October 24, 2014

CBS sets Shark for spring...and more Price is Right

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 24th 2008 8:28PM
James WoodsShark will swim again -- at least for the rest of this season. The future, however, remains unclear. CBS today announced that Shark will return on April 29 in a new timeslot. The network is switching the L.A. legal drama from Sundays at nine to Tuesdays at nine, where it may benefit from the strong lead-in of NCIS. Chances are that if Shark holds NCIS's ratings -- or improves on them -- that could mean more Shark for fall. If the show stumbles, CBS will likely pull the plug.

Fans of Shark may need to get more militant if they want to keep the show on the air. In a recent story we did about CBS renewals, there was fervent outcries for bringing back Moonlight and The Unit, even Cane. Out of 40 comments, only two came to Shark's defense. It may be a small sample, but still...

CBS has also decided it likes showing The Price is Right in prime time. The Friday showings, which CBS has billed as specials, have been doing well in the ratings. The Price is Right Million Dollar Spectacular has won the eight o'clock time slot in each of its four airings. There'll be four more spectaculars airing on Wednesdays at eight commencing April 30. Interestingly, that time period is sans drama and comedy across the board. ABC is showing Wife Swap, Fox offers The Moment of Truth, and NBC has Deal or No Deal.

Marge

I surely hope these messages are passed on to CBS. I was going to telephone them to let them know that SHARK is one of the best shows on regular TV. It is a show I never miss and my family is also upset that the show is going off the air and they are in the younger demographics 30 - 42 which apparently is the age group that CBS wants. The storylines are very good and the cast, especially James Woods and Jerry Ryan (she was probably coming back after her maternity leave), the arc with Billy Campbell which never ended leaving an opening for continuation and the relationship with James Woods character's daughter. I am getting so sick of all the reality shows except for "American Idol and Dancing with the Stars". I guess there's always Cable TV. At least they have some good, original story lines. CBS bring back "Shark".

June 22 2008 at 5:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Christy

I love Shark. I think it's great that it's moving to Tuesday. I always had to tape it on Sunday since it comes on so late. I think James Woods is great. All the CSI's and Shark are my No. 1 shows so PLEASE keep Shark going!

April 07 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gloria

We are happy to know that Shark is coming back on the air. We hope that it continues. We enjoy the story lines and the acting. James Woods is great, and the supporting cast works well with him.

April 07 2008 at 1:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
misty

I love Shark i'm so happy that is coming back on. I watch it every week like clock work can't go to bed till it is over. It would be a same if this one gets canceld this show is pure genius. All the actors complment each other so well. If you haven't watch this show start. I can't wait.

April 02 2008 at 12:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Angry Medic

Agreed. 'Shark' is pure genius - maybe I just haven't watched enough TV to consider it unoriginal, but in my book it's as fantastic as 'House' and the verbal zingers give me intellectual orgasms. James Woods is the main reason for its success, and if I have to send in buckets of chum (see comment #3) all the way from the UK to help keep this show on the air, British postal workers better buy some nose clips.

April 01 2008 at 9:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Juan Herrera

CBS, please change your mind about The Unit, Shark and Cane! otherwise, I might have to switch networks or don't watch at all. Quality television seems to be going to the dumpster by brainless executives. Viewers cannot become loyal to their favorite shows because as soon as they do, they get pulled from the air. Why commit yourself to a show if sometimes like in the case of Las Vegas (NBC) you don't even allow its fans closure on the storyline.

March 30 2008 at 3:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dot

James Woods is great in Shark & it is one of my families favorites,as is the Unit & Cane. What do we have to do to keep the shows with good stories & stars ? We keep getting silly reality shows that drive us to reruns of CSI& Law & Order which we have already seen.

March 30 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
The Midnight Penguin

I agree with those of you that have said football messed up DVR recordings - it almost made me not want to watch the episodes I had that were full. However, I do also tend to agree that there isn't too much that is "special" about this show to make it standout - EXCEPT for James Woods. He's the only reason I continue to watch the show, but it would be a Fri night/Sat day type show that I just relax to and watch - I have no urgency to catch it immediately.

If they would show the reruns of SHARK on Sat nights like they would for the CSI's then I'm sure they'd see a lot more people that MIGHT have watched it with football messing up the original airing. Really, are the people that watch football the same people that watch Cold Case or Shark? More than likely not. If Shark had the first spot over Cold Case I'm also sure it would have gotten better ratings as well. Seems the football crowd might have been drawn to James Woods a little more than the coldcasers - ANY GIVEN SUNDAY anyone?

Oh well, I'll continue TIVOing until it goes away...

March 29 2008 at 5:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim Kosmicki

I will agree with chadwick. My family watched the first season and enjoyed it enough (almost entirely due to James Woods) and set our DVR for this season. But we finally stopped trying to watch it, as it never aired in its timeslot due to football over-runs.
I don't mind them moving it to Tuesdays, as we'll at least get the entire episode. The networks always loved the football over-run back in the days when there were fewer options - it kept people committed to that network on Sunday night. But with DVRs and downloading, they need to realize that those football over-runs most likely COST them viewers these days.

March 25 2008 at 1:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Margaret Calvert

I regularly watched Shark, Cane and Moonlight. They were all on my list of shows to "never miss." I enjoyed K-Ville, too. Shark is as good as it is because of James Woods - hands down. He's unique and remarkable and not to be missed, IMHO. I'll miss any of these shows that get cancelled; although I've read that K-Ville has already bit the dust.

March 25 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply