and then they are over. I am not even sure we got eight episodes of Psych, and now it is gone again, just as I was getting comfortable with my weekly dose of hokey. Hokey, says I? Then why do I miss it?

1. Corbin Bernsen -- You know you loved him in L.A. Law, heck, you even loved him in Major League II. But Psych uses Bernsen's talents to the fullest, in creating one of TV's most obnoxious dads with a true tender side (from bubble baths to believing in his son, even though it is usually somewhat veiled). So, so glad they use him more each season.

2. The mysteries -- Yes, a grand part of the hoke, and sometimes painfully predictable. But I love a mystery, even of the lamest kind, and for me, a show that has some secrets not revealed until the end carries some clout.

3. Sexual tension between Shawn and Jules -- OK, I know lots of shows have this formula, but the thing that makes this duo different is that we got to watch as Shawn's silly advances made Jules increasingly uncomfortable, and vice versa. Yes, vice versa. Remember the episode with the speed dating? It was refreshing to actually see Shawn feeling a little uncomfortable, a nice insight to a character who usually oozes over-the-top charisma and self-assurance.

4. Uncomfortable Gus -- Speaking of uncomfortable, have you ever seen someone as uncomfortable as poor Gus? From his phobias, to his stiff demeanor, he is the perfect foil for the larger-than-life Shawn. The Shawn (and Gus) of the Dead episode is a perfect example.

5. The softer side of Lassiter -- In the first season of the show, Lassiter was relatively two-dimensional. The somewhat ridiculous Inspector Gadget-like detective has grown a softer side, which I like. More depth of character, more background and more reason as to why he is like he is. We even met his mother, which was hilarious.

6. The subtle humor -- You've got to listen closely, but Psych is downright hilarious. The 80's TV show and song references have got to be my favorite one-liners, but if you aren't of that generation, you may miss the hilarity.

7. Looking for the pineapple -- In his reviews, my fellow Squadder Rich has mentioned the pineapple's appearance, and Inner Toob has a list of all pineapple references from the first season. I guess they aren't in every episode, but knowing that the pineapple's appearance is an inside joke among the cast members makes it all the more fun to search for the tropical fruit while watching.

8. The promise of a deeper, more meaty Psych in the next season -- We left off with Shawn's mother coming back, after leaving Shawn and his dad when Shawn was just a child. Throughout this last season, we got glimpses of why Shawn's and his dad's relationship may be strained and it seemed to go back to the mom. There is some meaty groundwork laid for next season with opportunity for deeper character development which I anxiously await.

9. The Psych-outs -- C'mon, who doesn't love a good outtake?

Psych. A great show, I don't know. A really good show? Definitely, and one I sorely miss vegging out to each week.

Gowan

Are the actors who play Shawn and Jules actually dating? I thought I had heard that.

I find the show to be a lot of fun. Sure, it's sometimes predictable who did it, but the fun is in HOW they get to the who did it.

I too, love the Psych-Outs although sometimes they're more staged than outtakes.

March 23 2008 at 4:16 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Regina

Wow, actually had this same thought when I saw the commercials for it on NBC in a few weeks. It's a show that I know will always amuse and keep me into for the hour. True, not for the mysteries, but the relationships. Even Shawn and the chief have a complicated one. I honestly can't say there are all too many shows that can do both - with or without the writers' strike.

March 23 2008 at 8:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jake

psych shows up on on nbc -- sundays at 10p on April 6th -- spread the word so that this show can explode as it should be.

March 22 2008 at 10:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rich

The show is just fun. That's why we like it even though it's not "great." Anyone remember when TV used to be fun?

March 22 2008 at 5:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Season 1 was 15 episodes, Season 2 was 16. But they divide it up, having a few months break between seasons (so it's 8 episodes, then 4-5 months off, then the remaining 7 or 8). Ditto for Monk. It seems Monk and Psych were the only 2 shows not affected by the WGA strike.

I like Psych, though now that we're 2 seasons in, it seems there is no legitimate reason for him to keep up with the "fake psychic" stuff, at least when dealing with the police (private clients will want it). Yeah yeah yeah, I know, in the series premier Chief Vick said they'd prosecute him for interference with police investigations if his act turned out to be fake. But at this point, he's solved so many serious (murder) cases for them, does anyone really think they'd arrest him or no longer work with him if he explained the clues he finds in order to make the deductions he makes and cut out the fake psychic act? Come on, of course not. So the whole premise of the show is kinda weak at this point. And they've recognized that, Shawn does a lot less of his "act" in the latter half of season 2. He's clearly gotten comfortable noting clues and asking questions based on them without going into a whole twiching psyhic "I'm getting..." or "I'm hearing...." act thing. He hardly did it at all the last few episodes.

But the show is so hokey, that's what makes it fun, and the internal logic of it all just doesn't really matter. I just enjoy it for what it is.

March 22 2008 at 12:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Woody

I agree. At first, I thought it was just a silly show. But I did get hooked on it in the 2nd season too. Now that it's gone, I actually have been hoping for the reruns to come one so I can catch up with everything. Been even thinking about getting the dvd of the first season.

March 21 2008 at 8:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jordancda

I completely feel the same way. Its kind of like the band Keane for me, I don't know why, but I keep coming back to it every other day. I just got hooked on Psych this second season and love it. Its not great, but it is just feel good, clever, entertainment - which I miss dearly. I wish they would run more repeats. It'd be great if they could rerun the whole first season over the summer.

March 21 2008 at 6:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply