September 1, 2014

Project Runway jumps from Bravo to Lifetime

by Annie Wu, posted Apr 7th 2008 7:09PM
Heidi and TimHey, boys. I know it took, like, two whole seasons before you became comfortable enough with your masculinity to admit enjoying Project Runway and start watching the show with your lady-friends. It's really great that you were open-minded enough to spend a night every week with Bravo, NBC's flamboyant cousin. Anyway, about that... Project Runway is leaving Bravo for Lifetime. Secret Runway fans need come out now, because "Oh! I thought tonight was Top Chef! I guess I'll just watch this anyway..." isn't going to cut it anymore, because the only other options on Lifetime are Meredith Baxter TV movies and Your Mama Don't Dance.

In all seriousness, I'm not sure that this bizarre jump is the best move for Runway. The quality of Lifetime shows has always been a little iffy to me, and the tone of the network doesn't seem to fit. Whereas Bravo feels like it fits Runway's younger, arty audience, Lifetime feels a little... menopausal. That's mean, right? Okay, just pretend I said "too Reba-tastic". The folks at NBC are none too happy about this move either, filing a lawsuit against The Weinstein Company.

The Variety article states that Weinstein announced the sixth season will be premiering in November. How can we really trust them with our shows if they don't even know that Runway's fifth season hasn't even started yet? Come on.

rick cokely

I don't like this one bit. I like my Wednesday night line-up the way it is. ANTM, Idol, and Runway/Chef are the staple and the only thing that gets me through the first half of the work week! Why, WHY must they mess with this! Ugh.

In all seriousness though, you're absolutely right about Lifetime being menopausal. I mean yea, I love the Golden Girls and all, but fo'real Runway needs to stay on Bravo with the rest of the gay-centric shows.

April 09 2008 at 10:42 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rex

Does this mean that Project Runway is going to cut into my Golden Girls and Designing Women time?

What does this mean for Tim Gunn's new show?

New topic for discussion: If you were a Golden Girl, which one would you be?

April 08 2008 at 12:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moreartplease

Shouldn't dudes just point out the fact that nearly every episode involves nude to nudeish models? Can't that be enough to prove the existence of your testicles and squash that ol' homosexual panic?

April 08 2008 at 10:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
tv junkie

So two more seasons this year? wouldn't that be a bit of overkill (and didn't they have trouble casting last season?)
Project Runway has been such a Bravo staple that I just hope it doesn't change too much once it get to Lifetime. I also agree that Bravo has a younger and hipper audience than Lifetime (which has some weird father-and-daughter dancing reality show that is just creepy to watch,) that made the move puzzling.
I also wonder why The Weinstein Company was so eager to jump ship because didn't NBCU said they might bring to show to NBC? that's a much bigger audience than cable (and would be one of the best reality shows on network tv.)

April 08 2008 at 1:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to tv junkie's comment
Oreo

That dancing show is VERY creepy. What the guys had to do with their mothers was completely wrong.

April 08 2008 at 10:32 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
gadlaw

Yeah, 'reality' tv. Like a virus it needs to keep growing until it reaches that magical time when it will just die away. It would be nice if they all moved to Lifetime channel so I could just avoid and block that one channel along with the shopping channels and the 'give me money cause Jesus needs money' channels.

April 08 2008 at 12:06 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MCW

Cool, it should be easier for me to NOT watch once it moves to Lifetime. That will pretty much ensure it. Bravo indeed, Bravo.

April 07 2008 at 9:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jonathan

i like how you had to mention that guys watch it first. yea i got sucked in season 2, nothing on and my sister made me pick between this and some other crap show. but yea if its on lifetime i aint watchin that crap.

the usual:
oh its on bravo dude! the channel with the chefs!

the unusual:
oh its on lifetime dude! the channel with the golden girls!

April 07 2008 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to jonathan's comment
Oreo

What is wrong with Golden Girls?!

And they also have Reba and Still Standing.

April 07 2008 at 11:43 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
slutty_whore

If it weren't for Wendy Pepper, true reality uber bitch and totally undeserving contestant to be in the final 3 of the first season (only after getting her daughter's picture drawn on), does this show even make it past its first fledgling season.... Season 2 had more intriguing characters, but without Wendy's ruthlessness, we wouldn't have enjoyed Andre or any other of the season 2 designers.

April 07 2008 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to slutty_whore's comment
Emily

that begs the question.....Where's Andre?

April 08 2008 at 10:41 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
David

You should note that the NY Times is reporting the NBC has filed sued to block this change.

April 07 2008 at 8:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to David's comment
David

Ack. You did note it. Bad David, bad! Sorry Annie.

April 07 2008 at 8:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

For reasons I don't understand I lost Bravo from my cable package, so I haven't watched it this season.

However I do get Lifetime. :)

Plus the only good season of the show was season 2, the rest have been badish at best and unwatchable trash at worse.

April 07 2008 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply