October 21, 2014

South Park: Major Boobage

by Brad Trechak, posted Mar 26th 2008 11:38PM
South Park(S12E03) To begin, for those unaware, South Park Studios has started to offer full episodes of the show on their official site with limited commercial interruption. I originally reported this in November.

I'll say this: when the South Park team put their minds to it, they can come up with some fantastic animation. When you watch the crudity of the animation in standard episodes, it's easy to forget that they're pretty damn talented at their craft.
This episode was all over the place. There were the references to the movie Heavy Metal, of course. There was the after-school special theme and the nod to The Diary of Anne Frank. And, of course, at the end was the reference to the Eliot Spitzer scandal. All bits were individually funny but they seemed haphazardly put together like pieces from different puzzles.

I really dug the music of the Heavy Metal animations. It made me want to watch the original movie again. They really captured the essence of the movie: an acid trip with bright colors, psychedelic imagery and lots of tits.

My favorite phrases were "the Breastiary in Nippopolis" and the "Itty Titty Fairies of Mammary Mountain".

Let's face it, the boobs were everywhere. On buildings, on people, on weapons, on vehicles. Hell, they were even on the women. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is the first time the series has shown a naked animated female ass (one that was well drawn to boot).

This episode was also the first time in a while that Kenny was the featured kid of the episode. It got to the point where I was wondering if he even existed anymore. I do find it kind of disturbing that the South Park kids are supposed to be about 10 years old and despite this Kenny is something of a pervert.

The paranoid, fear mongering nature of the Fox News broadcast captured the style of the network perfectly in my opinion. It is also very much like South Park to use something as harmless as cats as an analogy for addiction. I laughed when Gerald Broflovski brought out the cat in the cellophane bag.

The Holocaust analogy and irony of Cartman saving the cats was a theme that was somewhat hammered into the audience, particularly at the end. Naturally, the lesson was lost on him. But if he could learn and grow, he wouldn't be Cartman. It may just be that Cartman likes cats more than people.

For someone who hasn't snorted cat pee in ten years, Mr. Broflovski sure kept a lot of the equipment in his basement. I'm wondering how such an overbearing woman as his wife didn't notice it earlier. Perhaps she was just too absorbed in keeping the children safe.

I thought the show had a good premise but lacked in the execution. The season feels like the creators are losing their steam. Granted, it's tough to top Imaginationland. However, I find that even the mediocre episodes of South Park have more genuine laughs and more heart than the majority of the shows out there.

Off all the ways listed at the end, which method would you have preferred Kenny used to get high?
Sniffing glue78 (7.4%)
Licking toads272 (25.7%)
Fermenting feces638 (60.3%)
Huffing paint70 (6.6%)

Tunja

Hi all,
I am trying to find the name of the song when Cartman was in the scene. The slow song. Most of the web pages have mentioned about the "Heavy Metal" relation with the episode and the music but not the slow song. Does anyone know the name of the slow song while Cartman was dealing with the cats?
Thank you very much.
Cheers

March 31 2008 at 2:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
TotallyRed

How could you not love this episode. definitely the best of this season. completely captured the essence of Heavy Metal and thank god for finally giving Kenny the spotlight it has been too long.

this had the South Park feel. the other two, not so much.
if you disagree, meet me at the Breastriary

March 30 2008 at 1:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
NukeAssault

Wow, this episode was fantastic!

March 29 2008 at 12:52 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nova

"Curse those rockin' tits"

This episode was great. I was laughing my ass off at all the heavy metal scenes. Definitely head and shoulders above the previous two.

March 28 2008 at 10:13 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Absolute Vengeance

here is the music from Major Boobage episode. I am the 1337 for getting this to you all.

Sammy Hagar - Heavy Metal
Don Felder - Heavy Metal (takin a ride)

March 27 2008 at 2:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Absolute Vengeance's comment
twostrokebluesmoke

you forgot radar rider by riggs.

March 30 2008 at 1:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthPaul

odd, I thought this season has been awesome all along so far

But then again, I am a heavy metal fan who likes boobs, britney & any episode with AIDS jokes Cartman in

March 27 2008 at 12:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DarthPaul's comment
DarthPaul

dammit lack of HTML strikethrough making me look like (more of) an idiot!

March 27 2008 at 12:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

I thought this was the first good episode of the season. I loved it. It was hilarious, and it felt so much more like traditional South Park than the first two episodes. I loved how Gerald was an addict with a sophisticated cat spraying device complete with videos of angry cats. I loved the plastic bag, the boobs everywhere and how the halucination seemed to be universal. Not only that, but the Anne Frank part was fantastic. The one thing that was really funny was that my cat got all pissed when he heard all the angry cats on the show. He actually left the room...If the rest of the episodes are like this one, I will be happy.

March 27 2008 at 12:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brooks Williams

Tonsil Trouble for the loss
Brit's New Look was great

but Major Boobage takes the win.

March 27 2008 at 11:22 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl72

"We could see numerous times how he was genuinely warm and caring with Mr. Kitty."

Not really. When the good Cartman came from an alternate dimension, one of the ways they made it clear he was good was because he actually liked Mr. Kitty.

And, speaking of bending characters to make plots work, Mr. Kitty has always been female. Hell, in one episode Mr. Kitty was in heat and trying to find a male cat to mate with. The joke was always that Cartman named his female cat "Mister."
So much for that.

March 27 2008 at 10:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MosquitoControl72's comment
Aaron

What do you want cartman to do kill it and feed it to lianne,well if thats what you want they're aren't gonna do it trey loves cats. Besides that would be really low.

March 27 2008 at 8:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MosquitoControl72

By the way, by "decent," I mean by SP standards. The show has been firing on all cylinders for a long time now. Three shaky episodes in a row is very, very rare. The show had some big laughs, but overall felt somewhat duct-taped together.

It's really making me think something is up. None of these episodes really felt like South Park episodes (although this was closest.) None had the same tone. And, while they might be better than most everything else on tv, they still felt like three episodes in the bottom half of the SP hierarchy.

Has SP ever had this kind of a cold streak? Maybe Season 2 when they were working on the movie?

March 27 2008 at 9:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MosquitoControl72's comment
Aaron

well actually you may have a point they're working on two
movies right now so maybe thats it,But I loved this episode the only problem I had was that I have not seen
heavy metal.