November 23, 2014

Top Ten toughest bald guys on TV -- another view

by Debra McDuffee, posted Apr 5th 2008 1:00PM
keith marsThis is going to be fun.

When I first saw Paul's post about the Ten toughest Bald guys on TV, I immediately brainstormed who I thought they'd be before I read the post. Boy, was I surprised, not only at some of Paul's choices, but more importantly, his omissions. I was inspired enough to write my own list.

For some of my list, I agree with Paul.

1. Hawk (Spenser for Hire)
I was so glad to see Hawk on Paul's list, as he was one of the first ones to come to mind. However, I would not agree that he is a stereotype. He was deep and sensitive, loyal and protective, none of which fit the stereotype of bad ass for me. Although am I biased because I read the books, which perhaps have Hawk as a far more developed character than the series did?

2. Jean-Luc Picard (Star Trek :TNG)
Total agreement here. Again, not a stereotype. His great leadership skills helped to make him the tough guy that he is.

3. Keith Mars (Veronica Mars)
Oh yeah, Keith can be scary all right, but it is a good thing Keith was around. Here is another protector -- of his loved ones and of justice. Kind of makes him sound like a superhero ...

Other entries on my list have me agreeing with the commenters.

4. Walter Skinner (X-Files)
Man, did I love this character. At first we were lead to believe that Skinner was just a suit, a bureaucrat fighting against Mulder and Scully. How wrong we were when the Skinner-centric episodes appeared. It takes a very tough guy to protect the secrets that Skinner knew.

5. James Doakes (Dexter)
Perhaps the frontrunner on my list, Doakes was everything a tough guy should be. Scary, stalky, violent, muscle-bound, man of few words and many secrets. He turned into a pretty strong character and I will miss him on the next season of Dexter.

6. Vic Mackey (The Shield)
OK, so I only watch The Shield under great duress, but I do recognize that it is a quality show that just doesn't appeal to my feminine tastes. Vic is seriously bad ass, in every outer way. But in a sense he is also a pansy on the inside, because he just can't seem to get out of the ... shall we say, awkward ... situations in which he finds himself.

Still others that made my list are originals from my scary little brain.

7. Eli "Weevil" Navarro (Veronica Mars)
Is it OK to have two tough guys from the same show? It's my list, so I say yes. Weevil was a tough guy in a different way from Keith, although they both used their toughness to protect Veronica. Weevil inspired fear in others for no really go reason, and that trait alone puts him on this list.

8. Steven Harper (Boston Public)
It takes a tough guy with a heart to be the principal of an inner city Boston high school. Heck, he makes the list just for coming to work everyday.

9. Charles Gunn (Angel)
So I'm a big geeky fan of the Buffyverse, but I still say Gunn deserves to be on this list. As a human, he formed and headed a vampire slaying team. Forget about the sissy who fell in love with Fred; this guy was all bad ass when it came to fighting the good fight.

10. Chris Daughtry (American Idol, season 5)
Yep, I'm going to get slayed (see #9) for this entry, but open your minds, readers, and see the potential for creative interpretation of tough guy. A singer and -- *gasp* -- songwriter, this American Idol contestant set the bar high. He never once sung something that made him uncomfortable and he stayed true to who he was throughout the competition. Add the edgy rock thing and you've got a tough guy in my book. And really, he is cool enough to go by just one name -- 'Daughtry' -- and he's probably the American Idol contestant you'd least like to cross in a dark alley.

So that's my take on the Top Ten Toughest Bald Guys on TV. And I was right -- writing this was fuuuun.

eric f

Chris Daughtry. Only a girl would think this guy is a badass.

April 07 2008 at 11:59 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Phish

what no Lex Luthor? honestly, he has to be the toughest guy in the world, cause he basically has no soul. that makes him the most evil and dangerous person on this list!!

also how come you forgot about the BORG, i think they were all bald once they were assimilated? no?

this list is almost as bad as paul's!

April 06 2008 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Zach

What about Daniels from "The Wire"? That guy was totally badass.

April 06 2008 at 9:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Becky

I can't believe you left off Teal'c from Stargate SG-1.

April 06 2008 at 10:18 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Debra McDuffee

Just a few things, I always enjoy reader comments! The list is in no particular order.

I didn't include John Locke b/c I find him to be too emotionally damaged to be considered a true tough guy. I see that point that he does some tough guy things, but b/c of his past with his dad, he has shown himself to be too easily manipulated. Not a tough guy trait in my book.

Paul included Kojak, and I felt I couldn't b/c I really have never watched the show. Same for Lex Luthor in Smallville.

I still stand by Mackey being a pansy on the inside, b/c he if were a true tough guy, he'd have the testicles to do the right thing, you know, use his bad ass for good, not evil. The guy's got no character. Al good reasons not to include him, so maybe that's why Vic didn't make Paul's list.

Keep the comments coming, it is always fun!

Debbie McDuffee

April 06 2008 at 8:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Debra McDuffee's comment
Gudlyf

*sigh* Vic Mackey. I know, guys. I know.

April 06 2008 at 8:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Props for including Vic Mackey, but to call him a "pansy on the inside?" Oh, someone's going to pay for this ...

April 06 2008 at 7:40 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Los

Chris Daughtry... seriously?

The guy wears massive amounts of eye-liner and is vain enough to name his band after himself then proceed to tatoo that name all the way across his back?

And I'm sorry but his music can be classified as Pop-Rock at its edgiest. "It's Not Over" is credited to have been written by Ace Young, Greg Wattenberg, and Mark Wilkerson. And yes, that is Ace Young from American Idol fame.

Not Tough, not rock.. last person to belong on this list.

Case closed

April 06 2008 at 1:05 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bsgfan2003

Picard is a gentleman, not a pansy. He held up quite well under torture. "You called me Picard!!" That's tough.

April 05 2008 at 11:18 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
BartmanDK

Eli "Weevil" Navarro! Not only did i like him so much that i took his name into World of Worcarft, but i think he should have been #1.. Come on he could kick any of the other guys asses!!

April 05 2008 at 10:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Vito

I demand a third list from someone who knows who Brother Mouzone is!

April 05 2008 at 6:26 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply