October 25, 2014

Simon Baker returns to CBS & Wheeler gets a greenlight

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 29th 2008 11:29AM
Simon BakerAs someone who was a regular watcher of The Guardian, it makes me happy to see that the star of that show is coming back to the home screens. Simon Baker will star in the CBS drama The Mentalist. The pilot has been given the go-ahead by the network, which mean Simon could be back on the schedule by next fall (if the show is picked up).

The Mentalist sounds like it should be something like a Kreskin extravaganza, but it's not. Instead it's described as the story of Patrick Jane, a man with heightened skills of observation who uses his talents to solve crimes.

Is it me or doesn't this sound like Monk? And the Jane Seymour TV movie that I blogged about the other day -- Dear Prudence, a Martha Stewart-type who uses her keen sense of observation to assist the police? I guess all of these deductive detective concepts go back to Sherlock Holmes, but what makes them rise -- or fall -- is the execution. That said, here's hoping The Mentalist is more eccentric and interesting than the description.

Also in The Mentalist are Owain Yeoman (Kitchen Confidential) and Amanda Righetti (K-Ville), Shaun Toub (who was in Smith with Baker), and Tim Kang (Third Watch).

Meanwhile, over at ABC, an ambitious pilot called Captain Cook's Extraordinary Atlas has been greenlit. The network says it's sort of a Harry Potter meets Pan's Labyrinth concoction. If that's the quality that they achieve, I'll sing "Hallelujah!" The plot revolves around a little girl who find a secret world beneath the human world. Tom Wheeler wrote the pilot and will be the executive producer. Wheeler previously tackled The World According to Barnes in 2007.

Carla

I agree with both Desdra and Lorraine. Just happy to see Simon Baker back in a TV series. Hope this show catches on and will be on air longer than Smith.

April 04 2008 at 10:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lorraine

I agree with Desda. Simon Baker was very interesting on "The Guardian". Owain Yeoman was a find on "The Nine". I'm going to give this show a try.

March 30 2008 at 1:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Desda

Personally, I don't care if it is similar to Psych or Monk (both shows I love by the way)...it has Simon Baker and Owain Yeoman....and that's enough to get me to watch.

March 30 2008 at 12:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bigwig

Actually it sounds similar to monk, or other shows, but to me it sounds dead on like Jonathan Creek

March 29 2008 at 10:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Brett2007

Yes I agree with others, sounds like a Psych rip-off to me.

March 29 2008 at 5:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

No thanks. Psych is my "extraordinary powers of observation show." I have no need of another one.

March 29 2008 at 2:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ThoMc

From the description of The Mentalist, the new show will really have to stretch the limits to outdo Psych. Now that ABC has scheduled Psych episodes even more viewers can enjoy the hip humor.

March 29 2008 at 12:06 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Quack

It should like a drama of Psych then Monk.

March 29 2008 at 11:37 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply