April 23, 2014

Major NCIS shake up

by Isabelle Carreau, posted Apr 8th 2008 2:41PM
NCIS
Late last night, TV Guide's Michael Ausiello put in print words that NCIS fans didn't want to see: "NCIS Star Goes AWOL!" As soon as the news hit the Internet, my inbox was flooded with emails asking if I knew who was set to leave the show at the end of the season. I poked my spoilers sources but no answers yet.

NCIS fans will remember that around the same time last year, we heard that Mark Harmon wanted out because of creator Donald P. Bellisario. The latter accepted to reduce his involvement on the show so that Harmon would stay. So who is it this time? Could it be Harmon? Let's analyze the situation and make our predictions.

In his announcement, Ausiello says that it'll be a major cast member (aka a series regular) and that the person will exit the series in a dramatic fashion. He uses the word "actor" and not "actress" but any Ausiello reader knows that he loves to blur the lines; so the choice of word here could mean either male or female. The gossip columnist also adds that this departure will create repercussions that will be felt not only next season but possibly beyond.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs: If Gibbs leaves the show, it would indeed create major repercussions. Not only is he the lead character but he is the heart and soul of the series. When Harmon announced he wanted to quit last season, fans tried to imagine the series without him and it was not a pretty sight. I doubt it's Gibbs because the series would suffer from it too much but we never really know for sure, eh? If it is Gibbs, that would mean that Tony would become the team leader. We pretty much know how that would go since Tony was put in charge when Gibbs resigned from NCIS. I don't think this can be classified as "a departure that will create repercussions that will be felt for years" since we know what we would get. However, if Tony is not put in charge, it would create more ripples.

Anthony DiNozzo / Abby Sciuto / Dr. Donald "Ducky" Mallard / Timothy McGee / Ziva David: All of these characters are great for various reasons. Their departure would be tragic but I'm not sure it would create a major effect. We (the fans) all thought getting rid of Kate was a terrible decision, yet our mourning of her was over pretty quickly. The only way I see the departure of one of these characters create a major stir that would have ripple effects beyond last season is if it's more tragic than Kate's demise.

Jenny Shepard: Even if Jenny is not a major character, she still is a regular. I think her departure would create the most impact within the series, of course, depending how they deal with it. Imagine that Jenny dies in a tragic death. The team would want to find out who killed her and seek revenge (like they did for Kate). Since NCIS would be left without a director, they would try to promote from within first. Gibbs was acting director once, so why not him? Gibbs becomes director, Tony would become team leader, and someone else would be hired on the team. This musical chair game would have a major effect on the show since it would change the dynamics of the series. Then again, since Jenny is not that important to the show, maybe she's not the one leaving...

Personally, I would prefer that either Ducky, Ziva or Jenny leaves because they would be the easiest to replace (Jimmy could take Ducky's position; since Ziva replaced Kate, someone could replace Ziva; Jenny could be replaced by someone from outside or Gibbs). I care for all three and would prefer that no one leaves and that my favorite NCIS team stays intact.

As soon as I get more clues and/or the name of the person leaving the show, I'll inform you either in a post or in Spoilers Anonymous.

Who do you think is leaving the show?
Gibbs148 (3.2%)
Tony314 (6.7%)
Ziva321 (6.9%)
Abby140 (3.0%)
Ducky312 (6.7%)
McGee168 (3.6%)
Jenny3269 (70.0%)

Mike

I have to agree with most people, Jenny would be the least missed out of the entire group. Gibbs, Tony, McGee, Ziva, Abbey and Ducky are the core of the show. It would be a real problem to solve if one of them left.

June 27 2008 at 4:23 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Red

The show is past. I can't believe all are being reassigned and a new cast will be on board. How dumb. This show earned a following because we love what we have. Every time I get into a series on TV, the cancel it, kill off the characters, or replace them. Cut the crap!!! If the NCIS cast doesn't come back, except for Jenny, I'm done watching it. Ziva, Tony, McGee, Ducky and Abby besides Gibbs are wonderful.

May 22 2008 at 5:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Red's comment
Isabelle Carreau

No to worry, everyone is back (except Jenny) and will be working together sooner than later.

May 22 2008 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
ahdm

Don't sweat the season finale. Most if not all will be back. Gibbs mentioned when he came out of his short lived retirement that he needed his team. His only option now is to retire permanently, unless....Also, the new Director won't be around long. He wants to be close to his family and who needs another Director with "skeletons in the closet?" That gets old after awhile.

May 20 2008 at 11:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
DJD

I wonder if NCIS will return in the fall? Maybe with a new crew?? That would ruin the show!!!!

May 20 2008 at 11:12 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to DJD's comment
Isabelle Carreau

Not to worry. NCIS is coming back so are the cast members (minus Jenny of course).

May 20 2008 at 11:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Judy

Just know that I hope a reorganization of the team is in the future, or tuning in is not in my future.

May 20 2008 at 10:35 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Salty

What the hell were the producers thinking? This can't be happening - it's the end of the series. Mark Harmon is good but not good enough to carry the whole show alone. We need this team - Jenny's gone but the team MUST remain.

May 20 2008 at 10:29 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Jim

Just saw the season finale. Looks like just about everyone is leaving due to reassignments except Gibbs, Ducky and Abby.

May 20 2008 at 10:11 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Didi

If Jenny has to leave, I'd be sorry to see her go, but not devastated. Losing any one of the others would be devastating. I never cared one way or the other about Kate, although her death was sad, but Ziva interacts with the others so perfectly, and I, for one, would really miss her.

May 20 2008 at 6:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Snix

I don't know why, but every time I read something like this, where the fans gather together, I'm always shocked by how underappreciated poor Timothy McGee seems to be. Most people here have expressed their desire to keep him, thank goodness, but so many others have focused on the other three to an extent that leaves me worried that our Probie might die somehow.
When I heard the news, I did a breakdown of the characters and came up with what I percieve as the only acceptable course of action (though, admittedly, I was horrified to see Kate die, and look how that came out?). Gibbs is the bread of NCIS, his team the butter, if you pardon the metaphor. There shouldn't be one without the other. Tony, Ziva and Tim all have fabulous personalities that play fabulously off of each other, creating that kind of sibling-workplace that I've come to associate with NCIS (and let's face it, it occurs in reality, too). Ziva's too new to reasonably be offed - her character is still developing, and it wouldn't make sense to kill another female field agent so soon. It wouldn't do the series any good, though it would certainly be a shock, and would probably result in pissing off the fans for a long, long time. Tim's had to work his way into the team and like a little brother still resides, to an extent, in the shadow of his 'big brother' Tony. He's the team's geek and creates a lot of the drama with Abby. Tony can't go, either, because he's already died once, he's lasted longer than any other member of the team (if you count Gibb's retirement as a cessation of team activity) and has an awesome personality. He's kind of loveable in that 'he would irritate me in real life' kind of way. Abby is far to unique to have offed, too. How many shows have a cheerful Goth forensic scientist? She's a keeper, hands down, as is Ducky. I can't accept his leaving - his character is just as memorable and unique as the others. With those six out of the way, the only main character left is Director Sheppard, and as much as I like her, if someone has to go, it must be her. It'll shake up the show, probably throw Gibbs and the team for a loop, and (sadly, so please forgive) is the only character that NCIS could lose without unraveling completely. Most spoiler sites I've peeked at have said that the character's death would be more surprising in the way that it is executed (pardon the pun) rather than who it is.

It's kind of infuriating to think about because of the hush-hush attitude that goes with NCIS - it's one of the only shows where the media isn't all over it and there's no viable way for the fans to find out for sure what is going to happen...which is nice in some aspects, but is absolute torture in this case. NCIS is one of the greatest shows I've seen, and even though it's a 'crime show' or 'TV Drama' it is refreshing to see a non-CSI spinoff that can hold its own and still retain a lot of individuality this day and age.

May 19 2008 at 10:53 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sarah

agh i really think the person who wrote this has ever seen the show saying jennys death will create the most drama because everyone i know who watches this show is in love with abby the most i think that that would create the most reapercussions if abby died because gibbs treats her like a daughter and she is proably that favorite of everyone of the team, (tims in love with her) (tony treats her unlike other girls he meet (most of the time, not counting witch hunt) ) (ziva has become good friends with her) (ducky likes to be around abby because she listens to his storys) and gibbs would proably lose it like he did with kate but even worst so if you ask me killing of Abby would do the most damage (but it may also kill the show)

May 18 2008 at 12:40 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply