October 25, 2014

New Amsterdam: Legacy - VIDEO

by Paul Goebel, posted Apr 1st 2008 9:02AM

Alexie Gilmore(S01E06) Nice to see a little more personal information about the other characters. I was curious when we would get to meet the famous Eddie Marquez. Nestor Serrano is one of my favorite character actors and he's a good choice for the role. My only worry is that Eva's "Papa Don't Preach" routine is already wearing thin.

Not that you can really blame her for being so pissed off all the time. In this episode alone, there were numerous occasions where John worked the case by himself. If I found out my partner was more willing to discuss the case with his dog than with me, I'd be pretty bent out of shape about it too.

When John was pleading his case to Dr. Sarah over the phone, I wondered if he was more concerned with finding his "true love" or if he has started falling for her. I, honestly, think that someone who had lived most of his life in New York for 400 years would be a little jaded and therefore less concerned with having a relationship. That begs the question, how does John find so many women who are so willing to understand his situation?

Since last week's episode showed us what a sad drunk John was, it seems to make more sense that he was a real douchebag in his more distant past. His speech to his son about the connection we make through art was so weak, it was clearly just an attempt to excuse his pedantic rants and ignore his crappy parenting. Is it any wonder that he has such strong feelings about the dead kid?

Did my eyes deceive me or has Giancarlo Esposito actually deigned to return to television as another cop? I'm a big fan of Esposito's, I remember once I saw him in my neighborhood and I took the time to tell him how much I liked him on Homicide. He seemed really grateful for the compliment, which made me me feel kind of bad considering it wasn't true. As soon as his character showed up, I realized what this show was missing. The requisite federal cop who knows something is strange about John and is determined to find out. The Sarah Conner Chronicles has Richard T. Jones, Journeyman had Paul Schulze, so now New Amsterdam has Agent Lawson.

Watching this show is like dating a girl I can't break up with. I'm really interested in John's past and all the different lives he's led but the cop stories are so formulaic they make me want to turn the channel. Do we really need to see John and Eva getting ignored in Chinatown? They might as well have used a script from an old episode of NYPD Blue.

While we're discussing clichéd cop show elements, I have revisited my thinking about the new Sergeant. While she's easy on the eyes, her character is too underdeveloped to be so irritating.

Is it just me or did the evidence that John is related to the crime family come a little too easily? He makes a visit to the family brewery and voilà! There's his painting on the wall along with an explanation from his descendant and John didn't react at all. If he was so sure that he was related to these guys, why did he make such a fuss researching it? These are the kinds of inconsistencies that make the show tough to watch.

By the end of the episode, I really couldn't care about the police story and I was barely interested in the rest of the show. If Alexie Gilmore hadn't shown up again, I probably would have dozed off.

Should Giancarlo Esposito be a recurring?
Yes78 (62.4%)
No47 (37.6%)

Manda

My brother is the spitting image of my maternal great grandfather. Tis' freaky. But it does happen.

April 03 2008 at 11:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bash

Mark it seems the guy has a talent for arts/crafting. I think it isn't that far-fetched though I think it's annoying that they already had to make him excel in two things that are hard to excel in within six episodes. Makes you wonder where they can go from here.

Maybe they should watch a few seasons of "Highlander"...

April 01 2008 at 11:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mark

One of my main complaints about the show is his seeming renaissance talent; doctor, artist, cop, etc. I know that I could study art for 75 years and I still wouldn't be in the Armory show.

April 01 2008 at 7:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jables

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Sarah. She steals every scene she's in. Not so much for her acting prowess, but rather the fact that 90% of her body mass is forehead. That is amazing to me.

April 01 2008 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Jables's comment
Bebop

I couldn't agree more. I have the same problem watching Elizabeth Reaser on Grey's Anatomy, most of the time they can't get the top of her head into the frame.

April 02 2008 at 1:04 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
h8rain

The inconstancies of this make me miss Journeyman even more. I hope they fix the present "time" issues (boring.....), because the past is so much more intriguing.

April 01 2008 at 11:08 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tracey

There were a number of things about the crime family connection that had me scratching my head here:
1) If John/Dutch's wife left him over this affair with the model, why did she take the portrait of the model and keep it as a family heirloom?
2) Why does John/Dutch's grandson speak Dutch? And speak English with what sounds like a Dutch accent? What, when the mother and son left, they moved to the Netherlands?
3) How old was this crime boss supposed to be when he got into organized crime during the Depression? The family broke up in 1913, when his father was 17 years old; the Depression started in 1929 and ended no later than 1939, meaning that he was *at most* 25 when the depression *ended*. Or was the Depression just an excuse? Or perhaps he was talking about some other Depression?
4) Yeah, OK, so dead Alex is John's great-great-grandson and looks an awful lot like his son. Cliched much? Nobody looks that much like their parents let alone their great-grandparents, but that cliche crops up all the time. See Back to the Future III (Marty looks just like immigrant great-grandfather), Brady Bunch (Jan is a dead-ringer for great-aunt), etc.
5) The show has absolutely no acknowledgement whatsoever that dead Piers and double-murderer Nicholas are *also* John's great-great-grandsons. They are, after all, Alex's brothers.

I don't know why I like this show; so many things in it aggravate me, and yet I keep coming back.

April 01 2008 at 9:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tracey's comment
jesjem

1. I did not think the wife took the portrait, I got the impression that Theo bought the painting at a later date.
2. Although I have no idea, I would guess that "Dutch" was a nickname based on John's story back then that he was Dutch. The grandson learned dutch as part of the family history. A stretch I know.
3. Theo said he made some bad decisions or choices during the depression. Even if he was only 13 -15 in 1930, he was still capable of making bad the decisions that ended up with him being a part of organized crime. In fact in most of the gangster stories/histories that I have read, the person became involved with crime and crime families in his teens.
4. Growing up, my sister resembled my mother, now she looks exactly like my mother use to look. My son looks almost exactly like my father looked as a boy. It is not that unusual.
5. John acknowledged that Nicholas was family.

That said, I too have been bothered by some of the inconsistencies and yet I keep watching. I do not real think of this as a cop show but more of a sci-fi show.

April 01 2008 at 2:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply