American Idol: Top 8 Revealed

by Jason Hughes, posted Apr 2nd 2008 8:45PM
dolly parton(S07E27) Was Dolly's appearance as big as we all hoped? Are this year's mentors hit or miss? Did anyone do a great job last night? And most importanly, who's going home? Tonight's live chat of the American Idol results show will start shortly before 9pm ET. Check out the Ford commercial and see if Dolly's still got it herself as a performer (my guess is yes).. And see if America got it right ... or if Kristy Lee is still alive ... again.

You can join the chat by following this link. Look for the full episode review right here later tonight.

Gallery: AI '08 Top 12

Brooke Top 12Carly Top 12David A Top 12David C Top 12Jason Top 12Kristy Top 12Syesha Top 12Brooke Top 12 - 2Carly Top 12 - 2David A Top 12 - 2David C Top 12Jason Top 12 - 2Kristy Top 12Syesha Top 12David Top 12David Top 12 - 2Amanda Top 12Amanda Top 12 - 2Chikezie Top 12Chikezie Top 12 - 2Ramiele Top 12Ramiele Top 12 - 2Michael Top 12Michael Top 12 - 2

So they saved "9 to 5" for the awful group number? That's just ... great. I think I saw this routine on the Teletubbies a few years back. I think Jason Castro had Tinky Winky's part. And then they went into the crowd to sit by the judges and make all three feel incredibly self-conscious and uncomfortable. Isn't that great TV? At least Chikezie looked like he was enjoying it in the audience ... I miss Chikezie. Can America vote to put him back in the running and remove someone else?

ON THE AIR WITH AMERICAN IDOL
Syesha: "What do you miss most about home?" Being able to hang out with friends and family, but American Idol is my family now. Wow, that was riveting. This is the best segment on television ... ever!

David C.: "If you could succeed at any other talent what would it be and why?" He wishes he was more organized. I think the question was more about a vocation than a trait.

Randy: "Is there anyone you haven't worked with?" He'd love to do a song with whoever wins American Idol, but he wouldn't narrow it down beyond that.

Michael: "Is there a song you hope to sing on the tour this summer?" (the screen showed a question for Simon asking if he had a book of insults he used--the wonders of live television). The answer is "No."

Simon: "Why do you feel it necessary to apologize after a negative critique?" Wow, a real question. Good job, Mary! He said he liked her and that he would never do it again.

The moral of the story is that this is still crap TV.

FORD COMMERCIAL - "It's Tricky"
That's right, for this week's Ford commercial they had the Idols rapping. And to cement the stereotype they also had them playing basketball with shirtless black guys on the "hard streets" of a city. This just proves that Idol and Ford's marketing department are just as lame as you thought they were.

IDOLS IN NASHVILLE
Several American Idols have transplanted to Nashville. Season Five's Bucky Covington was the first one we checked in with. He recorded an album that lead to two singles for him. I always liked Bucky's sound and the singles I've heard sound good, too. He's got a great sound for country music. Next we got updated on last year's bald wonder, Phil Stacey. He has an album of his own coming out April 29th of this year, with a single and video just released now in promotion of it. I haven't heard any of this yet, but always thought Phil was a better singer than what he gave on the show.

Finally, Season Four runner-up Bo Bice told us about his extensive surgeries and medical issues. Since then he's started his own record label and put out his second album, See the Light, this past October. The new album took him back to his southern rock roots. But his biggest and proudest achievement is being a father. So Idol stays true to their word and fills us in on some more past contestants. They're just trying to beat me to the punch, as I do this every week on my 'AI Aftermath' posts. Sneaky bastards!

IDOL GIVES BACK
This week we got a touching story of two sisters reunited. The two-and-a-half hour star-studded extravaganza is next Wednesday night, starting at 7:30/6:30pm Central.

THE CLARK BROTHERS - "This Little Light of Mine"
The first of two performances this week, these guys are the winners of The Next Great American Band, the Idol summer variation that sought bands instead of solo artists. I tried to listen to them and see if I could enjoy them because I didn't watch that show but I couldn't get past the two little clumps of bangs hanging right in the eyes of the lead singer. I think his name is "Something" Clark. In all honesty, I wasn't blown away by the twist they put on this song, though it had its moments.

DOLLY PARTON - "Jesus and Gravity"
How can you not like Dolly, she's just such a bubble of sunshine and joy. It's just unfortunate that she appears to have gone under the knife a few too many times because Dolly is so beloved that we would have loved her looking her age, too. And I have to say, this is another good song by Dolly. And despite a somewhat rough start, I think she pulled it off well in the end. By the end, I felt like I was in a good old-fashioned spiritual revival. Was that Jordin Sparks and Tamyra Gray in the audience? I think it was.

BUILDING YOUR BOTTOM THREE
"What have you done?" Well, you sent Michael Johns to safety, followed by David Archuleta and a very relieved Carly Smithson. That left six people waiting in the wings, knowing that half of them weren't safe. But then we had to wait some more because it was time for the awkward "On the Air with American Idol."

When we got back to the eliminations, Ryan brought out David Cook who again had to explain himself. This time it was for his hospital visit the prior night due to his high blood pressure. He'll be keeping an eye on it next week as he was safe, too. But you weren't as kind to Ramiele Malubay as she was the first to make it into the Bottom Three. Kristy Lee Cook brought out a note with her name on it preparing to be in the Bottom Three, which was the right thing to do.

For the final three contestants, you put Syesha Mercado to safety and left Brooke White and Jason Castro to face the music together. In the end, after Simon apologized to everyone in the studio, Brooke was left to face the firing squad with Ramiele and Kristy. Ramiele said "You guys are so tall," about the other two as they literally towered around her. I think she could have tucked her head into either one of their armpits.

GOING HOME
Ramiele Malubay was Randy's pick to go while Simon would only say that he felt Brooke was safe. Paula would have said they were all beautiful and talented and that this would be the beginning of their careers so Ryan talked to Bottom Three first-timer Brooke instead who got weepy and sentimental. Then, he sent her to safety.

Down to Ramiele and Kristy, it was the end of the road for Ramiele. And when she hugged Kristy her face was buried in Kristy's chest; do you think that was akward for her? Ramiele was an early favorite who failed week after week to find that breakout song and have that breakout performance. Her voice is so much better than she was ever able to give us. Personally, I hope someone can get a hold of her and groom her into the amazing talent she has the potential to be.

MY PICKS
This week, Kristy finally made the Bottom Three, and along with Ramiele gave me two out of three right. I thought Jason would join them, but America dropped Brooke down there instead. And I made it two weeks in a row predicting the elimination of the little singer with the big voice. That raises my season total to 7-9.

YOUR PICKS
You guys put Jason and Syesha down there with Brooke, so it wasn't as good a week for you in that regard as you only got one of the Bottom Three right. And then you got it way wrong thinking Syesha would be the one to go, thus dropping you to 11-5 on the year.

Who should have been cut instead?
Michael Johns13 (0.5%)
David Archuleta42 (1.7%)
Carly Smithson28 (1.1%)
David Cook20 (0.8%)
Syesha Mercado79 (3.2%)
Jason Castro186 (7.5%)
Brooke White50 (2.0%)
Kristy Lee Cook684 (27.6%)
No, Ramiele Malubay was the right choice1372 (55.5%)

Mylyn Chuo

I like both Brooke and Jason. Both of them maintain a connection with the audience. I agree with Paula, they're both definitive especially Jason. Brooke's performance this week was not that fantastic but good enough to be listened to.

I don't hate tatoos either; I just feel uncomfortable having a tattooed girl win a respectable competition. Sorry Carly.

April 10 2008 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Monique

I would be happy with either David A. or David C. winning (although I adore David C. more). I know most people like Brooke, but I don't think she's all that talented a singer. I think she "dummie downs" her arrangements b/c she doesn't have any range. Maybe I'm wrong but hopefully being in the bottom three this week will make her re-evaluate the "cutsie" game she plays and she'll wow us with a great performance. Carly, though lacking "style" has a much better voice.

April 03 2008 at 5:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sandy

It's really time for Brooke to leave, it's the
same sound every week. Idol is very questionable.
Dolly was great last night I loved what she said to
Ryan "I've got Jesus, you've got Simon!!!!

April 03 2008 at 3:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Scott

eugene's boycotting because Jason is still in the competition. ooooooh... I'll bet the folks at Fox are shaking in their boots. LOL

April 03 2008 at 2:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dan

The Ford ad pissed me off...it was rascist and simply stupid. Those marketing execs have never been near a pickup court and probably never near a black man without a Harvard degree...simply awful. As for the elimination, while Kristy Lee (and David A.) should have been gone already, Ramiele really didn't deserve to be in the competition anymore and wont be missed. Sure, she was cute, but she had yet to give a decent performance. Even Kristy Lee has had a good performance.

April 03 2008 at 2:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Kim

Ramiele has a great voice but hasn't found a performance style that works for her. I wasn't surprised to see her go but I still think she's better than Kristi Lee. Hopefully, next week we'll see the last of her.

I was very happy to see that Sayesha was not eliminated as I had wrongfully predicted. She really does have a great voice although I do not believe that she will win the competition. She too has a performance problem.

Both Brooke and Jason had better beware. They are similar folksy performers whose novelty is beginning to wear off. As they are not the best vocalists in the competition, they need to choose songs with maximum impact or they'll be gone.

April 03 2008 at 10:56 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Bv

David A. Michael and David C.

April 03 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joanie

When you get down to this level of competition, it's kind of hard to see any of the contestants go. Heck, my hubby is a seasoned (50+ years in the biz) musician and HE gets teary eyed whenever someone is eliminated. They're all good - each in their own way/genre - even Kristy. Thing is they've all got to be on top of their game every week in order to stay in the competition.

Gotta admit I loved the way Carly looked last night. Usually when they'd do a closeup, all I could focus on was that right shoulder tat, and she is one of my favorites this year. Last night I noticed just how lovely she really is. Nice to not have that distraction, and before people start whining - I have nothing against tattoos. My son has 7, but he doesn't look like a walking billboard for his cousin's shop.

April 03 2008 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
S John Massoud

Yes it was time for Ramiele to go. She wasn't a bad singer, just not as good as the others. Now it gets tough because with the exception of Kristy Lee Cook, any of the others are good enough to win.

I am still pulling for Brooke so we shall see.

Oh and is it just me, or does Ryan seem to get his sexual thrills telling people they've been voted off? People call Simon a horses a00, but he doesn't seem to smile when he tells someone that they suck.

Ryan does.

Now I've seen it posted 10,000 times about him but never really paid attention to it. Is he that big a loser that he gets his sexual jollies telling people their end has come?

He'd have been good about 500 years ago in the Spanish Inquisition.

April 03 2008 at 6:29 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

You got it right, America! A few weeks too late, mind you, but right nonetheless.

Next up: Stoner Boy or Tattoo Freak.

April 03 2008 at 6:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Jim's comment
Dan

I take it you're some kind of wonderbread American type who wants David Archuleta or Kristy Lee Cook to win, eh? Bob Marley, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Steven Tyler, Neil Young, etc. all had tattoos and smoked weed, and they are clearly the best musicians in post-1950s music. I think the Tattoos are one of the few things that I like about her because it shows that she's not just another cookie-cutter shallow girl trying to be a model-actress-singer like Syesha or 95% of the girls who try out. Stoner boy is also "Good Christian Boy", but I bet you'll overlook that because of the negative propaganda associated with marijuana...David Cook sold the most dangerous drug in America (alcohol) and nobody said a word about that...

April 03 2008 at 2:56 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

A couple of notes for you, Dan:

1. To compare Jason Castro to Eric Clapton and Neil Young is laughable! (Maybe you are smoking a little too much yourself.)

2. You were the first one I can remember mentioning Jason's weed habit. A few weeks ago, you wrote, "The one thing I think might hurt him is his lack of power behind his voice and I think that it might have something to do with him being a stoner. He sounds and looks like he smokes weed, and I am not just saying that because of his dreds. He's very mellow, sounds just like a stoner, has short breaths which would indicate a smoker's lungs, and his eyes were very glassy and red."

3. Re: your comment No. 13: Kristy Lee didn't ruin Eight Days A Week; the band did. Her arrangement was actually pretty catchy, but the band sabotaged her. If you want to get on someone for butchering a Beatles song, look no further than Taylor Hicks ruining A Day In The Life on last year's finale.

April 03 2008 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply