August 21, 2014

Battlestar Galactica season four: An early look

by Keith McDuffee, posted Mar 31st 2008 12:20AM
battlestar galactica last supperFor some time now, at least some members of the press and other media outlets have had an early copy of the fourth season premiere of Battlestar Galactica. This season, however, Sci Fi has made everyone sign and adhere to an embargo agreement, making us keep our traps shut about anything at all to do with the screener until today.

I'm not going to reveal what I consider spoilers here, though I will warn you that I will discuss some key plot points below. Consider yourself warned.

Firstly I will say that fans clearly won't be disappointed with the episode, though it may bother some in how they split it into two parts. According to the screener, this episode is titled 'He That Believeth in Me' -- I wonder if using "that" rather than "who" is purposeful.

Here's a quick bullet list of things to expect from the episode:

• When last we left the series, Lee (and we) saw what we thought was impossible -- Starbuck is alive. Not only that, but the Cylons are all over the Galactica's business. And we pick right up from there, that very second.
  • There's a lot of discussion aboard the Galactica as to the condition of Starbuck's Viper, both inside and out. The speculations among fans will fly from this for sure.
  • Starbuck's return is obviously not settling quite well with the rest of the crew. She goes over all of the possibilities herself, what she is, who she is.
  • Early on there's an amazing scene with Tigh in the CIC. You'll certainly know it when you see it.
  • During the battle early on, Anders has a close moment with a Cylon Raider, one that will give you chills and which leaves us with no doubts about certain aspects of his character.
  • We see what I saw on my set visit, the shrine to Baltar. Life's good for Baltar, that much is clear.
  • To everyone else, Starbuck was gone for months, though that's not how she's perceived it.
  • Opening credits show the population at 39,698.
  • We're not allowed to mention the final fifteen minutes of the episode at all.
Battlestar Galactica season four premieres this Friday on Sci Fi.

cineribus

All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again. Humans , in the battlestar world, have lived in cycles. They were thrust from Kobol, and settled in the 12 colonies. Caprica, Gemenon, Aralon, Tauron, etc. In the episode "Home," while standing on the surface of Earth and looking at the constellations of those colonies, Roslin calls them by their "ancient" names; Capricorn, Gemini, Aries, Taurus, etc. If we assume that this episode was written with the end-game of the series in mind, which we should because these folks almost always have the end-game in mind, we might be able to assume that this is happening in our future. We left earth, found Kobol, left Kobol, found colonies, left Colonies to return to earth. What we find when we get there though... The cylon homeworld? Were the cylons the 13th tribe?

April 02 2008 at 9:37 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
numbrunner

I just can't see it as the foundation of Our civilization. So all the black people inhabited africa and asian looking people inhabited asia with gaita and tory running hand in hand for the asian sub continent. No this is either not our universe or this happens long after current earth.

April 01 2008 at 4:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Stu

So I've been kicking this around in my head about the un-named Cylon. I don't recall what episode it was, but Kyra was interrogating a captured Cylon aboard Galactica. Towards the end of this encounter the President comes in and talks to him about the nuclear warhead. The Cylon whispers to her that Adama is a Cylon, thus causing paranoia etc, etc, What if, the Adama he was referring to was the one Adama we have not seen. The son, the brother, the ex, the deceased Adama. Just a thought...

March 31 2008 at 11:38 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Stu's comment
Franklin

Hmmm, good catch. Does anybody know what was the line Leoben said to Roslyn? Was it exactly: "Adama is a Cylon"? If he did not refer to "Adama" by the first name at all, then he could have been referring to either Lee or his deceased brother.

April 01 2008 at 4:07 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

"Early on there's an amazing scene with Tigh in the CIC. You'll certainly know it when you see it."

Yeah they showed that on the commercials.

March 31 2008 at 1:05 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rob

I am so frustrated!!! I wait however long it's been and now, just when it's coming back, I have to leave for a month long trip to Egypt. I wonder how the internet connection is over there. Does Sci-Fi post BSG shows on their site? Thank the gods for DVR's.

March 31 2008 at 12:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

Can't wait!! There are so much pent up expectations for this season that I worry that all will be disappointed in some way. It has to be perfect to live up in my eyes!

March 31 2008 at 9:53 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Josh

So I think Galactica and the the cylons make it to earth by the end of the show, but earth is not populated. Its an empty world and somehow the cylons and the humans make a truce and start a new life and we basically get Adam and Eve and all of our culture is based on them. A great last shot of the last episode would be present day and people finding the remains of a viper.

March 31 2008 at 9:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Josh's comment
DaveTehWave

That would be too 'Hollywood' of an ending.
I'm sure the writers will leave us speechless and wanting more.

March 31 2008 at 1:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Lykan

I can't wait for this premier!! It has been so long since the end of last season that feels like I will have to review some of the Season 3 episodes.
About the 4th Cylon her name is Tory Foster and she's the presidents' aide since Season 2.
About the 5th Cylon I have no clue but at some moments I thought it was Adama itself.

March 31 2008 at 5:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

Re: The Fifth and Final Cylon

Supposedly, the cast now know who the Final Cylon is, and most of them were surprised. Possibilities (in no particular order):

1. Zarek. He was a terrorist in his younger years. (This would tie in with the fact that the four Cylons aboard Galactica were leaders of the resistance on New Caprica.)

2. Billy. This could be considered a "surprise" -- to have this actor reappear for the last remaining episodes.

3. Lee. Yes, Lee Adama has a father, Bill Adama. But maybe some contrived situation happened to young Bill Adama which involved the Cylons taking his DNA to create Lee(s?). This could possibly start to tie in with the flashbacks of young Bill we were shown in BSG: Razor. So we might be seeing more flashbacks in Season 4.

March 31 2008 at 3:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Franklin's comment
bsgfan2003

I am quite interested in finding out more about Kara's father. We know he was a pianist. Did she know him? If not:
What if Kara is the first hybrid, not Hera?
Can Tigh play a mean piano?
I know it sounds insane, but I'm having lots of fun with crazy theories in anticipation of the final season ;)

March 31 2008 at 11:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
numbrunner

Zarek sounds like a good choice(plus in a way it would tie together the old series and the new in a rather elegant way(rebirth of humanity and the evolution from cylon/human breeding). I can't believe Lee Adama is the 5th since he was in the Last supper picture. He was, however, sitting in the same seat that Judas sat in in Davinci's painting. I don't think the 5th will be anyone who has been resurrected yet either (yes is would be a shocker, but none of the others has died).

To Franklin: Leoben was full of shit when he told her that. Frankly (no pun intended) I think he could tell that she was going to kill him and it seemed like he knew it was coming (see how he looked around at his surroundings and smirked. It was as much as she had seen it in her visions) and he said that just to screw with her. I think he wanted her to mistrust him or prolong her unease with him so she'd go to Kobol for the Tomb of Athena.

My only pure source of confusion at this point is who or what is the 13th person/cylon? There has to be one as they clearly noted that the "Temple of the 5" were disciples of the one who isn't named or some kind of heretic god?!?!?! I'd guess Baltar and he is either the human prophet of the 13th god, or he's the character that will help to rip the Cylon factions apart. (you saw him appear in 6's head last season).

April 01 2008 at 4:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
xnifex

the 4 are Saul Tigh, Anders, Chief Turol, & the president's aide (forgot her name)

March 31 2008 at 3:16 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply