October 1, 2014

NBC's Jeff Zucker: Funny or no? - VIDEO

by Anna Johns, posted Mar 28th 2008 6:25PM
jeff zuckerNBC Universal CEO and president Jeff Zucker might be funny... or just a prick. He appears in a new promotional video to air on April 3rd before a new episode of My Name is Earl.

Zucker plugs NBC.com, where people can catch up on their favorite shows that are about to return after being on a long hiatus because of the strike. He includes what could be considered as digs toward writers, including asking viewers to watch the videos within the first 17 days of posting. The new WGA contract allows studios to stream content for 17 days before they have to pay writers royalties. Plus, there's a little dig at the writers when he's talking about My Name Is Earl-- how Earl gets hit by a car again in the cliffhanger. "Writers refer to it as a 'callback'. I call it getting paid twice for writing the same thing."

Okay, I have to admit that I chuckled. I don't think he's mocking the writers. I think he's mocking himself-- by acting as if he wants to keep as much money as possible from the writers. Unfortunately, Zucker's not the best guy on-camera, so his sarcasm could be lost on some.

What do you think?

Yaron

Definitely funny.
And it's incredibly obvious that this is intentional, written, and is supposed to be humor. I can't understand how anyone who watched this could have thought it was Jeff Zucker being honest and saying what he really thinks...

March 31 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Zucker is a douchebag.

The irony is that he didn't write the bit.

March 30 2008 at 7:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anon Imus

That WAS funny. Funny things were said, though not said in a funny way. If he were an actor, he'd be on a show, not running the company. I thought it was funny. What may be better in the future is to post the video ahead of your commentary, so as not to increase bias.

March 29 2008 at 3:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

I don't think he intended to be a prick, but he kinda comes across as one.

March 29 2008 at 10:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kickit

It really doesn't seem like he's mocking the writers or taking shots at them at all. I kind of doubt he even wrote that himself. It's just supposed to be funny, as well as bringing up the issue of the strike, showing that there are no hard feelings anymore. I doubt the network would want to piss anyone off again anyway. BTW I really liked the reference to Seinfeld -- "yada yada yada... remember that?". Haha.

March 28 2008 at 8:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eileen

Not. Funny.

March 28 2008 at 7:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Frank

I want to say "not funny" just because its Jeff Zucker and he has always struck me as a bit of a douche.

But honestly, it was pretty funny.
I could see some writers being pissed after an acrimonious strike, but the "inside" jokes about the "callback" and the 17 days truly seem good natured.

March 28 2008 at 7:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Frank's comment
sitruc

I'm used to seeing Zucker bashing on this site and was ready to hate myself, but as I read the post before watching the video I realized this was going to be good-natured. I watched the video. He's not a good actor, but the writing was pretty good and he got his part across. It was fun. It definitely wasn't meant to hurt writers and was more likely self-deprecating humor written by - writers.

March 28 2008 at 10:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matthew P. Christensen

Funny

March 28 2008 at 7:33 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jake

Nothing funny about NBC's ratings. Maybe if they didnt cancel a show after five years with no notice, or developed good comedies like they used to, they'd be a good network.

March 28 2008 at 7:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply