July 25, 2014

Fox renews King of the Hill

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 4th 2008 11:42AM
King of the HillPropane rules! Fox has renewed King of the Hill for a 13th season. The down home hilarity of Hank and Peggy Hill, their son Bobby and dog Lady Bird, will continue for another year, likely remaining in Fox's strong Sunday night animation lineup that includes The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad -- although that's only speculation on my part.

Creators Mike Judge (the voice of Hank and Boomhauer) and Greg Daniels (The Office) will continue at the helm, and all the usual characters remain. That means more of Kathy Najimy as Peggy, Brittany Murphy as Luanne, Pamela Adlon as Bobby, Johnny Hardwick as Dale, and Stephen Root as Bill.

The beauty of King of the Hill is in the quiet, subtle humor. It's not loud and raucous like The Simpsons, nor filled with topical inside jokes about pop culture like Family Guy and American Dad -- all of which are terrific and very funny.

King of the Hill, to me, is more observational and maybe even gentler. Peggy going to a Boggle Championship, Bobby learning to drive, Hank's obsession with the Dallas Cowboys and all things propane, and, of course, their odd gaggle of friends and neighbors.

It's especially gratifying that Fox has given King the thumbs up for another season considering how close they came to canceling it in the past. The show, which is an Emmy award-winner (1999) for its consistently excellent production -- and in many ways more realistic depiction of life -- has never been a ratings grabber for the network. In 2005, Fox nearly pulled the plug, but a surge in the Nielsen kept the show off the chopping block.

Dennis

KING OF THE HILL WILL BE REMEMBERED LIKE ANDY GRIFFITH,ALWAYS A MEANING TO THE STORY AT THE END OF THE SHOW.HATE TO SEE YOU GUYS GO,BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS HAVE RE-RUNS

July 29 2011 at 2:36 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jorie

I'm happy for this, but I think the writers have been treating this like it's the final season since they have been wrapping up long-running storylines. In some cases (Cotton Hill), the closure is permanent. I hope that they can pursue other stuff that they haven't had a chance to, like having Bobby enter high school and making Luanne actually LOOK pregnant.

April 04 2008 at 6:59 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ac

KOTH is my least favorite of Mike Judge's work. Bevis & Butthead, Idiocracy, and my favorite film Office Space are far surperior I think.

April 04 2008 at 4:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Does anyone know, has Judge ever stated that he didn't want to do any more Beavis & Butthead? I miss it.

April 04 2008 at 3:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Clearly those who say it's trash have not watched much of the show. It takes time to digest the characters but once you know what it's all about there's some quality here. It's a gentle show that never runs out of steam. I always tell people who aren't interested that it's by the guy who did Office Space and from the some of the writers of the Office and if you're an avid fan of Office Space and The Office you can definitely see a similarity in the humor. Anyways congrats to Mike Judge and Greg Daniels. Glad to see there's still some good FOX executives. And frankly having Futurama back in any form is good enough for me.

April 04 2008 at 3:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
John Howard

I didn't realize it was even still on. Actually, I thought it had been gone for several years.

April 04 2008 at 2:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Peanut

I don't want to speak for JW, but he or she probably should have said "I don't want to know anyone who doesn't like King of the Hill."

April 04 2008 at 1:54 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Peanut's comment
kevjohn

Oh well. Can't undo what's already been done. :)

(that seems like a very Bill Dauterive thing to say) heh

April 04 2008 at 2:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

Mike Judge has a... complicated relationship with FOX. Glad to see there'll be another season of the show, though. King of the Hill is easily the most underrated cartoon ever.

April 04 2008 at 1:49 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Franklin

The subtlety of King of the Hill is exactly why I like it so much. It's nice to see animation that doesn't feel the need to be so over-the-top with everything. I long ago grew tired of The Simpsons, although I do enjoy an occasional episode, and I never could stomach Family Guy or American Dad, so KOTH is really one of the few animated shows I enjoy.

It's good to see FOX making sane decisions every now and then.

April 04 2008 at 1:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jayr2345

KOTH is great, its so not over the top its hilarious. And if you don't like King of the Hill, all I can say to you is "I'LL KICK YOUR ASS!!!!!". (lol)

April 04 2008 at 1:09 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply