April 18, 2014

Knight Rider series officially a go

by Allison Waldman, posted Mar 31st 2008 4:41PM
Knight Rider partyWell, here's hoping that the powers that be were reading TV Squad after the two-hour Knight Rider movie premiered last February. Then, at least they'll know how to fix the show, because NBC has picked up Knight Rider as a series for the 2008-2009 schedule, and it's going to need some re-tooling.

That's the phrase they love to use in the business to describe all the work that's needed to turn a turkey -- albeit one with great ratings -- into a successful series. And Knight Rider, as conceived in that TV movie/back door pilot, needs some major work.

Justin Bruening, who was perfectly fine as Jamie Martin on All My Children, has to do more than just look good behind the wheel. This isn't Hamlet, granted, but he has to make the character intrinsically more appealing that just another pretty face.

According to Variety, NBC has decided to stock pile the new lineup -- which they're announcing on Wednesday before any other broadcast network -- with action and fantasy. They've been greenlighting pilots about Robinson Crusoe and Kings, and now the news that Doug Liman's Knight Rider is a definite and may be filling a Friday night timeslot. Well, since Las Vegas is gone, that's an opening although if KR remains as shallow as the TV movie, it may be deemed an eight o'clock show. Time -- and timeslots -- will tell.

Tom

Didn't see the season premiere reviewed here, so wasn't sure where I could say this, but it had to be said.

"This show sucks and I can't believe they would revive this to come up with this kind of crap."

There. The movie was dull, but the "new direction" they've taken with the series is the wrong direction. They've Joel Schumacher-ed it, if you know what I mean, when they should have Ronald D. Moore-d it, or Christopher Nolan-ed it.

My vote for worst new "attempt at watchable tv, though unsuccessful" and hopefully one of the quickest cancels in history of television.

September 29 2008 at 3:15 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

I saw this on Autoblog and tried to convince myself this was an April Fools Day joke.

April 01 2008 at 10:49 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jackhandy

I still haven't seen the movie yet- more because Will Arnett was replaced as the voice of KITT than any other reason, but I also keep reading reviews saying in just wasn't good. Get Will Arnett back on board and I'd at least watch one episode. Besides, think of all the practice he's had saying "Michael"!

March 31 2008 at 6:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jackhandy's comment
slybri

They canceled Journeyman and they pick up this garbage? I loved the orginal KR when I was a kid but this reboot is nothing more than an extended commercial for FORD.

March 31 2008 at 7:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Darren

I hope they get a new voice for KITT - the one in the movie sucked BIG TIME

March 31 2008 at 5:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CJ

Ug. The biggest thing they messed up with this show (among many) is the stupid "nano-tech" angle. That's such a cop-out sci-fi angle... So what's stopping the car from growing wings, turning into a boat or two motorcycles... Oh, nevermind, I guess they did that already... http://www.teamknightrider.com/cast/plato/plato.html

March 31 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joey Geraci

if Knight Rider replaces Friday Night Lights on Fridays, I think I might have to personally murder the head of programming at NBC.

Just warning him, whoever he is, that his life is on the line!

March 31 2008 at 5:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
robert

great... 1 hour ford commercials every friday night.
just what we needed.