April 19, 2014

South Park: Eek, A Penis!

by Brad Trechak, posted Apr 10th 2008 12:35AM
south park
(S12E05)
It must be very tough for Trey Parker and Matt Stone to keep outdoing themselves. I don't know which image from tonight's episode was funnier: the mouse with the penis on its back running all over town (and, at one point, singing at the moon) or the photo of Mickey Mouse with a huge erection. It's a tough call.

More after the jump...

I liked tonight's episode. It was pretentious, but not as much as last week's. The episodes have felt lower in quality this season but they seem to be picking up.

"Mr. Cartmanez" wasn't quite Edward James Olmos, but half the episode was a parody of the movie Stand and Deliver. For those who didn't grasp the subtle humor, the high school in the episode was Jim Davis High School. The high school in the original movie was James A. Garfield High School. Jim Davis is the creator of the comic strip Garfield. Ha Ha.

Perhaps they've been doing it all along, but this season seems to be excessively using the writing crutch of continuously repeating the same line throughout the episode for comic effect. Last week was "I'm not your buddy, guy", etc. and this week was "How do I reach deese keeds?"

I know that the technology of growing body parts on mice has been around for years, but tell me you weren't laughing up a storm when the Penis Mouse (yes, that's what I'm going to call it) was running around South Park, waving it's back willy in the air and throwing every woman that sees it into a conniption. Among my favorite lines from the episode was Mrs./Mr. Garrison saying "My penis is on the loose. Just try to catch it with some cheese."

Maybe this is slightly sexist of me to ask, but why are all the women in the episode afraid of a penis (or, for that matter, a mouse)? If you're a woman and you saw the Penis Mouse, how would you react?

I noticed that the research institute in which the Penis Mouse was bred had an amusing sign that said "Yesterday's Future Is Today." All I can say to this sort of cartoon signage practice is: Simpsons did it!

Going back to the tendency of the show to parody movies, did anybody else place the parody song as "Somewhere Out There" from An American Tail? It was definitely a South Park moment when the penis starting singing a duet with the mouse it was attached to.

Another moment was the Mickey Mouse erection photo. Mr. Garrison's reaction of "that's just silly" was almost as good. If Mr. Garrison is a man again, is he straight or gay? Will this be dealt with in a future episode?

Tonight's show felt like a very Republican episode. It seemed to promote the idea of every person for him/herself by promoting cheating as an answer to problems. It even went further to describe abortion as "cheating nature."
The question I have after watching tonight's episode is: Are Trey Parker and Matt Stone simply using satire or do they actually believe the philosophies the episode seemed to display? Or maybe I'm giving them too much credit and they're just trying to be unconventionally funny. For this episode, they certainly succeeded with the latter.

Which image in tonight's South Park episode was funniest?
The Penis Mouse118 (10.6%)
The Mickey Mouse erection photo549 (49.5%)
The Penis Mouse singing a duet with itself441 (39.8%)

MIke

Ok, to all the people that have been brainwashed to think that the Patriots CHEATED this is the truth: They were caught with a camera on the sidelines instead of in the stands. This wouldn't have been an issue if the cameraman was in the stands with an overhead cover. The infringement was the same as jaywalking, or running a red light, not murder. The media did a masterful job over-hyping this entire issue, and the masses bought it because of their misconceptions and hatred for the Patriots. The truth of the matter is Bill Belichick (Beeelacheck) is just like you and me. At your job, do you always follow every rule in the book? No! Sometimes you might disagree with your boss about semantics and do your own thing.
As for the Super Bowl wins the teams they beat made the mistakes it had nothing to do with cheating. The Rams were head-coached by a cocky, offensive coordinator that was so in love with the pass that he refused to run Marshall Faulk, one of the greatest runners of all time the entire 2nd half. As for the Panthers that was a game that could have gone either way, but Brady made less mistakes than Delhomme. However, the win over Philadelphia was just a far superior team that was on a mission due to the Freddie Mitchell comments (remember). My point is unlike the other dynasty teams that people compare the Patriots to, the Patriots have revamped their team through smart drafting, shrewd free agent acquisitions, and uncomfortable dismissals of popular players, not by cheating.
P.S All while under a salary cap.

April 14 2008 at 10:27 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Anarch

Er... are you watching the Season 12? Because in Season 12 the first four episodes were awesome and the fifth was mediocre.

April 11 2008 at 11:02 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chuggie Hudson

Seriously? This was a parody of the 1950s-60s TV shows/movies where women would hop up on a stool afraid of a mouse: "EEK! A mouse!" Sometimes things on this show are just a goof, not a 5-layer-deep comment on society.

April 11 2008 at 1:11 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
kyle

The reason why the women are afraid of the penis mouse is to make fun of them being afraid of actual penises

April 10 2008 at 11:58 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Dubba-Deezee

They had that "yesterday's future is today" sign on the truck in 513 "kenny dies" episode.

April 10 2008 at 9:20 PM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
emor8t

Ah, gotta love how we have to get in to party debates on which party cheats the most.

For crying out loud, political cheatery knows no party bounds. Both sides cheat lie and steal. It's not because their Republican,s democrats, or independents, it's because they are POLITICIANS.

Christ, yellow dog party favoring is so dead. Can we please move on from pointing fingers to sides so we can actually fix something, instead of each election standing on sides of the Lincoln memorial going "No, it's YOUR fault!"

/rant.

Directed at more of the commentors than the author. The author was probably trying to crack a joke. Then we had to get all serious about it. Killjoys.

April 10 2008 at 11:44 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Oreo

The Pats did get away perfectly clean. All the shit was pointless coverup, the Pats should have lost the game they cheated on, but then they couldn't get their perfect 16-0 record so the NFL looked the other way.

I agree with heinlein, the two stories combined didn't make a lot of sense. I did like the cheating part because I hate the Pats. However the penis parts of the episode felt like a middle schooler wrote them.

April 10 2008 at 9:09 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
bruce

Republicans, or more specifically right-wing fundamental religious people, are most definitely cheaters. They will do whatever it takes, no matter how unethical, to get their will forced on everyone else. The end always justifies the means because they "Know" that they are doing God's will. Toss out other words with capital letters like "Truth" and "His" and "Christ" and they can justify anything, no matter how immoral.

On another note, since when does Eric Cartman's opinion dictate what Trey Parker and Matt Stone think? If they're using Cartman as a mouthpiece for an idea, they probably greatly disagree with that idea.

April 10 2008 at 8:25 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
heinlein

I have to say that I felt this episode was one of the weaker ones (as opposed to last weeks), especially the whole Mr/Ms/Mr G penis story. Both stories could have been very funny, but they were delivered kind of flat (or maybe I'm just in a bad mood). When Matt and Trey wants to make a point, like how internet hasn't really established a general way to get paid for content and that WGA making deals about it may impact how episodes are distributed, they tend to use Kyle or maybe Stan. As someone said above Cartman's views are not to take seriously, especially not as what Matt & Trey thinks.

April 10 2008 at 8:14 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply
Chris Wyant

I don't know if I'd call their position "Republican." That's a very specific set of political ideals and labeling the show as such is a rather shallow way of dismissing some of Matt and Trey's ideas, particularly in this uber-polarized political climate. My take has always been that these guys are "radically moderate" and tend to show the fallacies on both sides (I'm thinking of Turd Sandwich vs. Giant Douche here). The satire is sharp and (usually) focused; and although these guys can be cynical, there's often this beam of optimism that suggests "everything's going to work out" (no matter what poor Butters goes through). I truly think this is one of the smartest shows on TV, as well as one of the most culturally important shows we have today.

And to add to what one of the commenters said, I don't think Cartman represents the opposite end of the moral spectrum, but in fact embodies that darker side of ourselves. I think Cartman represents what people are thinking, but nobody is saying... and also that Trey is a bit of a madman who needs that release. BTW, I am not condoning anti-semitism or prejudice or cheating to get ahead; just saying they're way more prevalent than we allow ourselves to think.

April 10 2008 at 7:51 AM Report abuse rate up rate down Reply