July 28, 2014

Medium: Wicked Game (part 2) - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 1st 2008 8:01AM

Farewell, Cynthia(S04E10) I suppose one of the drawbacks of a suspenseful show like Medium doing a two parter is that while waiting a week for the second part, most viewers will have come close to figuring out what's going on. In this case, I wasn't too concerned with figuring out why Suzie Keener's roommate wasn't dead until I was stuck in traffic today and started thinking about reviewing the show tonight. Moreover, the previews made it pretty clear that Joanna was the mastermind of the entire abduction.

Luckily, this was all made clear in the first fifteen minutes of the show. What followed was my favorite kind of episode. The kind where we, the audience, know exactly what happened, and we get to watch the hero snare the guilty party. It was like watching a pretty version of Columbo.

In a world where TV kids are too often irritatingly sweet, Maria Lark is a pleasure to watch. As a parent of a nine year old, I am amazed at how she perfectly plays her role with believability and character. I know it's been mentioned many times by me and by other fans of the show but regardless of how compelling Allison's latest vision is, it's the other members of the Dubois family that I watch the show for. In fact, when Bridgette told Joe about her dream, I stopped caring about the psychotic girl and only wanted to see Joe get his hands on some solar energy moolah.

I was really going to try and get through this review without mentioning Anjelica Huston, but It's just impossible. First, let me say that I think Ms. Huston is a brilliant actress and a very elegant woman. However, her character on this show is annoying, unattractive and unbelievable. Do the producers purposely put her in unflattering clothes? Was it a choice to give her a the worst haircut possible and do they insist on keeping her time in the makeup chair at a minimum? I really hope so. Each week, I hold on to the expectation that her character will prove to be more than a two-dimensional foil for Allison and each week I am disappointed. The only thing worse than seeing Huston play the same record every week is seeing Allison make her deer in the headlights face while lurking behind her.

To make matters worse, after all the berating Allison has had to take from Cynthia, it's Allison who ends up apologizing. I suppose that's a big part of what makes Joe's dilemma so important. From his perspective, if Allison hadn't used her "talent" to get a job with Devalos, they would still be a happy family with him designing rockets and her going to law school. However, he knew he had to stand by her like a good husband should, especially after they ended up losing so much. Now, Joe has an opportunity to make a new life for his family and Allison doesn't believe in him enough to let him do it. We can all understand why she's hesitant, but, in my opinion, if you can't trust your partner 100% then why bother being married?

Regardless of the problems I had with this episode, I must admit that the last fifteen minutes were brilliant. Bridgette pointing out the white-haired man had me dying to know who he was and knowing that the blonde psycho killed her ex-boyfriend gave me hope that the ending would be unexpected. Once I saw Joe in the hospital, I expected to see the white-haired man show up with a check for his broken wrist, so that wasn't a big surprise but it was certainly pleasant. However, there is no way I would have expected Cynthia to exact revenge on her daughter's killer. Seeing her sitting on the steps with nothing left to give was extremely powerful and now that Cynthia is leaving the show, I almost feel bad for the mean things I said about her character...almost.

Will you miss Cynthia?
Yes160 (59.0%)
No111 (41.0%)

Will

Funny, this is one show where I always seem to predict correctly what will happen. Halfway thru it, I was expecting her to go & kill the blond psycho. Doesn't happen much on other shows, but it does on Medium. I still enjoy the show a lot & I hope it gets renewed. I wish the syndicated shows were on more often, they only seem to be every once in a while & always at such odd times ( 11PM Sunday night. What the hell is that?).

April 03 2008 at 5:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Morjana Coffman

"Medium" is fantastic. I really enjoy the episodes, and love the cast, especially Joe and Bridgette, and the Alison/Joe relationship.

As soon as I saw the custodian in the bank mopping the floor, I knew that Joe would have a slip and fall, and that the money would come from that injury.

I also enjoyed Angelica's performances, but, I'm glad that story arc is over, and hoping that Medium will return with a fifth season with even more surprises.

Morjana

April 02 2008 at 12:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Taylor

The song is Alicia Keys' "The Thing About Love" off of As I Am.

I definetely recommend buying the whole album.

April 01 2008 at 1:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sanna

So I figure this was the wrap-up of Angelica Houstons guest starring but technically what would happen to her (character)? I'm not to familiar with US law but she just brutally murdered someone. I mean in the eyes of the law there is no evidence that Joanna actually was responsible for Suzies death nor her accomplices and who knows how many more - I assumed she murdered and staged the suicide of Connolly too. All she had was Allisons visions of what happened and I doubt that would hold in court but maybe give some leniency (sp?). Not that it really seemed to matter to Cynthia cos in her mind she did the "right thing" - they had no evidence and were probably never going to get any. Anyways, really liked the episode.

April 01 2008 at 10:17 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ggrrl

I guess that I am in the minority, but I really liked Angelica Huston and her character. Sure, the character wasn't particularly likeable, per se, but she was powerful. And in the first episode where the character appeared, she explained her background as a nun, which, to me, explained the sorry getups and stern demeanor. I thought that Ms. Huston gave what would have been a two dimensional role in another actresses' hands real depth. She was at times annoying, but ultimately proved to be quite vulnerable. As for the ending of this two parter, I never saw it coming, but I always knew that the character was capable of such an act. I will miss the character, but she went out in a strong way.

April 01 2008 at 9:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

"However, there is no way I would have expected Cynthia to exact revenge on her daughter's killer. "

Funny. I told my wife that if it was me and she killed my daughter I'd go and kill Joanna and I assumed that's what Cynthia would do.

April 01 2008 at 9:12 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Annie

I loved this episode. Adore Joe & will not miss Houston. And I'm praying that there is a 5th season.

April 01 2008 at 8:31 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
barb

Does anyone know who the artist of the song played in this episode was? It was a beautiful tune, Alica Keys maybe?

Thankyou