September 1, 2014

Stump the King - Jericho

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 24th 2008 8:00AM

Jericho in happier timesWell, it's now official. Jericho is done.

You have to wonder, was it all worth it? I mean, sure, we got a few more episodes and I, personally, am grateful for the upcoming series finale but I'm curious if those of you who spent time and money on peanuts feel like you made a difference.

History has shown us that campaigns like this do little more than get the fans one more season. Star Trek came back with a full season that gave us classic episodes like "Spock's Brain."

One of the most successful campaigns was for the sci-fi hit Farscape. However, considering the audience for that show was pretty small to begin with and it wasn't a network show it was easier to save.

So, will Jericho's cancellation be a blow to future campaigns or will the final season be enough to inspire the fans of other canceled shows?

Here is this week's question...

Who did Chris Rock call, "The rich man's Skeet Ulrich?"

Congratulations vasu, Johnny Depp is the correct answer.

YouFaceTheTick

Tuesday at 10 is not bad. You want bad? try Fridays at any time or any Saturday. That's the Matlock hours.

we rented Season 1 after all the hub-bub about the show. Man, people must be really desperate if this kinda junk gets viewers excited. This wasn't near the quality of Veronica Mars, Dexter, Friday Night Lights or a long list of better shows. Seriously, Jericho had a good concept and some cheesey writing and worse acting and storylines. Very generic TV. Remove the Hawkins character and you don't even have a compelling character on the show.

March 25 2008 at 2:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Max

I think it's worth it. I think the problem with Jericho was that it focused too much time on the drama rather than action. With the shortened second season, I think they found their place much better and were able to even out the drama and action. I think it was improving in the second season, but I kinda wished that this plot line would have been used in season 3 or 4 but what can you do.

I don't know if anyone else is with me, but I would be interested for an article on here that talks about the different campaigns that fans did that brought their shows back. I never knew that Star Trek was brought back. I wonder what other shows were...

March 25 2008 at 2:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
htchkr

I will miss Jerico, among other shows that didn't even last as long as this one did. I've gotten to the point that I won't even watch a new show until it's lasted at least nine weeks on the air because I'm sick and tired of getting interested in a series only to have it cancelled after a few (if even that many) episodes.
I realize TV is a business...but if you've paid for thirteen episode, air thirteen episodes before you decide if people are watching.

March 24 2008 at 12:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jesjem

I only watch network T.V. We do not own cable and I don't download from the internet. Sometimes I do record shows on video if I am not home it watch it. However, I watch maybe one or two commercials at most in any given hour. When commercials come on, I clean house, pay bills, read books, put the dog out etc...

I am sure I am the typical T.V. viewer. The networks need to revamp the ratings system and the commercials. Besides that not watching commercials, how many people are really persuaded to buy a product because of the commercials? I might see a movie because of a commercial but not buy a product.

March 24 2008 at 12:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

Btw, do you really think people watching the shows that get high Neilson ratings are watching the commercials? I mean, do you really believe the TV audiences for American Idol, the CSIs, Dancing with the Stars, etc. are sitting on the edge of their seats with rapt attention during the Ford commercial? Come on! They are flipping the channel, going to the rest room, getting a snack, surfing the web or anything but watching that commercial. TV execs are truly clueless.

March 24 2008 at 12:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Europa's comment
Jennifer

Yeah, but until they can prove that nobody watches the commercials... the commercials are what puts the shows on the air. The candy is what the movies are really selling. Film stuff wouldn't exist if not to sell some kind of crap or other.

I liked season 2 a lot better than season 1. I was a regular watcher of season 4, but given a choice as to which shows I watched that got canceled to come back, I wouldn't have picked Jericho (Veronica Mars, baby). But that said, in seven episodes they did a really great job. That said, yeah, generally speaking campaigns only bring the show back for one season. That's as good as we're going to get for non-reality television any more, I'm afraid.

March 24 2008 at 4:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brent McKee

Advertiser in the end are not paying for the greatest number of people watching their commercials, they are paying for the access to people who might watch their commercials. If 60% of people watch commercials, then it follows that 60% or the audience that watches "CSI" is greater than 60% or the audience that watches "Jericho."

March 24 2008 at 5:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

The campaign to save the original Star Trek gave us much, much more than, "one more season." It gave us a whole series of feature films based on the original (fans never stopped campaigning for more after that "one more season"), it gave us the spin-offs of Star Trek TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Star Trek DS9, [Star Trek] Enterprise, a new feature that's currently in the works and there's always talk and rumor of another new series. Hello?

And as for Farscape being, "easier to save," obviously you were not involved with that campaign because you'd know IT WAS NOT EASY!! It took a LOT OF HARD WORK from some amazingly talented and creative people from vast and various walks of life (not just your typical "fan boys," "freaks and geeks") who did a bit more than write letters and buy peanuts. It also involved the incredible help and support of the cast, crew, writers and producers of the show. "...easier to save," jeeze, you need to get a clue.

But to specifically answer your question about Jericho, yes I feel it was worth the money and effort if for no other reason than it added one more hour of much needed quality television to the airwaves and took away one less hour of reality-TV garbage. That is always worth the time, money, and effort IMO.

March 24 2008 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
neork32

Jude Law

March 24 2008 at 11:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to neork32's comment
psylence

CBS did bring Jericho back and I definately appreciated every episode of this season but saying they gave it another chance is a bit of an overstatement. Tuesday night at 10e/9c? Really? Is there a worse tv timeslot? I agree the problem is dependence on numbers from nielsen's antiquated ratings system. I also agree that internet viewership isn't going to be counted until networks find a way to derive measurable profits from it. The massive support Jericho found on CBS online and iTunes proves that alternate forms of media are on the rise and as a viewer it may be easier for me to get it from iTunes then stay up until 11pm when I work at 5am. The fact that they can't figure out how to profit from alternative forms of deliver is not my problem. But it is because no more Jericho. I never watched a show on CBS before Jericho, and they've taught me a valuable lesson. Since I'm not a neilsen home, I don't count. Thanks CBS, you're not likely to see me again.

March 24 2008 at 11:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I just don't think they will be able to wrap up everything they need to in 44 minutes. I wish it would be at least a 2 hour series ender - of course it's not and that's why it's just not going to be the closer we are all looking forward to.

I also agree - Neilson's don't give the correct number by far! There are 330 Million people in the US and the top rated shows only bring in 24 million - there is NO WAY - what are the rest of the 300 HUNDRED MILLION people doing?? Unless they start putting sensors in each TV, don't bother with Neilson's anymore!

March 24 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mj green

Was it worth it? Yes. I, for one, am sick of 'them' telling us what we want to watch. I don't want to see more game shows or reality shows. They are on the air because they are cheap to make. So we sacrifice quality. Jericho had something. It made us sit up and think. We sat on the edge of our chairs. We cared, and we worried. Who didn't cry when Stanley signed over Bonnie's body? Who didn't say, 'Oh, no,' when we saw Goetz come back to Jericho? I'm glad CBS gave us these seven episodes. Of course, I'd like more. But, just like Surface, Invasion, and the Book of Daniel, Jericho is gone. Thanks to my TIVO, I have all the episodes. And yes, I will watch them again. I just wonder when we as a people will say 'nuts' to the powers that be who dictate what we like or don't like. Skeet, and all the cast and crew of Jericho, well done. You will be missed.

March 24 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to mj green's comment
moreartplease

"They" don't tell us what we want to watch, sadly. "We" tell them. I am pretty sure that if CBS could make as much money off of Jericho (or FOX off Firefly or Arrested Development, or Insert Your Favorite Cancelled Show) they would do it. In the end, the bean counters will sell the product they get the most beans for. Or at least don't lose beans by making.

I am speaking, by the way, as a huge fan of the first season of Jericho, and I was very glad to see it come back. However I doubt even that would have happened if they didn't think they would get a nice payoff from the second season DVD sales. All the free press about the fan rebellion didn't hurt either, I am sure.

Still, no one at CBS is twirling their mustache and cackling that they got to cancel the show a second time. I am sure they are sad that it didn't work out. Who wouldn't want a fan uprising for a show you believed in enough to put it on the air in the first place?

I am not saying TV execs are saints, they are not. However they have the sad dilemma of being involved in an art form that can only exist if it sells enough soap. Of course they would rather all be working on shows that are loved and acclaimed. But if those shows don't sell enough soap, they can't afford to make them.

Thankfully there are a lot of other shows out there worth watching. I, for one, plan to watch the final episode with some gratitude that they even tried to bring it back. Then I will put on my eye patch and patiently wait for the final season of Battlestar Galctica to start.

March 24 2008 at 11:28 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gooby

It was worth it. I'm actually really liking Jericho and sad to see it go, but this second season and the answers we've gotten, I'm satisfied and happy that they got to finish the story properly.

March 24 2008 at 10:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply