October 25, 2014

Coming soon on How I Met Your Mother: More Robin Sparkles! - VIDEO

by Allison Waldman, posted Apr 10th 2008 10:24AM
Let's Go to the MallHave you been missing those references to Scherbatsky's Canadian life? If you know what I'm talking about then you'll be overjoyed to know that on April 21, How I Met Your Mother will be all about Robin Sparkles, Robin Scherbatsky's alter-ego teen singing star. The entire episode is planned as a flashback to the 1980s 1990's when Robin became a one-hit wonder with the song "Let's Go to the Mall." Well, it turns out that wasn't her only song. Carter Bays and Craig Thomas, How I Met Your Mother's co-creators, composed a ballad. "Sandcastles in the Sand" was the flip-side of "Let's Go to the Mall." It's supposedly in the style of a power break-up ballad, like "Foolish Beat" and "Toy Soldiers."

Since the Britney Spears episode of Mother rated so well, the show is enlisting more guest stars. Not as high profile, certainly, but still pretty well-known. In the Sparkle flashback, we'll see Growing Pains' Alan Thicke (he's Canadian, don't you know) as Robin's Dad, and Dawson Creeks' hottie James Van Der Beek is playing the guy who broke Robin's heart -- a backup dancer from her video! That heartbreak leads to her writing "Sandcastles." And Tiffany, who was a legit 1980s pop star, will play Robin's BFF.

Maybe I'm overly optimistic because I like this show a lot, but I'm betting this is going to be as funny as Barney uncovering the music video of "Let's Got to the Mall" last year. And if you didn't know it before, the writers love veering into musical-land. Carter Bays talked to TV Squad's Joel Keller last year about Robin's song: "Craig and I were in hog heaven having the chance to write this song and record it, because that's what we do in our spare time, we play music and record it any chance we get. We wrote a song for American Dad when we worked there, we wrote a lot of songs on Letterman; it's something we love to do and we've been looking for an opportunity to do it again on the show. We were parodying a world we loved so dearly and its so part of our formative experience growing up. Just that whole '80s thing.... digging into that was fun." [Ed. note: While Robin's success was in the 1990's, she was definitely channeling a 1980's pop music vibe; that's on purpose. In the Slap Bet episode, Robin explains that the 80's "...didn't come to Canada until like '93."]

It was so much fun that they're taking us back to the '80s '90s again.

AT

I want to see Alanis Morissette with Robin Sparkles because Robin Sparkles seems based on Alanis' early career.

April 10 2008 at 7:00 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
jds65

I can't wait to see if it turns out Barney slept with Robin back in 1993, or would that have been back when he was still not awesome?

April 10 2008 at 6:07 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Creep

jPod is dead? Damnit!

April 10 2008 at 5:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Milller

My favorite thing in that video? That robot toy. Can't remember the name of it, but they had a whole line of them at a whole range of prices. I wanted one so bad, I laminated that page in the Sears Christmas Wish Book.

April 10 2008 at 1:57 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
2 replies to Tom Milller's comment
TheMatt

That would be the Tomy Omnibot 2000, the most powerful of the Omnibots.

April 10 2008 at 2:14 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Tom Milller

I guess that means you owned one. You b**tard! Would it be for sale?

April 10 2008 at 8:30 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Tom Milller's comment
Marshall

I owned one when I was a kid! I just saw the "Let's go to the mall" video again, and recognized that robot! I had the drink-serving table that inserted into it's front too. It was kinda fun as a kid, but it really didn't do a whole lot. Had a tape player in it's chest that could both play music and record programmed commands to be played back later.

January 12 2011 at 7:55 PM Report abuse rate up rate down
Allison Solow

Good catch, Eric. I've corrected my copy accordingly. Robin was a 1990's pop star with a 1980's act. Check it out above. Thanks for reading.

April 10 2008 at 1:39 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Eric

Flashback to the 1980's? I thought that Robin Sparkles was a 1990's Canadian Pop icon. I seem to remember that it was explained by Robin that 80's U.S. fashion didn't come to Canada until the 90's.

April 10 2008 at 11:55 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
1 reply to Eric's comment
Argus

Huh, apparently HIMYM Canada is different than actual Canada. Anyway, I love the fact that she used Canadian raising for "About."

Glad to see Alan Thicke, (Oh why oh why did jPod die!!?)

April 10 2008 at 12:24 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Joost Schuur

I'm sure it's a 90ies flashback.

Remember, Robin isn't old enough to have been a teen music star in the 80ies. 'The 80ies' 'arrived late' in Canada.

April 10 2008 at 11:21 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
RC

Uh SPOILER ALERT? The great part about the first Robin Sparkles video was not knowing about it ahead of time. Thanks a lot TV Squad surprise ruiner.

Of course the CBS promo dept will probably give it away anyway.

April 10 2008 at 10:48 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply