April 23, 2014

Monk star Stanley Kamel dead at 65

by Bob Sassone, posted Apr 9th 2008 3:51PM

Stanley KamelStanley Kamel, who played Dr. Charles Kroger on the USA hit series Monk, was found dead in his Hollywood house earlier today. No cause of death has been announced yet. He was 65.

Kamel has had an incredibly long career in TV and the movies. He was a regular on such series as Beverly Hills, 90210, Melrose Place, Murder One, L.A. Law, and Cagney and Lacey, and appeared in dozens of TV shows over the years, including The West Wing, MacGyver, The Golden Girls, Hunter, Star Trek: TNG, Murder, She Wrote, Reba, The Guardian, General Hospital, NYPD Blue, 7th Heaven, The Mod Squad, Mannix, The Rookies, Three's Company, Emergency, Kojak, and many more. Besides episodes of Monk, he was also filming a feature film titled For Better Or Worse, and a new movie, The Urn, which will be released later this year.

We'll update this post once we found out what exactly happened. Access Hollywood and the other shows will have more later today.

Update: Kamel died of a heart attack.

Joyce Jeffcoat

I am so sorry to hear of the death of Mr. Kamel. His character added so much to the show. Won't be the same!!

April 15 2008 at 10:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Rassi

In that picture you posted, he looks very much like Frank Gorshen who played "The Riddler" in the 60's Batman TV series...

April 10 2008 at 4:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gail

For me, Stanley Kamel's best turns were as "Det. Mick Solomon" on "Cagney & Lacey." To know "Solomon," was to enjoy him!

April 10 2008 at 10:47 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sitruc

I had no idea he was 65. He was always one of those guys I noticed, but never really knew.

April 10 2008 at 3:04 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Karen

Wow. Very sad news--he was a great character actor, and one of those "Hey! It's that Guy!"s who always brought a little something extra to any show he appeared on.

April 09 2008 at 11:28 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Gordon Werner

The real question is what will Monk do?

April 09 2008 at 9:50 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
sharonlives

I hate to engage in idle speculation, but it was clear to me some time ago that he was sick. His face had completely changed it's shape. You could see it on the show.
He had the facial "mooning" that is a side effect of prednisone and perhaps other medications. I've seen the moon face on a few people I know. It's very shocking when someone's face changes like that. Did no one else see it?

My condolences to his family. It's a great loss to the show too.

April 09 2008 at 8:41 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

This is horrible, I'm shocked... though I thought he was younger than he actually was.

Man, Adrian Monk is going to be *really* upset about this.

April 09 2008 at 7:22 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Allison

I'm shocked - and saddened. I remember the first time I ever saw Stanley Kamel on screen; he was on Days of Our Lives. That was in 1972 and for some reason -- probably his talent -- I never forgot him. I would always recognize him, like he was from one of my shows. Strange, perhaps, but I'll miss seeing him on screen. Monk won't be the same without Dr. Kroger.

April 09 2008 at 6:25 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Cincinnati Mike

That's a shame. He had a career that any character actor would kill for. He always seemed to play the jerky ex- husband, the asshole opposing counsel, the slimy corporate weasel, etc., but he was damn good at it! R.I.P.

April 09 2008 at 5:03 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply