September 2, 2014

Medium: Wicked Game (part 1) - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Mar 25th 2008 7:04AM

The Dubois in happier times(S04E09) "What could possibly give that woman nightmares other than someone named Dorothy dropping a house on her?" - Joe Dubois

Finally a show that isn't afraid to face the real issues men face today. Can't we just be allowed to have our swimsuit issue without being made to feel guilty?

I guess our collective suspicions about Cynthia Keener were right, although it isn't much of a shock. Her abducted daughter not only explains why she is committed to finding missing children but also why she's such a bitch.

I never thought about it before but I bet it would be pretty cool to have a dad who is a rocket scientist. You would have the coolest science projects ever. I mean, I loved my Dad and I appreciate him teaching me the best way to check for freon leaks but it just hasn't been very useful information.

I don't know why it took so long for us to see one of Joe's dreams but I'm glad we finally did. More importantly, the show is finally proposing a sensible solution to Joe's unemployment. He's a smart guy so there must be plenty of other ways he can make a living. Ron Popeil isn't the only person who invents things nobody wants. I have no idea how feasible it is but I would think a moonlight powered tanning bed would be a big seller.

His second dream was the highlight of the show for me. It was more like my own dreams in that it was totally out there. It's also nice to see a pleasant dream that makes me smile for a change.

I have to say I think the writers made a mistake with Cynthia's daughter. Anjelica Huston has been so unlikeable for so long that now it's really hard to sympathize with her or the daughter we just found out about. I feel worse for the other girl in the basement who clearly had something to hide.

Cynthia's anger at Allison was pretty lame. I guess now that Joe has finally accepted that Allison's dreams always mean something, they needed another character to be skeptical. However, it doesn't make sense that the woman who has actually paid Allison for her psychic abilities would turn around and fire her for what she believes to be incompetence. I anxiously wait for the moment when Allison finally decides to look Cynthia or Devalos or Scanlon right in the eye and shout, "I f-ing told you so!"

While I would be hard pressed to risk the future of my daughters, I have to sympathize with Joe. It's not that Allison didn't believe in him but more about how she wouldn't even consider it. Is she really content to go on living on Joe's unemployment and her occasional check from Cynthia? In any event, I am very happy that there is an end in sight for that particular storyline.

While I have some ideas about how the conclusion will go, I'm nowhere near positive. Here's hoping next week's second part is better than last week's.

Which use of the solar amplifier was the best?
boom box19 (15.0%)
garage door opener12 (9.4%)
airplane17 (13.4%)
tanning bed34 (26.8%)
car45 (35.4%)

sarah

you really should be reviewing Paranormal State.

March 31 2008 at 11:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
WhatI

I agree with what you said about Cynthia. I don't understand, even with the financial problems, why you'd put up with her level of disrespect she shows to Allison. She is obviously a hack at her job, relying on others (her connections) to get the work done, and if left up to her skills (just look at the lack of effort when they questioned the Mom this week - she chose to let her doubts in Allison put an end to any questioning that would have been appropriate), she'd be out of work herself. These eruptions in behavior from Cynthia have happened too often, even with using the kidnapped daughter thing as an excuse, it is not enough to justify such cold behavior. I know next weeks episode will offer a conclusion of some sort to the daughter's fate, but it'll be sad to see Allison continue to help out of compassion instead of telling Cynthia off for being such a B.

March 25 2008 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jesjem

I also like how realistic Joe and Allison are as a couple. But I agree with Joe. Her not even considering using the college fund is the same as not believing in him. On top of that if there is only $32,000.00 in the fund and the oldest daughter is in high school, without the ability to add to the fund because of their current lack of income, that money is not going to pay for more than one and a half years at a state school anyway.

P.S. I am a female taking Joe's side.

March 25 2008 at 5:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

I loved the unemployment guy (he will always be Elvin to me!), "When are you going to stop waiting for permission to get a job?" something along those lines. I like how realistic the show is.

March 25 2008 at 10:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

This episode showed off what I like most about his show... realistic marriage. (I know it's weird but its the same reason I liked "Journeyman") I love the true to life bickering and joking around that Allison and Joe have...

March 25 2008 at 10:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply