July 25, 2014

Firefly may get special edition box set

by Anna Johns, posted Apr 8th 2008 2:21PM
firefly logoJewel Staite revealed some information that may have all you Browncoats making room on your shelf for another box set of Joss Whedon's brilliant-but-canceled Firefly. Staite, you all remember, played sweet Kaylee on that short-lived series.

At a convention in Australia two weeks ago, Staite mentioned that she may be headed to Los Angeles to do some commentary for a special box set of Firefly. Here's what she said:

"I just heard that they're re-releasing Firefly, a special edition of Firefly in a box set. They actually asked me if I was able to come down to L.A. and do commentary in the spring at some point. So I think that would be fun."

She also said that she thought it was possible there could be a sequel to the movie, Serenity (of the Firefly series) and that she would definitely do it if that ever happened.

I can't imagine what could be added to the Firefly DVD set, but I'm sure I'll have to buy it and see. I've really enjoyed the commentary and extras on the existing Firefly DVDs-- especially the Nathan Fillion/Alan Tudyk commentary on my favorite episode, 'War Stories'.

(UPDATE: It sounds like it's going to be a Blu-Ray edition)

[Via PopCandy]

ryanknapper

@Eric H "Here's hoping this is on Blu-Ray"

Be serious; this is Fox. It'll be HD-DVD, at best.

April 17 2008 at 8:34 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Galley

This will be the best BD ever!

April 09 2008 at 9:30 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric H

I just found this link for more info. http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Firefly-Blu-ray-Release/9350

April 08 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Sweet! Only just got into this series on torrents and was about to buy the DVD - might hold out for this now (or if they're substantially different, might get both!)

Now if Fox can give the same treatment to Arrested Development I can pick that up at the same time. FF and AD are consistently Fox TV's highest selling DVDs on Amazon, throughout 2007 and so far throughout 2008.

April 08 2008 at 3:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eugene

sweet.

April 08 2008 at 3:08 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
moreartplease

For you lucky souls who get UHD, they are rerunning the whole series in Hi-Def. I don't think it was shot with hi-def in mind, as it definitely seems lower-fi than the other shows on the channel. They have recently shown Jericho, Friday Night Lights and Kidnapped, all in Hi-Def. This is rapidly becoming one of my go-to channels. They are now rerunning two shows I don't even remember, called 'Philly" and "Big Apple". I am hoping they fit that same culty, brilliant but cancelled vibe, so I've dvred them.

SPOILERS

I would love to see a second movie, but since they killed off A) my favorite character and B)the character with the best mysterious backstory, I'm not sure that it would ever be the same.

April 08 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to moreartplease's comment
Eric H

Joss wanted the show to have a grainy comfy look, but it was shot in wide screen for fox high def. Here's hoping this is on Blu-Ray

April 08 2008 at 3:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Sam

Maybe they could make it a prequel. A firefly without Wash would be like the x-files without Mulder (Oh, wait... nevermind.)

April 09 2008 at 12:20 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply