November 27, 2014

The History Channel is no more

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 21st 2008 9:23AM
HistoryThe History Channel is going away. The network's name will now simply be History. This move is being done to promote their attempts to move into other forms of media.

The network was once dubbed "The Hitler Channel" by some critics due to its overabundance of World War II documentaries. History is apparently following the model of other channels and loosen the central theme of the network.

This follows Jay Black's theory of Channel Drift. I think the History Channel (or whatever it's calling itself) is trying to broaden its audience in an attempt to reap more advertising dollars. It wouldn't surprise me if, in the near future, it began doing reality television shows with a historical theme.

In the end, I don't see this as a good thing for the History Channel. I think it's a move that will alienate its core audience and make it lose what distinguishes it from the competition. And one day, when you're itching to watch a World War II documentary, there will be none available.

TylerH

lately i have been upset with the "History" channels programming, at any moment if you turn on the History channel it is all aliens and end of the world. it has been thinning the line beetween fact and fiction, it used to show actual history and you could learn a thing or two, now its just like... Facepalm

November 08 2012 at 7:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jubalsackett

They should call it the white trash channel

October 21 2012 at 1:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Francine Price

I can get more history reading a book on history than by watching the history channel. Their programming sucks and is going the way of MTV!!!!!!!

June 04 2012 at 2:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nabem

Too bad! I like watching history documentaries. I don't understand what ice truckers and swamp men, etc. has to do with history. Theravada so many interesting time periods and spectacular things that have happened in the past. Everyone could benefit from learning from the past. I hope this channel doesn't abandon all it principles just for profits!

April 26 2012 at 3:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Micia Sakowitz

It’s simple, when the History Channel was showing factual historically documented shows with true authenticity for some reason that stopped getting high ratings. Now you start showing crap, about Pawn Shops, dumb Cajuns in the bayou, Truckers driving on ice, and all kinds of other bullsh*t, suddenly the advertising revenue starts rolling in. Just goes to show you the decadence of the American TV viewer. Less interested in historical truth, fact, and logic, and would rather be “entertained” instead of “informed” or “enlightened”. This is evident, just look at what’s the highest rated News channel, FOX news! Need I say more?

November 28 2011 at 1:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Lemen

"The History Channel " is just that history

May 18 2011 at 6:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Lemen

It's all too obvious that the smart people , ( or at least people who want to be smarter ) are being out voted by "The less than smart people, which unfortunately seems to happen in elections also !

May 18 2011 at 5:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Lemen

IF I pay for a channel called "The History Channel " and I don't get that at the VERY least I'm paying for something that I AM NOT GETTING

May 18 2011 at 5:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Michael Lemen

There is NOTHING historic about "history made everyday" there is no way of know that something made today is going to be historic. To be "honest" a word obviously foriegn to them . They could call it....The Sometimes We Have History Channel. That would fit

May 18 2011 at 5:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Robby

I use to have my television on the history channel all the time, now I can't stand it. They have dropped their standards to relate more to the dumbed down Americans. I see very little history anymore, and more and more of ate up ignorant fake reality type shows. I hate this channel now. In fact nothing on the tele is worth watching anymore. I miss watching shows that might find people learning something, but thanks to a dumbed down education system and bad becoming good we have lost that. Might as well burn down the libraries as well because these ignorant people that I see everyday just want to see **** and ass, and fake reality fighting. Americans have truley become morons! Thanks history channel, hope you get your ratings by helping dumb down the country. Axe men? REALLY? Ice road truckers? REALLY? They only show history now during black history month, you know to get these already dumbed down Americans to believe that white people are at fault for everything, it pisses me off. You want some history? White folks pay the majority of entitlement programs that white folks do not get to use, Our country is done! And we will soon be history!

May 01 2011 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply