September 18, 2014

BSG star lands on Joss Whedon's new show

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 27th 2008 12:25PM
battlestar galactica; tahmoh penikettWith the final season of Battlestar Galactica starting up next week (sniff), the actors on that fabulous show need some new work. At least one of them has a pretty sweet gig set up: Tahmoh Penikett (aka 'Helo') has been cast on Joss Whedon's new pilot.

The pilot is called Dollhouse, and it already stars Eliza Dushku. The series is about four "dolls" who receive different personalities for each assignment (FBI, CIA? I dunno). Dushku's character begins to override the microchips that supposedly wipe out her memory and figures out who she is. Penikett will play an FBI agent who is obsessed with the Dollhouse myth and set on finding out the truth.

Other casting includes Fran Kranz (Welcome to the Captain), Australian actress Dichen Lachman and Enver Gjokaj (don't ask me how to pronounce that one). There are four more main parts that still need to be cast and I'm wondering if it's possible to find more actors with strange and unpronounceable names.

If you're wondering why you haven't heard about Dollhouse, it's probably because the news about it got lost in all the writer's strike mayhem. Just before the strike, 20th Century Fox Television gave a 7-episode order for Dollhouse. Wahoo!

Dazzler

From what I read and understood from before the Writer's Strike, wasn't it Eliza Dushku who had the development deal with Fox, and approached Whedon over lunch to nut out a few potential ideas - and "ollhouse"was result?

Surely this would not necessarily make "Dollhouse" a Joss Whedon production in the same way his previous shows have been? Is the show being made under a production company of Dushku's, or will we again be seeing the Mutant Enemy zombie?

March 27 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jun

The Inside was indeed awesome, but it wasn't Joss Whedon. That was a show from Tim Minear, who was involved with Angel and Firefly and will be at least a consulting producer on Dollhouse, last I read.

March 27 2008 at 4:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jun's comment
Argus

That's the thing, when it comes to Whedon, the stuff I really like is generally done by Minear (and Greenwalt was an excellent show runner on Angel.) Whedon did some consistently good stuff in the first three seasons of Buffy, but overall I consider him hit or miss. I'm quite worried about the idea of an FBI agent desperate to discover the truth, it sounds a bit cliched to me. The "loose cannon" isn't anything new.

This whole thing sounds like a new spin on "Anthem."

A pox on Ayn Rand and all her objectivist followers.

March 27 2008 at 10:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cander

Thats it. This show is hosed. 3 episodes max before cancelled. Too much geek love in it and too much potential for a good show. Fox doesn't like that combination.

March 27 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

C'mon Oreo, if it's better than 24 than it will be renewed. Oh wait...

March 27 2008 at 1:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Bash's comment
Oreo

HAHA

Prison Break is on season 4, 24 will have Jack fighting aliens from outer space soon, this show will most likely not make it past the first 13 episodes. Of course the only show of his I liked was Firefly so we shall see.

March 27 2008 at 1:47 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
rick cokely

While the premise of this show sounds great, I just can't get over the fact that its a Joss Whedon production. I know it's like screaming bloody murder on this board, but I really don't care for his "shows", if thats what you can call them. I thought Firefly was an abomination against all things Sci-Fi and Buffy was way off the mark for entertainment.

Maybe I'm just being cynical but I really can't stand his previous shows, but admitedly this show sounds great on paper and with him hiring BSG actors (YOU KNOW YOU NEED TO GIVE KATEE SACKOFF A GIG!) I might be tempted to at least give this show a try.

March 27 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to rick cokely's comment
maeh2k

I have really high hopes for the show, although Fox will probably axe it way too soon.

rick cokely, have you seen The Inside? I think that show was very good and had an enormous potential.
Also, I can't understand, how you could call Firefly and abomination...
I didn't like parts of it especially in the beginning and I though the western aspect wasn't the best of ideas, however it had some really amazing episodes toward the end of its season. Also Serenty was excellent.

March 27 2008 at 1:52 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

So he will be staring in the 3 episodes that are made before it's canceled?

March 27 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Steve Young

"ther casting includes Fran Kranz (Welcome to the Captain)"

does that pretty much mean WTTC isn't going to be renewed? haven't heard any news about it lately...

March 27 2008 at 1:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Charlie Conner

while I am THRILLED about this show and all the good news about the writers and actors coming on board, I also have to be VERY nervous. I mean come on...it will be on Fox!

So...when Fox does cancel it, will the Whedonites be sending in Barbie dolls to the network to save the show? Bratz dolls? I just want to be ready about which brand of dolls to buy...

March 27 2008 at 12:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply