October 22, 2014

Lauren Graham for Office spin-off?

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 9th 2008 11:20AM
Lauren GSo, while we've been speculating here on our own about The Office spinoff, others are doing the same. TV Guide's Michael Ausiello, one of my favorite TV chatters, was asked in his column about said Office spinoff and whether it may be the perfect spot for Lauren Graham. Hmm...very interesting.

Ausiello agreed with the writer, that especially in light of the big deal Lauren inked with NBC, it makes sense. He wrote, "It would be insane not to at least consider Graham for the gig. Are you with me?"

Yes, I am, Mike! Frankly, I think Lauren Graham would be terrific given the quality writing the folks at The Office have been able to consistently produce. She's a wonderful comic actress. Her award-worthy stretch on Gilmore Girls proved that. She was in the classic mold of a screwball comedy queens like Rosiland Russell, Jean Arthur, Barbara Stanwyck and Carole Lombard. And in TV terms, that's Mary Tyler Moore territory.

But like any other actor, Lauren needs good writing -- really. She was lovely in Because I Said So with Diane Keaton, but the movie was dreadfully bad. And in Evan Almighty, opposite Steve Carell, she barely registered because she was given nothing to do! Therefore, if The Office spinoff stars Lauren Graham, make sure she's challenged and write something funny. With the right words -- like Amy Sherman-Palladino's for Lorelai Gilmore -- Lauren will shine again. And Steve Carell, put in a good word for Lauren -- you owe her!

Speaking of Amy, she has to be smarting from the swift -- and deserved -- demise of The Return of Jezebel James. Here's an idea: if Amy's looking for a new gig, hire her for The Office spinoff. She knows funny -- pre-Jezebel, that is. Jezebel was so ill-conceived that even Lauren Graham wouldn't have saved it.

Emily

Hello My name is Emily Nachtegall
I am wondering if anybody stilll wants Gilmore GIrls back on the air to try and help me get them back on. Gilmore GIrls is my favorit show ever. so if you feel the same as i do email me at emilynachtegall@yahoo.com. And if every body can find a way that they can get that show back on try your hardest. If we all work to geather we can do it.
Emily Nachtegall

May 12 2008 at 7:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
carrie

I think it willbe great for Lauren Graham possiable onthe show for The Office but I rather she will be own show something alike that something Doctor comedy/drama I think she will be best an actress!!!! give her chance come on!!!

April 09 2008 at 11:01 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Mike Brown

I heard 50 Cent was already a lock for the new Office spin-off.

April 09 2008 at 7:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I plead guilty to liking Lauren Graham and wanting her back on the air. Like Joel says, this is water-cooler talk; not news. When I read the bit on TV Guide, I wanted to chat about it -- and that's what we're doing. I never thought Maura T. was great at comedy, so I wouldn't see her thriving in an Office spinoff. Of course, we could all be off and the producers could be going with someone from the current cast as the star.

April 09 2008 at 6:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
mikey mike

Will Arnett, Lauren Graham and Creed would make for perhaps the best sitcom ever.

April 09 2008 at 5:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
FlagPatrick

Ron Livingston anyone? The Office is about working class mundane life and if anyone knows about that it's the star of Office Space. Seriously, this guy needs some work and I wouldn't mind seeing him in this sort of project.

April 09 2008 at 2:44 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
MERVE-THE-PERVE

How about Lauren Graham, Billy Bob, and a Santa costume? Now I would definitely watch that every week!

April 09 2008 at 1:19 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to MERVE-THE-PERVE's comment
D-Bo

You ain't gonna $#%& right for a week!

April 09 2008 at 10:13 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

Will Arnett's name was bounced about last week. I'd probably prefer Will over Lauren, but I'll wait for more *news* first!

April 09 2008 at 12:42 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

Apparently given enough time and nothing to go on news spontaneously writes itself? If I recommend Matthew Perry for the spinoff can I get an article too?

April 09 2008 at 12:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Thomas

We have a show about which nothing has been decided.
A poster on the internet has suggested an actress might be good for it based on nothing more than liking the actress.
A columnist says that she would definitely be worth considering based on the fact that she's good and has an overall deal.

Wow!

It's as good as done then. Of course she would be worth considering... If a character was in anyway suitable or if they wanted to write one for her.

How about Maura Tierney? She's leaving ER, has a relationship with NBC and has done comedy. What about any number of other actors?

I can understand the original thought/enquiry, but why repost it here? It's not exactly news or factual in any shape or form. If this is deemed post worthy I suggest you start going through the many TV forums on the net, there's plenty of idle speculation on them.

Also, Lauren Graham was poor on NewsRadio, which at the time was still good.

April 09 2008 at 11:50 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Thomas's comment
Joel Keller

Thomas, that's why Allison used the question mark in her headline. Yes, it's not news, just informed speculation on Ausiello's part. But sometimes, that's post-worthy, too. It got us talking, right?

I did add this to the "Watercooler Talk" category, because that's essentially what we're doing.

By the way, I think it would be fun to see Graham do an Office spin-off. But then again, I'd think it would be fun to see her read the dictionary.

April 09 2008 at 12:15 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Paul

I didn't realize TV Squad was a news-only website. Oh wait, it isn't. It's a site for discussion and conversation about television -- whether it starts in the form of news, speculation, reviews, recaps, etc. Unless I'm mistaken?

By the way, Lauren might be the only thing to make this spin-off work. Not that I don't love "The Office", because I really do, but spin-offs rarely work (especially when the original is still in its prime).

I do like the idea of Ed Helms' Andy being the lone "Office" cast member making the switch, and teaming him up with Lauren would -- in my opinion, anyway -- be HILARIOUS.

April 09 2008 at 4:10 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply