July 26, 2014

The quest for the final Cylon

by Keith McDuffee, posted Apr 2nd 2008 4:39PM
battlestar galacticaOne of the most talked about aspects of the final season of Battlestar Galactica has been who will be revealed as the final Cylon. Many will argue (and rightfully so) that this show is much more than discovering who this final Cylon is, but the fact remains that this discovery is an important aspect of the show. Otherwise, why would such a reveal be such a well-kept secret? Because it makes good TV, that's why.

With four of the final five Cylons being revealed in the third season finale, lots of speculation is flying on who that fifth Cylon might be. There are two interesting theories in particular I want to mention.

Earlier this week I posted my early look at the fourth season premiere. In the comments for that post, reader Stu mentioned a theory I hadn't thought of before (though I admittedly don't read all of the fan boards). In that comment he reminds us of Leoben's exchange with Roslin in 'Tigh Me Up, Tigh Me Down', where he whispers "Adama's a Cylon." I remember this scene explicitly, as I had to rewind my DVR to make sure I really heard what he said.

Most viewers automatically assume Leoben meant Bill Adama. Still others thought perhaps he meant Lee Adama. Commenter Stu, however, reminds us there's another Adama on the table: Zac Adama, Lee's brother. Remember, he died in a crash before the events of this series. Could he perhaps come back?

While this theory is great to speculate upon, I'm doubtful. I emailed the talent manager for Tobias Mehler, the man who played Zac one time in the series (he was played by someone else in the mini-series), and as for him having a role this season: "not to my knowledge." Not exactly 100% concrete, but seeing as I doubt she'd lie and didn't say "no comment," I'm inclined to say Zac was human and is dead and buried/burned.

I still wonder why Leoben bothered to say that to Roslin, though. I understand it causes confusion and distrust, but it didn't really work well, did it? And it just seemed ... uncharacteristic of a Cylon. Maybe he meant Carolanne Adama (she appeared once in 'A Day in the Life')? Maybe I should call Lucinda Jenney's agent next. Nah.

The second theory that's intrigued me for a while is the return of Billy Keikeya as the final Cylon. You might remember that he was killed in 'Sacrifice'. This would be quite a wild reveal, but not as wild as some others. However, just to see what would happen, I emailed Paul Campell's talent agent. When I asked if Campbell would be reprising his role in season four, he said, "you can ask, but I can't tell you." When I then asked if that meant he didn't know or if his answer was "no comment," he replied: "no comment."

The "no comment" remark from a talent agent could mean anything. It could mean he really is returning and has been told not to say (or that he knows by saying it would mean big trouble for him.) It could be that he signed a NDA that states he can't comment on the actor's involvement with the show. It could also just be him messing with us, hoping that I'll do this post and get Paul more press -- and, look, it worked. Heck I would have posted about Paul anyway, but only if he would have really been given a true greenlight for Nobody's Watching. Damn you, NBC! But I digress.

What are some of the better theories you've read or heard out there? I've got a few of my own that just seem way too far-fetched to me, but I'll just pat myself on the back if/when one of those theories comes true.

(Oh, and while I'm talking BSG, let me know in the comments if you want me to open a chatroom during the premiere!)

ceti

Wow, I also thought about Billy.

Interestingly, Billy was an out and out atheist, sympathetic to Zarek's cause, and looked with distaste at Roslin's political use of religion.

D'Anna would know him, as she appeared on the show as a reporter before Billy died. She would have been a thorn in his side actually, as Billy was Roslin's assistant.

Interesting -- he was the first assistant before Tory, another much more sinister cylon. Tigh remained Adama's Ex-O throughout the entire series.

June 26 2008 at 5:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David Nordmark

I've written more about this on my blog at http://www.davidnordmark.com, but I think one of the characteristics of the final 5 are that they are not immortal. Remember, when we've seen glimpses of Cylon society, we don't see other copies of Tigh or Tyrol walking around. I also think this is why Tigh has been able to impregnate the captured 6. One of the costs of the Cylons being immortal (at least, up until the hub was destroyed) is that they can't reproduce sexually. However, the final 5 can, as they were never immortal to begin with.

I also think there may be a third force that created these Cylons in the first place. I think there going to be similar to the ships of light from the original series. I wrote a post on this as well a while back. Click on the BattleStar Galactica category on my blog to see it, if you're interested.

Oh, and my guess for the final Cylon is either Tom Zarek of Starbuck.

June 13 2008 at 5:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jeff

Akbar....

Just reading your comments, you dont know much about RDM, cos if you did you would know that he compulsively lies to protect his show

HE TOLD EVERYONE INCLUDING THE ACTORS THAT STARBUCK IS DEAD FOR GOOD. TOOK "KATIE SACKOFF" of the credits...

He's never gona say, "oh yeah its roslin, thought id spoil it for you"

The dylan 4, have two of the major characters from the show in amoungst them,

It even states on the credits "one will be revealed"

a reveal has to be dramatic, someone we all care about and someone we have been with since the begining, truely been with

Zarek wont be it,
Neither will zac
Neither will ellen tigh
Neither will Gaeta

the only one's not shown on that table that are even worth entertaining as the FC, are cain & romo lampkin and even them two are way out there

Most likely

1. Roslyn
(she was fracking president adar, much like 6/baltar, shared visions with cylons - dont give me hera's blood as an excuse - over the top hatred of the cylons "methinks the lady doth protest too much" the fact she puts them in airlocks - she probably sub consiously knew the would resurect. also roslin = ros (old word for earth) lyn/lin staight line. Much like palpatine she has stayed in power far in excess of her official term)
2. Baltar
(dont think i really need to list the why's here, perhaps cos he other than tigh and starbuck the most human character, projection, the suicide attemp, perhaps hes the one clawing there way to the light trying to redeem himself???)
3. Dee "adama"
(anastasia = anastasis = resurection (in ancient greek) Dualla = Duallis = double/duel (in latin) her surname at the moment is adama, she was the person who told bill to give the speech about hope (earth)

This is my favorite show of all time, if its zac it would spoil the show for me, a character i have invested no time in, anyone who thinks its him is a FRACKTARD

June 12 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJB

RJB said...
Leoben said "Adama's a Cylon." He didn't say which one. It's Lee Adama (Apollo). He has saved BSG's butt time and time again, always does the "righteous" thing - even defending Baltar. He's now leaving to join government - and how about that last question for his father in episode "six of one": "What if Zach came back and were a Cylon all along? Would it make any difference?"

The goodness of the final five - and the final one (who is the original "skinjob") and their not judging other living things and trying to be fair (remember the conflict with Zarek? Remember his defending Roslin?) is why the new Cylons never discuss them, but somehow are drawn to them. Lee Adama (Apollo) embodies that more than anyone.

April 13 2008 at 10:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RJB

The goodness of the final five - and the final one (who is the original "skinjob") and their lack of judgement for all living things (remember the conflict with Zarek? Remember his defending Roslin?) is why the new Cylons never discuss them, but somehow are drawn to them. Lee Adama (Apollo) embodies that more than anyone.

April 13 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
shay McCloskey

What About Lee's Wife she is still an Adama

April 09 2008 at 3:32 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
alexanna

I believe that Bill Adama is the final cylon. He has known all along about the other four and was in a position to get them all on Gallactica. Even Roslins aide. Bill had Billy killed so she would step into his place.

As far as Hera being the first hybrid child I disagree. I believe that Bill had been watch Tigh for a long time and when Kara's mother became pregnant with Tigh's child he took Tigh in. He also wanted Kara to be with on of his son's who are also hybrids. Afterall the Cylon 7 have only been recently trying to have children. They may not have known that it was in them all along.

Kara being a hybrid will also explain why the other cylons know about her and are having visions of her finding earth.

April 08 2008 at 10:46 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Caperios

Its Helo!

April 07 2008 at 10:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
apronk

I just decided that my stance/prediction is that Billy is the final cylon.

I googled "billy is the final cylon" just for kicks to see if I wasn't the only one out there.

Apparently I'm not alone.

Good to know!

April 07 2008 at 11:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RobinA

Re: the final humanoid Cylon: This may be a stretch, but has anyone thought it interesting that all 4 of the 5 have names with a 'T' in it? Tigh, Tyrol, Tory Foster, Samuel T. Anders. So, my crazy thought is that the last 1 will be a character whose name has a 'T' in it, too. That could be a few: Gaeta, Doc Cottle, Tom Zarek, Anastasia Dualla, etc. It would be nice to see another woman...

April 06 2008 at 12:27 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to RobinA's comment
Gudlyf

I'm going to have to say that's a pretty big stretch.

April 06 2008 at 1:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply