April 24, 2014

Children of Men: The series

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 28th 2008 10:40AM
Children of MenSince it looks like Bionic Woman is not coming back to NBC, although nothing's been confirmed, the executive producer is moving on. David Eick is writing a pilot based on the Alfonso Cuarón film Children of Men for SciFi.

The film, brilliantly directed by the Mexican filmmaker, was a grim tale about the future -- England in 2027 -- where women have become completely infertile and the human race faces a major crises with less than a century to survive.

At the SciFi Channel's upfront, Eick said the proposed TV series would veer closer to the source material, P.D. James' novel. "It's really taking root more in the origins of the novels in that it will focus on the cultural movement in which young people become the society's utter focus."

Eick's version of Children of Men will also not star Clive Owen, Julianne Moore nor Michael Caine, who were all in the 2006 feature film. The TV Children of Men is going to question how society defines responsibility, freedom and a sense of values when it doesn't necessarily believe humans will survive as a species. "It's not really a war show like the movie was. It's more an exploration of that issue."

Eick is also preparing Caprica, a prequel to Battlestar Galactica for SciFi.

Alicia

On Sci-Fi.... anything is possible!

it may just be one of the new shows I will have to watch.

March 29 2008 at 11:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jez

I LOVVVVEE the movie! I hope if this continues, they do it justice.

March 28 2008 at 6:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott R

Ah, no, that was not a main theme in the book. Sure, it had some theme like that in there, but not main at all. Theo wanted the child born as much as anyone, and he was going to be there to protect the child (he baptizes him). In the movie, the baby is a girl, so if anything Cuarón made the film feminine.

Except for the beginning and end, the book was really boring. I loved the movie for making something of it. The book's discussion on the use of power in a dying world was interesting, but the plot was plodding and misguided for the most part.

The setting is the interesting part in both mediums, so I hope the series goes with that as a focus.

March 28 2008 at 4:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
C C

Children of Men will work as a series IF they base it more on the book than the movie. To be perfectly truthful, I did not like the film adaptation. P.D. James' novel was essentially "feminist" in how it showed a future world where the powers that be were more interested in control, even if the world ended on their watch, than really finding a cure for the infertillity. The "men" really didn't want to see children born. The novel ends with the implication that the "women" who did have power were going to protect the child that had just been born. Cuaron didn't transfer that main theme over to the movie; he made the film more masculine.

March 28 2008 at 2:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

Well, I'm not a fan of sci-fi and their miserly budgeting, but it could be worse. At least with sci-fi we should get at least a seasons worth before they cancel it. It could have gone to Fox... where we would get three to five episodes, shown in random order on random days of non sequential weeks.

March 28 2008 at 1:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Assuming Scifi spends a similar amount of money on Children of Men that they spent on Galactica, which is in no way a certain assumption, there shouldn't be a problem.

March 28 2008 at 1:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
3 replies to Joey Geraci's comment
Rex

"It's not really a war show like the movie was"

Maybe it's just me, but the movie wasn't really a "war" movie. The climax at the end of the movie was obviously a battle scene, but it still didn't fall into the "war" category in my opinion.

I haven't had the opportunity to read the book yet, but it is definitely on my list. I will most likely check out the show (especially if it is in HD), but have concerns about the usual SciFi production values. I hope it works, but my gut tells me not to get my hopes up.

March 28 2008 at 12:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Rex's comment
Lykan

Yep I also agree that it's not a war based Movie and I doubt the series will be. The problem in the movie arised when the population realized they had no future. So lots of gangs and revolted mobs started a "post apocalyptic" era in a Mad Max kind of way. As such the army had to patrol some cities and have battles with those factions. I liked the movie but it wasn't a favorite of the ones I've seen so far but I'm kind of curious about a series with this plot.

March 31 2008 at 6:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

And proofread next time...

"David Eick is writing a pilot based on the Alfonso Cuarón film Children of Men for SciFi."

""It's really taking root more in the origins of the novels..."

"Eick's version of Children of Men will also not star Clive Owen, Julianne Moore nor Michael Caine..."

So it's not based on the movie, it's based on the book.

March 28 2008 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

I always thought it was the men who couldn't have children, but they had to change it in the movie because you don't need men to have babies anymore.

And I hope the show is good, but some of his comments make me question if Eick can write or not. It seems Moore is the good one and Eick just is there.

March 28 2008 at 11:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
L.

I believe it's being said that the women are the infertile ones because (in the film at least) the inability to have children began with masses of pregnant women miscarrying and moved on to no more pregnancies occurring.

March 28 2008 at 11:23 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply