April 24, 2014

The Office spinoff (Official Speculation Discussion)

by Jay Black, posted Apr 2nd 2008 8:22PM
Is that a Who he's hearing?Earlier today, we reported on NBC's fall lineup. The most intriguing nugget: the long rumored Office spinoff is, indeed, happening this year. Kristin over at E! clarified things a bit (kinda) by reporting that though The Office spinoff exists semi-officially, it still does not exist creatively. Apparently, they're still trying to find the right premise for such a spinoff (and if you're not scared about the show existing before the premise does, then you haven't been watching TV for very long).

That said, it was around this time four years ago that fans of the UK Office were worrying whether or not the NBC version would go the way of Coupling, so I think it's worth giving NBC the benefit of the doubt on this one. I'd like to open the floor to our enlightened commenters on just what the premise of an Office spinoff might be...

Here is my thinking about the different spinoff possibilites (and, please, feel free to disagree; my logic is usually less cohesive than a stoner after his eleventh pumpkin-bong hit):

1. It won't be Dwight. I know that's where most of the speculation is headed, but Dwight is too much at the center of the show to ever be moved. When was the last time a "big four" player was moved off a sitcom? This would be like sending Carla from Cheers off with her ex-husband to anchor The Tortellis.

2. It might be Ryan. He's already been shuffled off to corporate, which gets us into a new setting and conflict (as it's been established that he's a less-than-popular figure there). Add on to this that B.J. Novak is a producer and writer on the show, and it starts to make some sense from a business angle as well.

3. The most likely scenario, in my opinion is Angela, Oscar, and Kevin being spun off into The Accountants. All three are popular (Kevin especially so), and all three have already starred in their own mini-adventure (remember NBC's webisodes of The Accountants?) It'd be easy enough to have the three of them decide to strike out on their own as private accountants and watch the hilarious fallout. (Though, admittedly, even as I type this, it does feel just a little bit like Chief Wiggum, P.I. This might wind up being too stupid to consider.)

Give me your best spinoff scenario in the comments (as well as your reasoning behind it). It'll give us something to do until The Office returns next Thursday.

(And, uh, small plug: I'll be reviewing The Office again starting next week as well. Be sure to stop by TV Squad by midnight on the night the show airs to start the discussion!)

nerditry

My predictions for the spinoff : http://nerditry.com/?p=162

June 14 2008 at 12:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Matt

I think a good spin-off would be the Warehouse guys, but it's going on at the same time the events in The Office are going on. We would get to see Roy come back, and all main characters from the Office would come back on occasion. So, we would basically get to see all of the stupidity of the Office employees through The Warehouse eyes.

June 12 2008 at 10:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DarthHenert

OK, here's my thoughts. I am a rediculous fan of the office and you should, and will, listen to what I say. They will absolutely posotively 100 percent not take anyone OFF of the original show for the spin-off. I'm not saying they won't go with the warehouse or someone in the cast but they will still be on the first office. and to rip all you people that think it will be the accountants idea.... Never ever in a million years could you pull that off. we already see some of the workings of the accountants and we already get enough of them. I'm not saying that they are over-used in the office but you can't make an entire show out of the accountant part of the office. it would be WAY too similar. They would go to the same meetings in the conference rooms and go to all the same parties and do their thing like they always do. and for one rediculous idea that the three accountants would go into private accounting.... Angela would never go for it. She already hates Oscar and Kevin. no way!!!! I think that whatever it is will be something no one will guess at all

June 07 2008 at 1:57 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mike

Here's how I see it:
- Dwight gets fired (reason obvious if you've seen Season4 finale), thus being freed from the main cast).
- Rainn Wilson gets his own show. He deserves it, no?

May 26 2008 at 2:19 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Poopsmith

So... Yeah. Toby is the most obvious spin-off. He gets screwed Milton style in Costa Rica...

May 25 2008 at 4:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Poopsmith

The most likely scenerio, as the last episode of the season points to, is Toby as the center. Costa Rica with Toby... Interesting premise...

May 25 2008 at 3:54 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Nathan

The problem as I see it is this. Having seen the last episode of this season, it has become evident that the Angela/Andy/Dwight love triangle will have to be fleshed out more. So much for the Dwight and or Accountants theories. And, a show focused on Jan can't work either b/c with the new baby (even though it isn't Michael's), the writers have set up a situation perfect for tension amongst Jan, Michael, and the new HR woman who he really seems to have hit it off with. Of all the suggestions, I think the Darryl spinoff is probably the most likely.

May 23 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
hilary

im thinking it may be about toby...
but some of the characters from the office will be in it as well.

May 21 2008 at 3:51 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
CKDexterHaven

As much as i love The Office, i wouldn't be able to muster any enthusiasm for a spinoff that featured "Ryan." He's the least likable of all the characters.

Dwight could work, although it would be difficult to replace him on the primary series.

The Angela/Oscar/Kevin idea seems silly. The webisodes were fine, for five minutes of internet viewing. But, there was nothing there that could sustain a half hour. Yes, of course, they'd have additional characters, but a spinoff is always driven by the spinoff character(s).

Jan could work, but then we're talking about a completely different show, with only a hint of the originating show. Her link to The Office just isn't that strong.

May 19 2008 at 10:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jenuine

Out of all the ideas thrown out there, I love the wharehouse spin off idea the best. Daryl is funny as hell and if you get some other funny/unique characters in there and get different charcter job tittles like a quirky lanky mail guy/goffer thats really awkward and maybe a disgruntled foreign security guard, and kelly can come down there from time to time to keep the ties between the two. That might work out great. Maybe they can even have Dwight's eccentric brother working down there (as a funny sympathy hire from Micheal) to screw things up and be difficult for everyone. I would watch that.

May 15 2008 at 1:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply