August 30, 2014

Ticked off Jamie Lee Curtis vents on Oprah - VIDEO

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 9th 2008 9:01AM
Jamie Lee CurtisI'm not a regular Oprah watcher, but on Monday I happened to see actress Jamie Lee Curtis' appearance. I've been really curious about Jamie lately, especially since seeing her on those Activia yogurt commercials. Damn, she's just two years younger than I am and she looks great! What is in that yogurt anyway?

But Jamie Lee was on Oprah to vent. Turns out that the cover shot she did for AARP magazine, which the editors chose to proclaim as a nude shot, was a sham. The picture was not a naked photo shoot. She was wearing a strapless top and was photographed in a swimming pool. The illusion of nudity was created by the way they cropped the picture. Jamie Lee said she was shocked. She held up a copy of the magazine and said to Oprah and the world, "Isn't it fascinating that this constitutes being naked. What the f*ck are we talking about? In my world, this is called strapless. I didn't go around saying I was topless."

It was really great to see Jamie so animated and dynamic. I know I may be off on a toot here, but I think she's ready for a TV show. I could see her in a sitcom or dramedy in the next year or so. She looks good and she's a terrific comic actress. And she has a TV background; remember Anything But Love with Richard Lewis? I do. She was wonderful. On the big screen, I'll forget about Christmas with the Kranks because she really was the best reason to see Freaky Friday (sorry Lindsay fans).

Anyway, I think those commercials are the prelude to a TV return for Jamie Lee Curtis. Call me crazy, but if I'm right, remember you read it here first (unless someone else beat me to the punch).

Speaking of commercials, have you seen the really funny DirecTV series with actors John Michael Higgins, Ed Begley, Jr. and Don Lake? The same actors -- who are part of Christopher Guest's hilarious satiric films -- Best in Show, A Mighty Wind, For Your Consideration -- are playing executives in a big Cable Corporation, desperately coming up with ways to beat DirecTV. It turns out that those commercials were directed by Christopher Guest, who is married to Jamie Lee Curtis.

Oh, one more thing. Higgins, Begley and Lake are also part of the Arrested Development "family." TV Squad has mentioned before that there is a lot of noise about a possible Arrested Development movie. We're not the only ones talking about an AD movie. Check out Keith Olbermann.

newspaper3

I think Jamie Lee Curtis pissed Oprah off by saying that she didn't really watch her show. Nonetheless Jamie Lee Curthis is brilliant. re the comment about if she didn't have a hot body she wouldn't have a career...bs! She's very talented and extremely intelligent to boot. Just wish you I could see that show again. I'm sure it is in the Oprah vault never to be viewed again. bummer!!!

January 11 2012 at 8:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1iPete

I appreciate that she ranted about the implied nudity but apparently had no issue with the photoshopping to make her face look smooth and younger.

April 10 2008 at 2:33 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
YouFaceTheTick

Why would curtis care if people thought she was nude for the photo? The woman's biggest films of her career were based on her being a sexpot. She was the hooker-with-the-heart-of-gold in Trading Places (what male doesn't remember her nude scenes?), the femme fatale in A Fish Called Wanda (Wanda was the object of everybody's affection) and the wanna-be-wild-buttoned-up-mom in True Lies (remembered for primarily stripping).

Jeez, if not for her hot body then she wouldn't have had a career.

April 09 2008 at 5:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to YouFaceTheTick's comment
mamaloo

"Why would curtis care if people thought she was nude for the photo?"

Because Curtis owns her own sexuality and doesn't like it to be falsely manipulated. Because the photo doesn't need the implied idea that Curtis is naked and sexually available to be compelling and beautiful.

I think Curtis rocks.

April 09 2008 at 11:45 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Europa

You know, sometimes I think JLC just totally over reacts to stuff. I didn't see the show so I'm not a "personal" witness to how she came across but gosh, chill out.

Maybe I'm numb to all the nudity on TV and in films but my first thought at seeing the cover was not that she was nude. It was, "Gee, she looks great. I haven't seen her in a while." It's a nice shot of her - nothing more, nothing less. It's not Demi Moore nude 8-9 months pregnant on the cover of Vanity Fair 17 years ago! Relax, Jaime. :) And really, why she should she care if some people think she's nude?

She's always complaining about people [in Hollywood] not accepting their body image and constantly getting too much "work done." I believe she's stated in the past that people should accept that aging is a part of life and that the wrinkles and occasional extra weight that comes with it are just part of it and it doesn't make a person any less beautiful. Well, wouldn't appearing nude, or nude-like, on a major magazine cover without any airbrushing or slenderizing photography tricks etc. reinforce that? She looks wonderful - i.e. healthy, happy, and beautiful. Be grateful for good genes and the blessing of a healthy and happy life. Besides, if the cover shot was going to be that important to her why didn't she get finally approval? Duh.

April 09 2008 at 1:34 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

My god, I brought the AD news up several times on this site and others, no one cared to listen.

The video is from NOVEMBER or DECEMBER! GET WITH THE TIMES!

April 09 2008 at 12:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Oreo's comment
Edd

Hehe, I'm with you Oreo. It will be the highlight of my year if/when they confirm this. TV never had it so good.

April 09 2008 at 12:48 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tammy

Jamie said "what the F" there was no bleeping or whatever..... yes we knew what she meant but the way you typed it, it looks like she cursed on Oprah.

I tape Oprah every day. Many days I see what the show is about and delete it but that way I don't miss people like Jamie Lee or yesterday was Chris Everet and Martina.... very interesting interview too. I also sometimes 'listen' to Oprah when I'm putting dinner together since it doesn't need my undivided attention.

FYI - talk shows are great for the treadmill as well. I love me some Hot Topics because it totally takes my mind off of what I'm doing and keeps me distracted of how long I have been on there. :)

April 09 2008 at 11:45 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Edd

That Keith Olbermann video is pretty old - back in December if I recall, but it's always so amazing to hear of news of an AD movie that I don't care. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE start pestering Fox, Universal, or the actors, to see if this is happening. I honestly expect it to be the breakout hit of the year if they make it - honestly, Oscar nominations (including best screenplay), excellent ticket sales, etc. etc.

The writers for that show had talent and wit coming out of their ears, particularly Mitch Hurwitz, and I keep coming across new fans all over the UK. Seems to me we have a show leaving cult status and entering mainstream status - CAPITALISE on it for God's sake!! Hell fans will go twice to see all the injokes and I reckon so will a lot of new fans. Market this like Juno and Superbad , without compromising the script, and it can't fail. The absolute height of US TV, a bestseller on Amazon, and THE highest rated show on imdb (9.7), sharing company with Planet Earth and The Wire.

In other news: Jamie Lee Curtis either annoys me or makes me laugh. this made me laugh.

April 09 2008 at 10:26 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply