October 30, 2014

The most insanely compelling Lost theory on the internet

by Jay Black, posted Mar 26th 2008 12:34PM
Would an evil person have this kind of hair? You know what, probably yes.I love it when people create a website to advance their particular view of pop culture. I mean, it's one thing to get into an argument at a bar over just what the hell was going on in The Matrix; it's another thing entirely to actually spend the time getting a domain name in order to preach your theories about it.

So, when I stumbled onto Jason Hunter's "Time Loop Theory of Lost" website, I figured I would spend a few minutes mocking it and then move on. Instead, like Rerun and his run-in with the Babarambaba cult, I found myself completely converted. Seriously, I'm about to start worshiping a head of lettuce carved into a likeness of Locke. For my own sanity, I thought I'd share the theory with you guys and let you help me decide whether or not I'm insane for thinking it has merit.

[Possible spoilers! Or, possibly, no spoilers! Possibly, this is insane. Just to be on the safe-side, though, if you want the good people at ABC to unveil their secrets at their own pace, you might not want to keep reading!]

Essentially, Jason's theory about Lost is this:

1. It's possible to travel back in time. When you do travel in time, your physical body stays the same, but you "replace" the old version of yourself. So, if I were to travel back to 1994, I'd be the hairy, droopy 2008 version of myself in appearance, but I'd be the young, spry version of myself in action.

2. It's impossible to change the past. Even if you have the intent to change the past, Fate would find a way to make sure you accomplished whatever it is you need to accomplish. This extends to physical ailments as well. For instance, let's say, oh I don't know, your father pushed you out of a window and paralyzed you. When you went back in time, your body would be "healed" because Fate "needs" you to be able to walk to accomplish what you did the first time around.

3. The island on Lost, using the rules stated above, is in a constant time loop set in the year 1996. The process of entering the code every 108 minutes was to reset the time loop. Desmond failed to enter the code at the exact moment a plane was passing over the island in 2004, which allowed the plane to enter into the island, then immediately be sent back to 1996 when Desmond finally does enter the code.

Understand that I'm simplifying this theory down to its barest essentials. There are thousands of words of text over on Jason's site backing up his theory with evidence from the show. I urge you to check it out and report back here with your own analysis.

He's 99% converted me to at least the outlines of this theory. Can one of y'all talk me out of it?

What do you think of this theory?
I read the entire site and now I'm a convert.475 (40.0%)
I tried reading the site, but then realized that I have a life. From what I read here, though, it kind of makes sense.436 (36.7%)
I read the entire site and disagree completely! I'll be making my own site soon to contradict all these false theories.97 (8.2%)
I didn't read the site, but I don't agree. It'll probably be limbo or something else stupid.179 (15.1%)

Godless

I'm gonna admit, you know what you are talking
about, however there is a hole in your theory.
You say the island is on a constant time loop
in 1996, yet Minkowsky went to the future when
he time-travelled. Also, it was known already that
the button reset the EMP hidden underneath the
Swan station. Still, this is definately one of the
better theories I've read.

March 27 2008 at 7:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Luis

Coudn't read it (website down), but so far I'm not convinced. Specially since premise 1 and 2 are flawed.

1. If an adult time traveled back, that adult retains the memories and attitudes it gained as a teen, hence if no physical change occurs, the memories stored in the neurons in the brain would have to banish in order to be the adult persona to be replaced by child persona.

Time travel contradicts fate in any equation. For one or more elements from the future will be present in the past altering it, preventing the 'original' requirement for fate.

March 27 2008 at 4:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bubbalove

Interesting theory, and he obviously spent a lot of time developing it and attempting to cover all the bases... And he might have a few points that may end up being valid, but Ii think his overall and "complete" explanation is at its core, wrong.

His "Quantum Leap" influenced idea that a time traveler can only go back as far as the lifetime of the time machine's existence itself is disproven by the remains of the DAHRMA polar bear buried amonst the ancient relics of the Tunisian dessert. Obviously, time travel is possible beyond the scope that he presents within the LOST universe.

And I'm not buying into theory of the smoke monster being a "fate corrector" either. I'm as passionate against that idea as he is for it. it just doesn't feel right to me, despite his "evidence" supporting it...

March 27 2008 at 12:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to bubbalove's comment
brett

I read the site and it makes a certain amount of sense, at least in the big picture. No, it doesn't explain every detail, but how could it, when we don't know all the details yet.

I agree with you re: Smokey, though. If it's just "fate" correcting things, why the all the strange clanking, chain noises and such?

March 28 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tad

Very interesting and extensive theory... explains a lot of things that other theories don't (such as Ben's power, the fact that people can't really die).

One problem though, in a recent podcast the creators have come out and said that there is absolutely only one timeline... no parallels, no redos... just one.

March 27 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Russell

I have a problem with this theory right out of the chute. Rabbit 15 went back in time and did not replace Rabbit 15 from that time. However, I love the theory even though it's, apparently, wrong.

March 27 2008 at 10:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob Walley

I really loved reading this site and it's theorys and I want to believe that much of what it predicts actually will come to pass. I wanted to show this info to my wife...but the damn site is down. I hope it's just a server overload due to the attention it got here. The worst possibility is that he got a lot of it all RIGHT and Abrams, Lindeloff and the others kindly asked him to take the site down in exchange for some merchandise, a trip to Hawaii, etc...

March 27 2008 at 8:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
A. C.

I read the whole site, it is interesting... but in my opinion, every time the author finds something he cannot explain, he uses the "fate correcting itself" line.

The author of the theory gives an argument, then finds an exception for it, and tells you it is fate's way of correcting itself; or that fate decided that this or that should not happen.

March 27 2008 at 1:01 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanna

Sorry...I was going to read your article but I was stuck on: "Instead, like Rerun and his run-in with the Babarambaba cult, I found myself completely converted."

Next to the Doobie Brothers,this was my favorite episode and now I am forced to download and watch both episodes.

As for the actual article, I have heard of the website and NOT going to read it. My friend guessed about the flash fowards in the season finale and wrote and entire email about it before it aired. It DESTROYED the episode for me. On the off chance its close, I want to be surprised (or come up with the golden theory myself!).

March 26 2008 at 9:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brandon

Yeah....That was pretty ridiculous. For one, Locke temporarily lost his ability to walk while on the island. There was no explanation for it and this theory acts as though that never happened or couldn't happen. Second, Ben couldn't have been the one to set the island on a "time-loop", as the video explaining how to push the button every 108 minutes was made by Dharma and the Hanso Foundation.

Theory Destroyed.

March 26 2008 at 9:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Brandon's comment
Jake

You need to read the site Q and A, as he at least addresses the 108 minutes. And his theory could explain Locke's loss of walking ability in that if Locke would have gone up in the drug plane instead of Boone, Locke would have died, but fate had another purpose for him. Seriously, it's not the end all be all definitive theory, but it is very interesting.

March 26 2008 at 9:21 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

I like the theory. I hated "Flashes before your eyes" because the explanations were so lacking - the episode was essentially a movie that was cut short and it made me furious.

I like this theory. Sounds great and I would love it if this was actually the whole deal because it already makes me pretty content like I felt after watching Donny Darko for the second time when I understood the whole alternate timeline idea :-)

March 26 2008 at 7:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply