October 31, 2014

I'm sick of everyone crying on The Biggest Loser

by Jonathan Toomey, posted Apr 2nd 2008 3:01PM

Mark and Jay KrugerBecause what I'm about to write may come across as sounding harsh and insensitive, let me preface all of this by saying that I love The Biggest Loser and have nothing but the utmost respect for the contestants and what they go through on the show.

In a world saturated with reality shows, The Biggest Loser is one of the few that still comes across as "real." You can't script a 100lb. weight loss.

With that out of the way, let me get to the point: I've had enough of these whiners doing nothing but hug each other and cry. The biggest culprits? The brothers, Mark and Jay. If tears contained calories, these two men would be skin and bones.

Is being a contestant on the show an emotional roller-coaster ride? Absolutely, 100% yes. You're talkin' excessively obese people with no real exercise habits being thrown into a situation where their bodies are completely pushed to the limit for hours a day, week after week. They lose weight at levels that, while monitored by a doctor and deemed healthy, still at times seem to be higher than average. Add in the wrinkle that this season started with couples, be it family or friends, and it'd be weird if people weren't crying. Mark and Jay have taken it to a new level though.

They blubber over everything. Challenges won. Challenges lost. Weight lost. Weight gained. If you recall, Mark was ousted a few weeks ago and by virtue of a twist, was allowed to return. They cried when he left. They cried when he came back. They hug Bob the trainer and cry. They hug fellow contestants and cry. Last night, they both fell below the line and cried. Jay took the hit, returning the favor to his brother Mark, and he was voted out; they cried. Do tears grow facial hair? 'Cause at some point, Mark's beard flowered out of nowhere too. Again, is what they're going through emotional? Certainly, but this has gotten excessive.

Now normally this wouldn't bug me, but here's why I'm ranting. During the few minutes of an episode when they're not crying, they're jerks! As part of the dominant blue team, along with Roger and the recently departed Dan, those four (Mark especially) were the cockiest d-bags on TV. Did they keep winning? Yes. Did they have reason to be full of themselves? Yes. But if they're so hell-bent on inclusion and how great this experience is and all that emotional crap, then fine -- stick with that.

Don't go crying (literally) on someone's shoulder and then give a one-on-one to the camera about how you can't wait to vote them off. Correct me if I'm wrong, but they screwed over orange team member Jackie (Dan's mother) pretty bad. Is it the rapid weight loss? Does it screw with your hormones? I dunno, maybe they're urinating excessively too. I can only imagine what other sorts of havoc dropping 100lbs. or more has on your mind and body.

I really do love this show, but the past few weeks have been ridiculous. The non-stop crying (not to mention the fact that the producers of the show feel the need to show it all to us) has become awkward for viewers. I don't want to watch anymore of it. I don't want to see them fist-pump and chant "pride" anymore. Next week, I don't want to see Mark turning on the water works because he wished his brother was still there. If it weren't for the twist, Mark would still be home too. It's down to the final four. Suck it up already and put away the Kleenex.

Anon

My hubby is losing weight right now and he had a crying fit one night. (A lot of drama going on in the house right now.) I finally looked at him and said, "Alright Mark, that's enough." He busted up laughing and called me a jerk. :) I like the idea of a drinking game.

Anon

April 11 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mdbehm@gmail.com

Thank you!!! I've been laughing at these guys for the last three weeks, I can't believe it. My favorite part of this episode was when Marks wife said "Are you crying again?!" on the phone. That was priceless. I also did a little dance when Dan left. I mute it when they get ready to do Pride....

April 07 2008 at 3:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Ginger

I didn't mind the guys crying as much as the girls all whining.

April 03 2008 at 11:39 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Will

Maybe when the producers interview players for these shows they ask "Can you cry on que?" Because the same thing is going on on Big Brother. James, Josh, Shelia & Sharon have all been sobbing this week. It gets a little ridiculous. Funny hearing it goes on on BL, too.

April 03 2008 at 5:02 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John

I couldn't agree more, maybe because half of it was crying just...for crying it seemed, not because something good or bad was happening. Ugh.

April 02 2008 at 8:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chester

I stopped watching this show because too many men were wearing Nancy blouses.
Hell's Kitchen/Survivor/Big Brother have the most Nancy blouse wearers.

April 02 2008 at 7:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Linda

When I know we had all gone over the edge was then Jillian crying and cussing about losing Brittny, *her girl*, and that she loved her.

Um. Really?

Still the most socially redeemable reality show on the air though.

April 02 2008 at 7:31 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mayorjimmy

THANK YOU!!!!!

FINALLY i see someone else as sick of this p*ssy behavior from a bunch of pansy guys.

Every 5 seconds someone is crying!!!!

It isn't just this show. It seems like the qualifications to be on ANY reality show is that you have to cry like Julia Roberts at least once or twice a season.

April 02 2008 at 6:17 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ALG

I'm glad I'm not alone in being tired of all the sobbing. I'm all for men shedding their tears and, uh, having feelings and all that. It's just at the same time they are so cocky and ENTITLED in their wanting to remain in the game. The guys this season have seen like big bullies to me. I love this show. Don't love these guys.

April 02 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Julio

That was funny when the wife asked, "Are you crying again?" Good God man! Have some pride.

April 02 2008 at 5:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply